• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
I've started Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternel Golden Braid roughly five times, and I don't think I ever made it further than 1/3 of the way through.

I remember that book coming to my attention years ago, but I never picked it up. Maybe I should. The title fascinates me for some morbid reason.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently made a conscious effort to drop the quantity of trash I read. I've just finished crime and punishment, surprisingly readable, I was expecting a bit of hard work.
I'm currently into tender is the night, which had a few mentions earlier in the thread. Fitzgerald should be SF's house author, though Gatsby may be a bit close to the bone perhaps?

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
I'm currently into tender is the night, which had a few mentions earlier in the thread. Fitzgerald should be SF's house author, though Gatsby may be a bit close to the bone perhaps?

Recovering himself in a minute he opened for us two hulking patent cabinets which held his massed suits and dressing-gowns and ties, and his shirts, piled like bricks in stacks a dozen high.

"I've got a man in England who buys me clothes. He sends over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall."

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher"”shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

"They're such beautiful shirts," she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such"”such beautiful shirts before."

The Great Gatsby, Chapter Five

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Small Stakes Hold'Em by Sklansky. A really, really good book.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Life in Court - Louis Nizer

chas

Reaction score
Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins

1/2 way through and am having trouble putting it down.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had some time to myself today so I thumbed through Seamus Heaney's "North". Never gets old. Up next is O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just picked up John Banville's The Untouchable. I'm going to read (re-read in many cases) all of his novels in an effort to find a passage that struck me like no other. It basically defined the meaning of love. It was ethereal. P.S. If anyone knows the book/passage, feel free to save me all the trouble
laugh.gif

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Small Stakes Hold'Em by Sklansky. A really, really good book.

Sklansky, Malmuth, and Ed Miller, and it was Ed Miller (IIRC) was the primary contributor (per the preface).

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Now reading "The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith & Politics in a Post-Religious Right America" by Jim Wallis.

Up next, "Red Letter Christians: A Citizens Guide to Faith and Politics" by Tony Campolo or "Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq" by William R. Polk.

wackojacko

Reaction score
'Starter for Ten' by David Nicholls......classic, couldn't put it down and i laughed loads, very witty and amusing!!!

Zahir

Reaction score
Moby Dick. Really really good, much better than I was expecting, but a tad meandering. Sometimes I wish Melville would leave off the minutea of the 19th century whaling fleet for a chapter so I could get back to my brutal man vs. fish revenge novel.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zahir
Moby Dick. Really really good, much better than I was expecting, but a tad meandering. Sometimes I wish Melville would leave off the minutea of the 19th century whaling fleet for a chapter so I could get back to my brutal man vs. fish revenge novel.
Haha, everyone is reading this book. It's taking me forever to finish; I only read on my train ride and I'm also chipping away at Spinoza's Ethics. I'm on the home stretch, though. I should be done in a week. All criticisms of Melville and his distaste for editing aside, I think the superfluous whaling information aligns itself well with Ishmael. Consider that Ishmael is a schoolteacher, one that I felt at the beginning of the novel felt the need to justify anything and everything. His inferiority complex doesn't surprisingly lead him to whaling, but deep down inside, he might know that he is not so 'genuine' as other fisherman. Ishmael is a big nerd, the kind that would make long posts about the construction differences between Lobb and Greene bespoke shoes but is not actually a cobbler. That said, some parts of the book are boring as hell. Another thought I've had is that this book has a interesting merit as a possible precursor to existential literature. This book was written around the time of Kierkegaard and before Nietzche. Considering the topic's fresh nature at the time, I think the book does a rather good job in that regard.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One of my favorite writers is Thomas Mann. "The Magic Mountain", for me at least, is a very comforting book.

We all need our own Settembrini.

My favorite part is the discussion of how to wrap a blanket around yourself on the sunporch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads