1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Just started this one. Two chapters later, and it's way past when I was going to sleep.

[​IMG]

2. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Fueco..bro....are those jammies?

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sorry, ami supposed to lounge around my house in a smoking jacket and dress pants? And no, I don't sleep in those.

2 people like this.
  4. Rowland

Rowland Well-Known Member

Water for Elephants is a great book in my opinion.

5. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I finished #20 (Firebreak), so I wanted to give an update. I would say most of them are fun and readable. I really dislike the ones from the 70s though (Deadly Edge to Butcher's Moon).

The ones from the second run (90s starting with Comeback to Firebreak at least) are surprisingly good. Probably as fun and readable as the first few. I thought they would be written just to cash-in on the name, but if they were then Stark/Westlake didn't write like it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Great novel. Gets overshadowed by pretty much everything else he wrote, especially Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov.

1 person likes this.
  7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Conclave by Robert Harris. Great read!

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so far

[​IMG]

Imbibe by David Wondrich

[​IMG]

Who Rules the World by Noam Chomsky

[​IMG]

Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and David Evans

[​IMG]

Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi

[​IMG]

The Productivity Project by Chris Bailey

[​IMG]

Trilby by George Du Maurier

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

[​IMG]

Just finished this one. Interesting story taking place within the bio dome. Not as potent as some of his recent works, maybe better suited for beach reading.
    Looking for the next read.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

[​IMG]

Just started this, looks promising

1 person likes this.
  11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Just finished Conclave by Robert Harris. I like Harris' work, generally good yarns, often historical fiction/mystery. This was a decent book until the last few pages revealed an ending so bad I'm angry I wasted my time with this turd.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  12. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I felt bad when he dropped the "Coraghessan" and shortened his pen name to "T.C. Boyle." That's a much more forgettable name to me.

I still enjoy his books, though.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Whatever you say, AnakinimeanDave.

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I actually can empathize with T.C. Boyle because for many years I was known as VaderMcSweenyDave. I dropped the "McSweeny" because it was too long for many forum username rules.

1 person likes this.
  15. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

An Easy Thing by Paco Ignacio Taibo. About a detective in Mexico City. Though unlike most fictional detectives, he has siblings that take part in the story and a few self-employed craftsmen that share the same office space. He takes 3 cases, 1 of which is about finding Emilio Zapata, a revolutionary long thought to be dead - according to the history books. A fun read that makes me think of James Crumley's detective novels. The detective, Hector, knows he's a little out of place, but he tries to get the job done, even as he knows he's stumbling around the dark and generally making mistakes. A likable guy in the confusing world of 1970s Mexico.

Mouche by Alain Demouzon. A French detective that takes a case from an old woman who happens to die before he can ask her some important questions. Nevertheless, he continues the case as it genuinely interests him (which naturally, as a Frenchman, is quite the accolade) which involves no one too helpful or trustworthy and everyone he gets in touch with seems to die shortly thereafter.

The Taste of Ashes by Howard Browne. A self-admitted Chandler disciple who once told him, "I've been making a living off you for years", Browne writes about a detective that is very much in the Chandler vein - disillusioned, self deprecating, and tough. While there are certain passages that read almost too closely to scenes from some of Chandler's stories, the novel as a whole is a pretty good detective novel. Maybe one of my favorites.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Bendis. A youth in Queens, after being bit by a radioactive spider and losing his uncle to a home invasion, decides to become a vigilante and finally ask out his neighbor, Mary Jane Watson. While trying to reconcile his old life with the new, he's guided by the wisdom of his late uncle: "With great power comes great responsibility". 10/10.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  17. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

^^^ A good segue:

I finished "Six Four" on Sunday. I must have missed something because everyone said it was one of their favorite crime novels ever. And while some of the twists were just stunningly well-thought out, I thought some of the plot got a bit tedious at times (do we really need 70 pages on media relations minutiae? I mean, even if the author is a journalist?). However I did think it was overall very very good and I can't wait for more of his work to be translated.

Started The Wicked go to Hell and I'm excited to see how this one plays out.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

[​IMG]
    About half way through the fictionalized account of Valentino Achak Deng's journey from South Sudan to USA. Very funny and harrowing (frequently at the same time).

[​IMG]
    This is a ginormous book. Just started it for when I want a break from What is the What. A little dry at the moment so I hope things pick up when the political/board room power grabs start.

19. romafan

romafan Senior member

Blood River, Tim(?) Butcher's account of his retracing Henry Morton Stanley's navigation of the Congo RIver

20. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Just finished "Young Money", by Kevin Roose. A nice quick read about following 1st and 2nd year recruits in investment banks. Brutal life!

2 people like this.