1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. legorogel

legorogel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]g

Finally I read some complete fiction books again. Unimaginable refreshing compared to the average scientific journal article.

Dracula and Frankenstein is next on my list :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

This is great. What popular history should be.

[​IMG]

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the rec, Conne. But the term "popular history" makes me want to move it to the "pissing me off" thread.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

It bugs me too.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Why does the term "popular history" put you into a certain mood of PO'd?

6. lawyerdad

Mostly likely because I did not sleep well last night.
    But to the extent there's a substantive component (semi-rational reason for PO'ness), it would be the implication that history must be refined or packaged somehow -- by dumbing it down or embedding a story of time-traveling stoners (pot-smoking dudes).
    And while I don't think this is what is generally meant by the term "popular history", to my mind it has a suggestion of history presented in a fashion calculated to conform to what people want to hear.

7. L'Incandescent

I just take the term to mean that the text was not written with other professional historians as the intended audience, but rather the wider public. (In philosophy, we have books of "popular philosophy," and the term means basically the same thing: the audience is not other professionals.)

8. lawyerdad

That is a fair point (you are probably right), but I am like Humpty Dumpty (not really fat but like to pretend words mean what I think they mean).

9. L'Incandescent

I made a reference to Humpty Dumpty's theory of meaning in class the other day!

10. lawyerdad

Was the reference popular?

11. L'Incandescent

It should have been but it was not (popular).

12. lawyerdad

I'm sorry to hear that. A similar circumstance derived upon Sister Double Happiness, a great San Francisco band that never achieved the popularity it deserved.

13. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

14. lawyerdad

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

15. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

So far, finished Murakami's Rat Trilogy, Hard-Boiled Wonderland, Norweigan Wood, South of the Border/West of the Sun. Next in line is Dance, Dance, Dance (should've read it before South of the Border but somehow mixed up the publication dates). Enjoyed them all so far.

Next in line is War & Peace. The Pevear translation is hardly readable on the Kindle (lots of annotations and footnotes which need two clicks each--simply annoying), so I had to get a book. While I was at it, I picked up a few more. Crime and Punishment (Pevear/Everyman's Library Classics), The Brothers Karamazov (Pevear/Everyman's Library Classics), The Tale of Genji (Seidensticker, Everyman's Library Classics), Ulysses (Everyman's Library Classics), The Great Gatsby (Collectors Lirary, already read it, but I figured owning a hard copy wouldn't be too bad), The Count of Monte Cristo (Buss, Clothbound Classics). Hope the quality of them is decent. Anyway, these will be the books next on my list.

16. clockwise

clockwise Well-Known Member

I have read almost all Murakami's books and also enjoyed them tremendously. You shouldn't miss The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, usually regarded as his masterpiece and probably my favourite. I also strongly recommend his short story collections as well as Sputnik Sweetheart.

17. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll read them all. :)

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles was the first of his i read if you haven't read Kafka on the Shore read that before 1Q84

19. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Well-Known Member

Finally, finally, finally reading The World According to Garp. It's been recommended by everyone for ages, and now another person at work has brought it for me. Hello 500 page modern classic.

20. Adem000

Adem000 New Member

i like to read mostly historical book if i've free time..............
    some time i like to read religious books............... i also read Cold Blood by Truman Capote.............its realy nice and true feel for the peoples...............

Buy Pump Shoes Online

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013