1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

The blurb on character histories was a particularly annoying feature of the Scudder novels.

I liked how most of the older detective series (Archer, Marlowe, Continental Op) did not bother with that.

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

Had a lot of airport time this last week so I finished:

Sapiens by Harari. Sort of Guns, Germs, and Steel but less overtly political and apologetic. Interesting book, but rehashes the Neo-Luddite Jared Diamond idiocy that hunter-gatherers are superior and we should abandon modern society and get back to hunting and gathering.

The Difference Engine by Gibson and Stirling. Something about Stirling's writing nags at me. It's like he's repeating himself or something. Great story though.

Protocol Zero from the Joe Rush series. Breezy thriller about a disease wreaking havoc in Barrow, Alaska.

The Bestseller Code could be pared down considerably, but loved the content. It's about the traits that bestsellers have in common and the algorithms that publishers can use to predict the, Also hits on publishing and novelists. Great read.

But What If We're Wrong by Chuck Klosterman. I love his work and this is more of the same. Tries to predict what people in the future will think about our modern time. Very interesting, in sort of a series-of-essays format.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

That's a lot of airport time!

1 person likes this.
  4. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

I've read all the Gunther novels and have really enjoyed them. I agree with your comment about repetition. I also find it amusing that Gunther basically becomes this Forrest Gumpian character over the course of the series in that he interacts with virtually every major individual in the Nazi leadership. On the other hand I like the historical fiction/noir aspect of the books and they never veer into cartoonishness.

1 person likes this.
  5. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

The Things They Carried by Tim O' Brien. Like most people, I prefer reading about WW2 to the Vietnam War, but I really like this.

2 people like this.
  6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Jesus. As someone who flys a ton, how quickly do you read? ("Quicker than your mom drops her panties for a dude").

Need to re-read this. :(

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Is good? I loved the "old LA" aspects of Ask the Dust.

Finished a couple quick reads lately … many others since I've been checked out a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

Yeah it's him older and successful (screenwriting) but still unhappy ie it's funny.

1 person likes this.
  9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

O'Brien is great. Going After Cacciato (sp?) is really good, too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. FLMountainMan

Depends on the subject matter. If it's John Grisham, I can do about 90-100 pages per hour. If it's something with more meat, around 70-80. Grief Observed took me forever, but I found it extremely thought provoking. I've always been a really fast reader - was the second person done on the Bar Exam, (but certainly not the highest scoring). It's kind of funny at work because subordinates hand me things to read and I read them and hand them back and they don't believe I actually read the document.

11. edinatlanta

Yeah I'm kinda jealous of uber-fast readers. I'm probably faster than average (but not much) and I'm easily distracted so...

12. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

Dude super-duper fast readers are just skimming. Anyone can do that.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Unless reading something out of obligation (school, work) I don't see the pleasure in ultra fast reading. I like taking my time with my books.

1 person likes this.
  14. edinatlanta

For my interregnum of books I am picking up "Lenin's Tomb"...again. Over six (or so) years much has been forgotten about the book partly because of time, partly because it is non-narrative and partly because there's complete information overload which is a good and bad thing. I am making it a goal to finish the book this year.

15. bullrams

bullrams Well-Known Member

Indeed a great book -- of course, Influence by Cialdini is gold-standard! Cialdini's Pre-suasion that just came out, is good enough -- if you like this genre.

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the rec! Will definitely check it out

17. FLMountainMan

That's my normal reading pace. Has been ever since I can remember. And I absorb it. The benefits of having two bookstore owners as parents and no friends to distract me as a child.:foo:

1 person likes this.
  18. FLMountainMan

Rereading The Tommyknockers by Stephen King and starting The Fireman by his son Joe Hill. Tommyknockers gets a lot of criticism, but I'm really enjoying (it's been at least 20 years since I read it). Beats the hell out of 11/22/63.

1 person likes this.
  19. MacJack

MacJack Active Member

I want to start The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes

20. edinatlanta

I finished Lenin's Tomb. There was six-year constant in my life: that I'd never finish it and... well, I did. However I am going to re-read a few of the reports because they were on interesting things that I've forgotten.

Started the Kon-Tiki Expedition. Have a few holds at the library but they are way down on the list.

1 person likes this.