1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

Kant's Transcendental Idealism: An Interpretation and Defense
    by Henry E. Allison

My thesis is due much too soon...

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Eustace Diamonds.

3. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Eustace Diamonds.

Excellent! A Trollope fan! As soon as I finish Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit, I'm taking up Can You Forgive Her? (the first novel in the six volume Palliser series of which The Eustace Diamonds is the third).

Have you read Trollope's Orley Farm? Big favorite of mine.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Excellent! A Trollope fan! As soon as I finish Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit, I'm taking up Can You Forgive Her? (the first novel in the six volume Palliser series of which The Eustace Diamonds is the third).

Have you read Trollope's Orley Farm? Big favorite of mine.

No to Orley Farm. Can't say I'm really a fan, as I just started, but I like it all so far.

5. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

Working on Audacity of Hope. Next up is The 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene.

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Twelve Days of Terror by Richard Fernicola, which is about the Jersey Shore shark attacks of July, 1916. A rare piece of non-fiction for me, but it's been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile. I was a big shark nerd growing up, and every now and then I like to revisit my past.

7. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

Nothing That Meets the Eye by Patricia Highsmith

8. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Sputnik Sweetheart

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Picked up some more. Good stuff.
    Which did you ultimately choose, and why?
    The Closing of the American Mind
    by Allan Bloom

I read this years ago. I recall finding it sometimes insightful, sometimes smug and narrow.

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Picked up some more. Good stuff.
    Which did you ultimately choose, and why?
    John O'Hara - because when it became time to read an O'Hara, I already had one of John's books in my house and no one suggested I should start with a different O'Hara, let alone gave me a good reason to do so. I started with Assembly, which is a collection of short stories and was blown away. They are different in style from any other writers' that I have read, in a way that I like. I have not completed the collection, but I can see that style starting to wear on me after a while. Fortunately some of the stories have much more to offer than just the style. I have since put Assembly down for a bit to pick up Appointment in Samarra.

11. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

I read this years ago. I recall finding it sometimes insightful, sometimes smug and narrow.

I'd agree with that. I think his perception of the issue is insightful, but I don't always agree with his analysis of the causes and solutions.

I give Bloom credit, but he often seems to be very close to just asserting "I'm right, and you're all doing it wrong."

Of course, that doesn't make the issue any less real.

12. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Saul Bellow's Ravelstein is a roman a clef about Bloom.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I have since put Assembly down for a bit to pick up Appointment in Samarra.

I read this a number of years ago and recall liking it quite a bit. Don't think I ever read anything else by him, but now you've spurred me to think maybe I should.

14. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966-Rick Atkinson, just finished it this morning at 4am, then got up at 6:30 to go to school [​IMG]

On deck I have Gomorrah: A Personal Journey Into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System, and War and Peace.

IIRC this is the one that praises Wesley Clark as brilliant; read it and enjoyed it a while back.

Recently bought/borrowed:
    Madame Bovary
    Polysylallabic Spree
    Agnes Grey
    Wuthering Heights
    Bertrand Russell history of philosophy

Completed:
    The Driver
    Polysylallabic Spree
    Slaughterhouse 5

Chipping away at:
    Agnes Grey
    Wuthering Heights
    Illiad (again)
    Churchill's abridged history of WWII

15. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

'And Then You Die' by Michael Dibden. Italian police thriller. Very readable.
    ' Fuori Registro ', Domenico Starnone.

16. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

17. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

On a semi-related note, I just finished re-reading A Moveable Feast.

Sputnik Sweetheart

And on a more directly related note, I'm starting Kafka on the Shore tonight.

Also recently finished Augustus, by Anthony Everitt.

18. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Secret Parts of Fortune, by Ron Rosenbaum -- collected journalism... Apparently he wrote the story that inspired the movie Dead Ringers, and was one of the first journalists to cover phone phreakers...

19. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

I usually tend to read more than one book at any given time. Started on Melville's Moby Dick, almost finished Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table. And I got the huge Black Lizard Big Book Of Pulps collection for christmas, so I'm reading one story per day from that one.

Moby Dick is one of those books that make me embarassed why I haven't attempted reading them before. It seems quite magnificent. The Lethem book isn't quite on par with Motherless Brooklyn or Gun With Occasional Music, but it's entertaining and clever enough.

20. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I usually tend to read more than one book at any given time. Started on Melville's Moby Dick, almost finished Lethem's As She Climbed Across the Table. And I got the huge Black Lizard Big Book Of Pulps collection for christmas, so I'm reading one story per day from that one.

Moby Dick is one of those books that make me embarassed why I haven't attempted reading them before. It seems quite magnificent. The Lethem book isn't quite on par with Motherless Brooklyn or Gun With Occasional Music, but it's entertaining and clever enough.

I like your reading style! That's just the way I tackle books, several at a time.