1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. eluther

eluther Senior member

Really beautiful comparison between Murakami and Lynch – two points on the same dream-like gradient.

Murakami typically pulls off the subtle hints of the surreal with some more vivid flourishes of it, but I really felt like Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki didn't have enough of it. There was – for me – very little drive in finishing it. I kept hoping for the complexities of the world to unfurl, but it was almost monastic through and through.

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I'm just about to start Ulysses which I haven't read since college, many moons ago. I reread Portrait last month just to reacquaint myself with Joyce's style.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Just ordered:

[​IMG]

Was really hoping to purchase it from my local bookstore but the $6 price difference to Amazon just made it too hard. I'm going to hell

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Baller new job, you should be purchasing first editions hand illustrated by monks from a brick and mortar shop, plus paying the extra ten cents for a shopping bag.

1 person likes this.
  5. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

I see a lot of SFers do the milhist/heavy bios/grad lit thing which is cool. I just wanted to throw in that anything by Bukowski, HST or Irvine Welsh is fun if you're feeling a little rebellious. ie can't read Tolstoy or the Last Lion trilogy every night! ;)

*If you're feeling really really lazy/in an airport bookstore Elmore Leonard is can't miss too.

6. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

One. Hundred. Percent.

Frankly, if you've gone to the trouble of joining a finer-men's-things/fashions forum aaaand somehow haven't read most or all of Fleming's Bonds...well....get on that! LOL

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I love how Christie made Poirot so ridiculous and then wrote books where the narrators mocked him.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Tell us more about how this appeals to you.

1 person likes this.
  9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

2/3 of the way through The Secret History, by Donna Tartt. She's an incredibly engaging writer, whom I would like to bang in real life.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tried and True

I've met her and she does have a certain je ne sais quoi, which might be attributed to the Louise Brooks vibe. If she were a foot taller I would be enamored but I'm just not into tiny women.

11. edinatlanta

Well it's becau--hey, wait...

Also picked up "To Kill a Mockingbird"

So many classics I haven't read...

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Of course that wasn't part of your Georgia public school curriculum.

3 people like this.
  13. edinatlanta

It was, I just had shitty public school teachers who played pacman all day.

3 people like this.
  14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I like tiny little women! :inlove: She's over ten years older than me but I'd still do something long-term with someone like her. She apparently likes to be left along, so that makes her 90% perfect in my book.

15. Tried and True

Then you may be interested to know that there is a bordello in Zurich which specializes in midgets. They're quite beautiful, so I've been told.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
  16. JFST

JFST Senior member

The summer heat is unbearable so I throw Proust aside for a while and engaged in this fast paced novel.
    [​IMG]
    I really like his writing but this isn't as good as american psycho.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Not that tiny!

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I remember years ago I had a weeks-long trial in a courtroom with the laziest courtroom clerk I've every dealt with. (That's saying a lot. A lot of courtroom clerks are really great, and if I really need to get shit done I'm better off going to them than the judge. But when they suck, they really suck.) Basically everything the clerk was supposed to do during trial (collecting and maintaining exhibits, keeping track of what evidence had been admitted or excluded, etc.) the other side's lawyer and I had to do for ourselves. The best part was that from where I was sitting I had a clear view of his computer screen, and I could see that he spent all day, every day playing Warcraft nonstop.

3 people like this.
  19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I didn't think this was very good, but still enjoyed it. Books are like that sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Women, too. :)

2 people like this.