Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. tricota

tricota Senior member

Henning Mankell's The Troubled Man...

2. dbc

dbc Senior member

[​IMG]

3. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

You're some well read fellas. Kinda random, but can anyone recommend a good book about the British Raj?

4. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

[​IMG]

I am reading the early years version... I don't believe Ferguson portrays an unbiased portrayal of this particular family, but interesting read so far. Pretty interesting how the House of Rothchild had so much impact in revolutions throughout the world.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

You're some well read fellas. Kinda random, but can anyone recommend a good book about the British Raj?

For a standard introductory narrative, the best option is Lawrence James' "Raj." Its a decent overview. If you want something more narrowly focused/academic (political, social, economic histories) I'd be happy to give recommendations.

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'm in the middle of a W.G. Sebald binge. Read The Rings of Saturn and Austerlitz. Just started The Emigrants. Vertigo is on hold at the library.

Nice

7. dexterhaven

For a standard introductory narrative, the best option is Lawrence James' "Raj." Its a decent overview. If you want something more narrowly focused/academic (political, social, economic histories) I'd be happy to give recommendations.

No, a general overview will do nicely. Thank you. This will be the next book I read.

8. Sammy3

Sammy3 Active Member

Try The Far Pavillons by M. M. Kaye There are two volumes. The author has a great eye for detail. I've read them many times.

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

My father-in-law just gave me Madoff with the Money by Jerry Oppenheimer to read. He was really interested in it because he used to work in that world and knows some of the people in the book. I could really care less about any of it, but I'll be a good sport and give the book a go. [​IMG]

10. barims

barims Senior member

[​IMG]

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]

Finally finished this. Took me about a month.[​IMG] Was totally worth it though.

You liked it? My dad has been telling me to read it ever since I found it in their library and asked about it.

12. dexterhaven

Try The Far Pavillons by M. M. Kaye There are two volumes. The author has a great eye for detail. I've read them many times.

Thanks. I'll check this out.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    You liked it? My dad has been telling me to read it ever since I found it in their library and asked about it.
    oh god! i read that back in the 70s!

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    if you liked robert anton wilson, try jonathan carroll. not nearly as 60s twisted conspiratorial, and much more human. but just as weird.
    i'm a mystery junkie. just finished charles huston's new "sleepless" and am halfway through the new elizabeth george.