1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

It's still one of my favorite books of all time. I remember finishing it and thinking "I wouldn't have minded another 500 pages of this at all." I first read it when I was 18 and even then I thought it was awesome.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Oh, sure. I wasn't endorsing that viewpoint of course. W&P is a really fun read.

3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

No worries. I didn't get that impression and intended my post to be in agreement with yours. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. javyn

javyn Senior member

5. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I finished The Rising yesterday and started American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett. The Rising was not as good as The Mechanical (which was pretty interesting but not exactly Shakespeare).

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Where should I start with Tom Wolfe? I feel like I need to read something of his.

7. Nil

Nil Senior member

"The Right Stuff" is always an excellent choice.

2 people like this.
  8. MaxJ

MaxJ Member

I'm currently reading 'Thinking About it Only Makes it Worse' by David Mitchell. A really enjoyable read! I love this guy's columns! Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse, by David Mitchell Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse, by David Mitchell

1 person likes this.
  9. Po1ntMe

Po1ntMe Active Member

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, very impressed with it.

10. PatricSka

PatricSka New Member

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky - really great post-apocalyptic science fiction.

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

[​IMG]

Pretty short but funny and interesting critique of modern architecture. Recommended for people like me, who have an interest in architecture but not much formal knowledge.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I read this when I was working at a mega architecture firm in Chicago who was housed in a Mies van der Rohe building. Made a lot of it hit home.

I've always liked the collection of his short essays. "The Kandy Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" being one of my favorites.

1 person likes this.
  13. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

[​IMG]

Luigi Pirandello - The Late Mattia Pascal

14. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Just finished "Foundation" and will be starting "Foundation and Empire" later today.

15. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I finally finished American Elsewhere last week. It started off great with a lot of mystery about what was going on, but by the end it sort of devolved into a typical "bodysnatchers" trope with a mildly-satisfying ending.

I just started Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. So far it's pretty interesting, but hardly deep reading.

16. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I will have to check this out. I'm always on the lookout for an entertaining book that teaches me something about professions I don't know much about. :)

17. 1907jb

1907jb Well-Known Member

Just finished:
    [​IMG]
    The plot was straightforward, and enjoyed the storytelling style.

Reading currently:
    [​IMG]

18. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Finished this. It was only okay.

Started this last night. I hadn't realized that it was only 90 pages (at least on my Nook app). I'm about 20 pages in and it's interesting so far.

19. boso

boso Well-Known Member

Re-reading this and can't put it down. Amazing how much better my reading comprehension is than in high school. Feel like I need to revisit almost everything I read [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Finished From Bauhaus to Our House this morning (woke up early, had a few minutes). It was interesting but I guess I was hoping for something a little more generally informative about architecture. This was much more about the various cults of personality that arose in the architecture world in the mid-20th century. I sometimes find Tom Wolfe's writing style a little off-putting.

I haven't started anything new yet--getting hibbely-jibbely about that (it's been almost three hours now).