1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

That book sort of sucker-punched me at the end. I found it quite moving.

Some kind of bittersweet Hemingway in a Norwegian forest. I'd like to try another one by Per Petterson. Did you read any others?

In the Wake, To Siberia and I Curse the River of Time seem to be the ones available in English translation.

2. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Some kind of bittersweet Hemingway in a Norwegian forest. I'd like to try another one by Per Petterson. Did you read any others?

In the Wake, To Siberia and I Curse the River of Time seem to be the ones available in English translation.

I haven't read any of his other books. I may have to pick one up.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

In addition to what I have already started (and not finished...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and several others) Parkening's first book on classical guitar technique.

4. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

The Alchemy of Finance - George Soros

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

The Confession by John Grisham

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG] Finished the Twins series. Good read but it started to flag a bit at the end. Hopefully this is a nice continuance to the series.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Halfway through "At Home: A Short History of Private Life," by Bill Bryson. I'm finding it easier to put down than his "Short History of Nearly Everything," but entertaining nonetheless.

8. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Some lighter reading now after Eco. Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, Christopher Kimball's The Kitchen Detective, and Jacques Pepin Celebrates. Bourdain is self-aggrandizing, his writing is contrived, and he rambles for the sake of name-dropping, but it's an interesting read in spite of that, for lack of a better source. Kimball/Cook's Illustrated have become my go to for "American" cooking and Pepin for "French."

9. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Some lighter reading now after Eco. Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, Christopher Kimball's The Kitchen Detective, and Jacques Pepin Celebrates. Bourdain is self-aggrandizing, his writing is contrived, and he rambles for the sake of name-dropping, but it's an interesting read in spite of that, for lack of a better source. Kimball/Cook's Illustrated have become my go to for "American" cooking and Pepin for "French."
    Since it seems like you're in a cheffy/food kind of reading mode, you should pick up a copy of Heat by Bill Buford. It's a great read.

11. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Since it seems like you're in a cheffy/food kind of reading mode, you should pick up a copy of Heat by Bill Buford. It's a great read.

Thanks. That looks right up my alley, I'll keep an eye out for it [​IMG]

12. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Just starting to read Mario Vargas Llosa - The Feast of the Goat (2001).
    I have high expectations of this one, a story about the corrupt and violent Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic.

I read his "masterpiece" (?) The War of the End of the World (1981) some 20+ years ago and found it good but a bit heavy going. Then read The Bad Girl (2006) a couple of years ago and I enjoyed that one a lot! Definitely a novel to be recommended - it has been called Vargas Llosa's Madame Bovary and is a story about a cruel but attractive and fascinating girl and the poor man for whom she becomes a life long obsession. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. unrated

unrated Senior member

4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss.

14. nickleanderson

nickleanderson New Member

at this time i am reading php program basics e-book

15. onion

onion Senior member

Going to see the author, Rick Rothacker, speak at the Charlotte Economics Club next week, so I figured I would read his book first.

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Senior member

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

18. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I'm reading The Fountainhead. I was becoming sick of listening to people express their love or hate of Rand without having the ability to chime in. I read about 5 chapters and I'm skeptical about how this could get stretched into 800 pages with the degree of obviousness that you are subjected to within the first two or three pages. I think I get it. Do the characters ever stop becoming caricatures?

19. phreak

phreak Senior member

Just finished Churchill by Jenkins American Psycho The Worldly Philosophers The Savage Detectives The Rum Diary All within the last month or so, but I have at least that long before I start my new job. I need recommendations. Nothing fantasy, American History, or by a Russian writer please. Maybe something on the French Revolution or just any fun, modern fiction

20. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Gai-Jin by Clavell. 2nd attempt at this book. Loved Shogun so much, Tai-Pan was nice too but somehow this book didin't hook me the first time around. Maybe also because I was trying to read it while living with an annoying roommate. Now however, I have my own place and the book seems to be pretty awesome so far.