1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I have read both of those (actually a couple of times each, back in the day). I was thinking about Rules of Attraction.

2. JFST

JFST Senior member

Not so good on my opinion.

3. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

I recall pretty entertaining. Def worthy of a vacay read.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Rules of attraction changed my life in college. It was my catcher in the rye.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Sphere and The Sound & The Fury.

The latter really isn't doing anything for me. It's good but as great as people say? I dunno... im only about 1/4 or 1/5 through.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Finished these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rather enjoyed both. Learned so much. The one on cognitive neuroscience was written by an old school hipster. Was a little self masturbatory but entertaining

Reading

[​IMG]

Which is fantastic. I'm going to pick up umberto eco's name of the rose cuz if it. Did not know Gibson was a fan.

Gave up on walden (like 60% done then he started listing things he bought and the prices and planting I think beans) and zen the art of motorcycle maintenance (Thinking and writing is so shallow and too self masturbatory. If I'm going to keep reading I need a reach around aka some kind of insight back)

Backlog of books is too long. I should stop reading articles on Twitter and Reddit

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  7. SirReveller

»zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Also bailed. Very disappointing given all the peeps who'd raved how transformational it is (was to them).

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah I've heard so much about it. It actually felt like reading walden (with the various truism like epiphanies) only not as relatable. Like a lesser writer attempted that kind of mentality.

Every book I read tho references other books that I now want to read. Never ending list. I want to read everything

1 person likes this.
  9. SirReveller

Really? OK add this to the list. So good.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That sounds really good. Def something I should read

1 person likes this.
  11. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I remember being very impressed with that book when I read it. I was also 18 years old. I dunno how well it would hold up if older, perhaps wiser me read it now. I do remember wondering at the time why the author was such a self-absorbed douche at the same time as being kind of wise/profound.

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'm a couple of hundred pages in now. It's not that good, but I will soldier on in hopes that at some point it becomes worth it.

13. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I'm into American Psycho right now. I tried rules of attraction but just put it down after awhile. Life is too short to push through novels I don't enjoy.

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I agree, but I get a little hibbley-jibbley if I quit a book halfway through. I'm a fast reader, though, so I should be able to polish this one off quickly.

1 person likes this.
  15. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block. It's my first read of the Matthew Scudder series. It's an easy read, nothing fancy, but it doesn't read like one of those early pulp novels. There's a certain...polish to the style maybe because the narrator seems less of a narrator and more of a troubled alcoholic detective.

Will continue reading the series.

2 people like this.
  16. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Okay. I read it. Not much to say about that other than I can perhaps use it as a touchstone reference anytime I wonder why so many people my age seem to be such self-absorbed a-holes.

17. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

[​IMG]
    Started this yesterday. It's pretty interesting so far. I had read about it on a sci-fi blog (probably io9) and thought I'd give it a whirl.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I enjoyed the relatively limited bits that actually dealt with motorcycle maintenance, and generally liked his efforts to use motorcycle maintenance analogies to illustrate certain simplistic, western-style zen lite concepts.

The parts that dealt with the relationship between the protagonist and his son were tolerable, although the son was portrayed as such a miserable, douchey caricature of sullen male adolescence that it made me that the author must have really hated/resented his kid.

The 60% or so of the book that was basically a demonstration of the protagonist/author's manic obsession with pseudo-philosophical theories was fucking unreadable and made me angry at everyone who has ever raved about the book to demonstrate their own coolness and seriousness.

It took something like 6 formulaic mystery/thrillers a couple of sci-fi/fantasy books to recover from that narcissistic bullshit.

5 people like this.
  19. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

The worst part was the epilogue he wrote years later to let everyone know that his son had been murdered outside of a Buddhist temple in Oakland or Berkeley or somewhere, after growing up to be a Much Better Person than You Will Ever Be. Even as a kid I rolled my eyes at that part.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ugh, yeah, forgot about that.

1 person likes this.