• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
You'll notice that spelling is not corrected in the quotations. This is one of the chief virtues of the book. The creative spelling of the men is sometimes touching, sometimes funny, and sometimes it reveals things like educational level and regional accent. I remember one soldier from Georgia writing to his wife about the good conduct of this "pusson" and the bad conduct of that "pusson."

I love this too in old writing. You would probably be tickled reading Clark's (of Lewis and Clark) expedition journal if you ever get the chance.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Man, try the Dosadi Experiment instead.
Herbert novels aren't mutually exclusive
smile.gif
I'll get to Dosadi after this series. As far as Passage to India, it was great....but "OMG GREATEST BOOK EVER?!" Gotta be kidding me. Probably next on my list (If I'm not distracted by a trash novel at the last minute) will be this:
_263087457382.jpg
edit: If anyone has a goodreads account and wants to be my buddy, hit me up.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Infinite Jest and then read A Supposedly Fun thing I'll Never Do Again. I'm David Foster Wallace'd out. Now I'm reading Kafka on the Shore. Not sure what i'll read after that, though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
400000000000000088762_s4.jpg
He examines the lives of Theodore von Karman, Leo Szilard, Eugene Wigner, John von Neumann, and Edward Teller and asks the musical question, why were these guys so ******* smart?

Hatch&Whisk

Reaction score
I've just recently started paradise lost. on book V currently and really enjoying Milton's writing. the structure isn't too difficult (especially since it was written in english to start with) and each book only being 30-40 pages of prose means it's easy to read, then put down to pick up again later

youngScholar

Reaction score
Reading Leo Strauss and Nietzsche by Laurence Lampert after I found it while looking for a birthday present for a friend. Also slowly plodding my way through Anti-Oedipus by D&G.
wink.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Aside from Fahrenheit 451, I've never read a sci-fi book, but I have the sudden urge to read one. What are some classics that are worthy reading?

jstupple19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Aside from Fahrenheit 451, I've never read a sci-fi book, but I have the sudden urge to read one. What are some classics that are worthy reading?
Required Reading (IMHO): Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut - Absolutely a must read, along with Cat's Cradle The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury - Yes, it was probably required reading in middle school, but as far as an entry into classic science-fiction, there are worse books to start with. Any Asimov anthology, if short stories are more your thing. Need I mention Douglas Adams and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? [The Handmaid's Tale] by Margaret Atwood - Now, is this sci-fi? Not sure, but if you like future dystopias, this is a good one. Probably forgetting some really obvious ones, but these were the first that sprung to mind.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1 on the Chesterton props
Just finishing The Russian Debutante's Handbook, trying to figure out what's next.

Additional classic SF:
Asimov, I, Robot or the Foundation trilogy (short story anthology is also a good suggestion)
Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Dune
A Canticle For Leibowitz
Ringworld
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend Neuromancer for sci-fi that's more on the cyberpunk end of things.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Dune. Classic. Best. Sci-Fi. Ever. Read the first six novels, or, at least, the first three. Neuromancer was good, but not "Sci-Fi", rather, cyberpunk. I liked it but a lot of things about it irritated me.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Aside from Fahrenheit 451, I've never read a sci-fi book, but I have the sudden urge to read one. What are some classics that are worthy reading, besides the first six in the Dune series and Neuromancer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics