1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

I'm reading Gatsby again. First time since high school. Oh man. The pale tone of detachment between characters is great. As is the imagery. As are the illusions.

The Sourcebook of Magic: 2nd ed
    -L. Michael Hall.

You two should get together.

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I haven't started yet, but I intend to read david cross' ''i drink for a reason''.
    I've heard that it is really awful. Even Cross fans hate it.

3. MrNick

MrNick Senior member

The Austrian Theory of Trade Cycles and other essays by Ludwig Von Mises, Gottfried Haberler, Murray Rothbard and Friedrich Hayek.

4. JoshuaC

JoshuaC Member

A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter

5. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Just finished "Superfreakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Now reading "World According to (Jeremy) Clarkson".

6. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

7. Homme

Homme Senior member

Lolita.

8. why

why Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hate reading plays unless I'm going to see them performed by competent actors. Even then, they're often so infused with ideology that the characters become fonts spewing forth political and sociological messages instead of dialogue. This is especially true of 20th century plays and almost a law after the invention of television.

No wonder Broadway is what it is.

9. bridgetbruston

bridgetbruston New Member

I'm just finished with "Mugabe" by David Smith & Colin Simpson (1981).

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

[​IMG]

The screen version with Richard Burton is quality.

11. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Senior member

Currently:

"Effects of overnight sleep restriction on brain chemistry and mood in women with unipolar depression and healthy controls." Bernier, et. al.

Riveting results linking magnetic resonance spectroscopy results in the dorsal prefrontal cortex and pons to physiological responses to sleep deprivation.

Also: various radiation physics textbooks

CAN'T WAIT TILL GRADUATION...the reading list has already been accumulating.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Currently: "Effects of overnight sleep restriction on brain chemistry and mood in women with unipolar depression and healthy controls." Bernier, et. al. Riveting results linking magnetic resonance spectroscopy results in the dorsal prefrontal cortex and pons to physiological responses to sleep deprivation. Also: various radiation physics textbooks CAN'T WAIT TILL GRADUATION...the reading list has already been accumulating.
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

13. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Senior member

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Thanks Connemara. That's a lot of zeros.

14. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I hate reading plays unless I'm going to see them performed by competent actors. Even then, they're often so infused with ideology that the characters become fonts spewing forth political and sociological messages instead of dialogue. This is especially true of 20th century plays and almost a law after the invention of television. No wonder Broadway is what it is.
    I haven't spent enough time reading plays to make a judgement of my own, but why don't you like reading plays, bad stage interpretations notwithstanding?
    The screen version with Richard Burton is quality.
    Noted. It's #18 on my list of 132 films that I'd like to see at one point or another. --------------------------- Reading:
    • The Awakening-Kate Chopin.
    • Barnes, Donna A., and Catherine Connoly. "Repression, the Judicial System, and Political Opportunities for Civil Rights Advocacy during Reconstruction." Sociological Quarterly
    • Leach, MacEdward. "Folklore in American Regional Literature." Journal of the Folklore Institute
    • A National Democrat. "Has the Conservative South a Presidential Candidate?" The North American Review
    Rereading:
    • Mississippi: An American Journey-Anthony Walton.
    Translating/reading:
    • Commentarii de bello Gallico-Julius Caesar
    • Breviarium-Eutropius
    • Res Gestae Divi Augusti-Augustus Caesar

15. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member