What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Finished Catcher in the Rye. Still don't know how i feel about it, but I'm glad I read it. Now restarting: [​IMG]

2. tor

tor Senior member

Finished Catcher in the Rye. Still don't know how i feel about it, but I'm glad I read it.

Now restarting:

[​IMG]

Ahh, Camus. Have you read L'Étranger?

3. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

I wasn't aware that there was a movie coming out. The whole time I was reading the book I was envisioning how they would do it in a movie. Honestly though, I just don't think it lends itself to modern cinema that well. A large part of the book, and of Wilde's work, is the witty dialogue. Modern audiences just don't have the patience for a scene composed entirely of dialogue. If you look at old movies that couldn't rely on special effects and ADD-accommodating action sequences, you realize that they relied on good dialogue. It seems to have been lost in modern movies.

That being said, I'll probably go see it anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/

Also on another note, if you saw the 2003 League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it has Dorian Gray in it.

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Also on another note, if you saw the 2003 League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it has Dorian Gray in it.

He was the only decent thing to come out of that film.

5. tor

tor Senior member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

And yes, I saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I didn't really quite understand why Dorian Gray was in there, but I was happy to see him there, even though I thought the movie was horrendous.

6. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

Interesting. Thanks for the link. And yes, I saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I didn't really quite understand why Dorian Gray was in there, but I was happy to see him there, even though I thought the movie was horrendous.
    oh come now. it had sean connery. how could it be horrendous with that phantahstiq axscent? i can't believe i'm more than halfway through [​IMG] and it's a damned good thing i'm reading The Sun Also Rises to keep me sane

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

^^^^

I just picked up the only copy my shitty bookstore had. Its Inferno (they didnt have the other 2 nor a compilation of all 3) its translated by Allen Mandelbaum.

Will go to a bigger bookstore later and grab the others.

Look for Ciardi's translation or the one from the Hollanders.

8. CityWanderer

CityWanderer Active Member

Currently reading The Savage Detective by Roberto Belano. I'm halfway through and not enjoying it too much but hopefully it picks up. Has anyone read any Murakami?

9. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Has anyone read any Murakami?

Much Murakami love in this thread.

10. videogeek

videogeek Senior member

^^^ I love "...Running" and just started Norwegian Wood a couple of nights ago.

Also reading Lamb by Christopher Moore. Started it awhile ago but left it on a plane.

Looking forward to winter break when I can put down the media law and persuasion texts and catch up on my fiction.

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

The Master and Margherita. Am enjoying it.

12. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

God's Gym, John Edgar Wideman

13. jimbo123

jimbo123 Senior member

Enjoying the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes. I've just finished 'A Study in Scarlet' and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. Great stuff.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

oh come now. it had sean connery. how could it be horrendous with that phantahstiq axscent?

i can't believe i'm more than halfway through
    [​IMG]

and it's a damned good thing i'm reading The Sun Also Rises to keep me sane

William Burgess wrote a good, short book that's essentially a gloss on, or guide to, Finnegans Wake. I recommend it.

15. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Currently reading The Savage Detective by Roberto Belano. I'm halfway through and not enjoying it too much but hopefully it picks up. Has anyone read any Murakami?

Read Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood, and Sputnik Sweetheart last month. Have a few other Murakami novels on my list.

Currently reading a short story collection by Garcia Marquez called Strange Pilgrims. Have the Autumn of the Patriarch on my list next.