1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Actually, it's one of the Dickens novels I haven't gotten to yet. Based on that recc^, I'll have to bump it up the list. I tend to approach law-themed books, movies, etc. with hesitation. That said, A Frolic Of His Own is a favorite of mine and have I always enjoyed the Rumpole novels, so that's more like a quasi-rule.

Another great Victorian novel with a legal flavor is Trollope's Orley Farm. Wonderful book.

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

For my book club I just read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

3. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

What a bad book.

I'm reading A. D. Nuttall's Shakespeare the Thinker, D. H. Lawrence's Women in Love, and a book of classical Arabic philosophy. Also assorted volumes of The Onion.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

What a bad book.

What don't you like about it? I have my own opinions about it, which I'm keeping to myself for the moment.

5. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

What don't you like about it? I have my own opinions about it, which I'm keeping to myself for the moment.

Oh dear, this could take the thread in a whole new direction. [​IMG]

6. crush

crush Senior member

1984 by george orwell

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

1984 by george orwell

Nice. I much prefer it to Brave New World.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I rather like the vaguely psychedelic Brave New World.

9. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I rather like the vaguely psychedelic Brave New World.
    +1 I actually wouldn't mind living in Brave New World, provided that I got to take part in the Soma-induced orgies. 1984 was supposedly a ripoff of a book that I can't recall at the moment.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Oh dear, this could take the thread in a whole new direction. [​IMG]

Well, not necessarily. If you're objecting to the premise of the book, then yes a hijack would be nearly unavoidable, and it would be best to agree to disagree and leave it at that. [​IMG]

However, if you feel that his writing has become leaden with the self-imposed weight of his task, or you think he's beating the same horse over and over, then no, there's no new direction here. The book doesn't sparkle like his Clinton and Kissinger books, I think he's tried to make it more substantial, and instead turned his normal golden prose into lead.

11. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

Today I bought The Rum Diary and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...decided to get acquainted w/ Hunter's work but I can't seem to find his books anywhere, and even then these were the only two i found in one of the better bookstores in this town. Am reading Rum Diary right now and it's pretty incredible, i love this style of writing. The part of humanity he portrays...let's just say i'm pretty fascinated with that kinda stuff.

12. Homme

Homme Senior member

I'm reading 'Down and Out in Paris and London', also by George Orwell. I quite like it. Some of the things he writes remind me of LabelKing:

"But i imagine the customers at the Hotel X were especially easy to swindle, for they were Americans, and seemed to know nothing whatsoever about good food. They would stuff themselves with disgusting American 'cereals', and eat marmalade at tea, and drink vermouth after dinner, and order a poulet a la reine at a hundred francs and then souse it in Worcester sauce.

One customer, from Pittsburgh, dined every night in his bedroom on grape-nuts, scrambled eggs, and cocoa. Perhaps it hardly matters whether such people are swindled or not" [​IMG]

13. Homme

Homme Senior member

"...For the first time i noticed, too, how the attitude of women varies with a man's clothes. When a badly dressed man passes them they shudder away from him with a quite frank movement of disgust, as though he were a dead cat. Clothes are powerful things..."

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I'm reading 'Down and Out in Paris and London', also by George Orwell. I quite like it. Some of the things he writes remind me of LabelKing:

"But i imagine the customers at the Hotel X were especially easy to swindle, for they were Americans, and seemed to know nothing whatsoever about good food. They would stuff themselves with disgusting American 'cereals', and eat marmalade at tea, and drink vermouth after dinner, and order a poulet a la reine at a hundred francs and then souse it in Worcester sauce.

One customer, from Pittsburgh, dined every night in his bedroom on grape-nuts, scrambled eggs, and cocoa. Perhaps it hardly matters whether such people are swindled or not" [​IMG]

Wow, that really is LK. I must read this book, not because of the LK thing necessarily, but it helps.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

16. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

"...For the first time i noticed, too, how the attitude of women varies with a man's clothes. When a badly dressed man passes them they shudder away from him with a quite frank movement of disgust, as though he were a dead cat. Clothes are powerful things..."

i love this line and want so much to believe that it is true...

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Wow, that really is LK. I must read this book, not because of the LK thing necessarily, but it helps.

Either me, or Kenneth Pollock, I think.

18. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

Anyone know of any good biographies?

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Lying around my table is the new Peter Carey, His Illegal Self, which I am dying to get into.
    I didn't even realize he had a new one out, thanks for the heads-up. That man is prolific. I'm a fan of his work, although I did not think Theft was one of his best.
    1984 by george orwell

:

With Orwell, I would rank both Animal Farm and Keep The Aspidistra Flying (two very different works) ahead of 1984, although the latter is obviously iconic. I have not read "Down and Out", but it sounds like I may have to. [​IMG]

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I didn't even realize he had a new one out, thanks for the heads-up. That man is prolific. I'm a fan of his work, although I did not think Theft was one of his best.

With Orwell, I would rank both Animal Farm and Keep The Aspidistra Flying (two very different works) ahead of 1984, although the latter is obviously iconic. I have not read "Down and Out", but it sounds like I may have to. [​IMG]

Homage to Catalonia?