1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just started Kant's Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten.

On my quest to read all of Murakami's novels, I'm halfway through the Trilogy of the Rat. Finished Hear The Wind Sing and I've almost finished Pinball, 1973. A bit odd but I enjoy them.

Has anyone seen The Reluctant Fundamentalist and read the novel? I remember enjoying the novel, but it's been some time, so I definitely plan to reread it before watching the movie.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Read the book back in 2008 going to see the film tonight at a preview prior to general release in Oz. Enjoyed the book.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Let me know how you liked it. Seems to receive mixed reviews.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Me personally I think it has too much ambiguity, very different from my memories of the book. Think it will divide audiences doesn't appear to commit to either a left or right position, takes the easy way out of hard questions about culture, politics and terrorism. A sanctimonious ending in my view. Glad I went for free would not pay to see it.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Enjoyed Harvest a lot - Jim Crace is always excellent. Now starting Life After Life. It probably wouldn't be my first choice (given that I had not even heard of it before), but the gf is reading it for her book club, so I'm reading it so we can talk about it.
    [​IMG]

6. jesask

jesask Senior member

I am currently reading a collection of essays by George Orwell.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The Emperor of All Maladies, A Biography of Cancer, by Siddhartha Mukherjee. A very well researched tome that covers many aspects of cancer: its biology, the history of cancer research and therapies, including the "War on Cancer", and the story of the American Cancer Society. After reading it I feel like I have a much better understanding of the disease, and the patient stories frequently moved me to tears, as they hit very close to home.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sounds interesting!

Just finished Pinball, 1973 and began A Wild Sheep Chase.

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

I'm alternating between Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" and Austin Grossman's "Soon I Will Be Invincible."

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Mod A Very British Style Richard Weight

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Six Years by Harlan Coben

Pronto, Riding the Rap, and When the Women Come Out to Dance by Elmore Leonard

Live by Night by Dennis Lehane

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I wound up reading "Never Let Me Go" in a couple of long reading sessions over the course of about 24 hours. It really hooked me. I have liked all of his books, though.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Hmm. I enjoyed Remains of the Day, but hated Never Let Me Go.

But sometimes you just hit a book at the wrong time and it doesn't "take" the way it might if you were in a different frame of mind.

14. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

15. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I've had that same thing happen with other books. I don't think I could read Ishiguro as a light summer read, for example. But for whatever reason, it was the right book at the right 24-hour time for me. I've never read it again, though.

16. Kai

Kai Senior member

17. Geoffrey Firmin

An English Affair Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo by Richard Davenport-Hines

18. Nil

Nil Senior member

I picked up "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by C.S. Forester last night on a whim and I've been enthralled with it. I'll have to run to the bookstore tomorrow and pick up "Lieutenant Hornblower" at the rate I'm going.

19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

My dad is a big fan of those books. They whole genre sounded dorky to me when I was a kid but I liked Master and Commander so maybe I should check those out.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Anyone interested in social history of the past 50 or so years would find a An English Affair enlightening and entertaining. The change in social morality and norms that you realise which have occurred since the 50's & 60's is both eye opening and hilarious. For example if you introduced a mate to a a tart who was older than 16 but under 21 and they shagged you could be charged with a criminal offence for procurement in Britain this law enacted in the 50's was not taken off the books till the late 90's and as for the BMA and homosexuals. Mind you the author reached for his thesaurus once too often but its a very eye opening and entertaining read. Above all its shows that for all their taste and character the Poms a were (still) a race of hypocritical class conscious wankers.