What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

I'm a big fan of annotated books and Sherlock Holmes. How would you rate the annotations?

I think I have read somewhere that the Klinger edition is the ultimate Sherlock Holmes reference work, the annotations are so extensive and detailed that it really takes you forever to get through the stories. I found the annotations very good but sometimes wondered if it was really needed to explain everything in such detail. Luckily, you can take the reading piece by piece since Sherlock Holmes collected works are 50+ short stories and 4 rather thin novels.

I also found that the old style illustrations from the original publication (Strand magazine?) were to my taste. The design of these volumes is overall brilliant.

2. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

I just finished Book 1 of Your Face Tomorrow. Wish I knew I was going to have to read all three when I started it. I liked the first one, and have purchased the second, but it should be more transparent that it is one coherent novel and not three books that can stand alone by themselves. I promised myself I would not read anything this long until I finished Against the Day, but it is too late to go back now.

[​IMG] Volume 1 just keeps you guessing, nothing much happened in that one. I think volume 2 will make you mesmerized.

3. limester816

limester816 Senior member

[​IMG] Volume 1 just keeps you guessing, nothing much happened in that one. I think volume 2 will make you mesmerized.

Marias seems to be the next author I'm going to read-- where should I start? Also, can anyone comment whether the Spanish text is worth reading, or whether the English prose is still good? (I'm studying abroad next fall, trying to learn the language better).

4. grouper

grouper Senior member

The Naked Lunch, even with how little I can relate to the book, has me captivated. Burroughs is the most interesting writer I've read in a while...

yeah, too bad burroughs gets the least amount of mainstream recognition of all the beat poets. absolutely insane writing - i hope your edition of Naked Lunch also has the appendix "letters from a master addict" (or something to that effect) with it.

5. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

6. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Marias seems to be the next author I'm going to read-- where should I start? Also, can anyone comment whether the Spanish text is worth reading, or whether the English prose is still good? (I'm studying abroad next fall, trying to learn the language better).

Margaret Jull Costa has won prizes and lots of praise for her translations of Marias' work. I don't read Spanish myself so depend on translations to my languages.
    I would imagine that Marias is a tough read for non-native Spanish students!

I think a majority of Marias' readers will agree that his best books, excluding the trilogy, are:
    A Heart So White
    Tomorrow In the Battle Think On Me

My suggestion is to pick either one of these, doesn't matter which. You are likely to want to read the other straight after!
    The trilogy is such a major project and (particularly volume 1) slow moving affair that I wouldn't recommend it as a start.

7. Sammy3

Sammy3 Active Member

[​IMG]

Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front... Excellent so far, I love the day to day stuff. Pick up a copy if you are even a mediocre devotee of books on WWI.

8. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

I'm excited to start it. Thanks for the info.

9. milosh

milosh Senior member

I really loved that one! I have read almost all Murakami's novels and short stories. I rate The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles highest.

I've read Sputnik Sweetheart and After Dark and liked them both very much. I'll get The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles next. Thanks for the recommendation!

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

[​IMG]

Wanted to read it since February but the store never had it. Broke down and bought it online. Very good so far.

11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

13. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

The Company by Robert Littell

14. swaggerisaliability

swaggerisaliability Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm currently reading this and:

[​IMG]

15. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I'm currently reading this and:

[​IMG]

I've read some of Snowball, but I don't know why I stopped reading it. Really fascinating look into Buffet's psyche. I guess it was just the size of the book. LOL