Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'll definitely be checking out more of him based on the merits of this book.

My one major beef with Myth of the Rational Voter is the title. To me, holding untrue biases and voting based on those urges does not equate to irrationality.

For one thing, the probability of ones own vote being the decisive one are extremely small, so when you use that probability to weight a favorable public policy outcome the actual actual utility derived by the voter is tiny, hardly enough to justify the effort it takes to become educated on the issue, or even make it to the polls.

Another argument against irrationality is that if the voter's choice is wrong, he rarely has to worry about the negative effects- the cost of the harm is spread across the entire society.

My point is it's not hard to imagine the pleasure a voter derives from reinforcing his preconceived/uneducated life-outlook at the ballot could outweigh the negatives, and is entirely a rational choice.

But doesn't your hypothetical voter have to be educated/sophisticated enough to appreciate the trade-off for the decision to be rational?

2. binge

binge Senior member

I recently read
    [​IMG]

and its follow-up
    [​IMG]

I much preferred the former.

3. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

read/finished charlie huston's "my dead body" tuesday and wednesday.

reading james ellroys "bloods a rover" and liking it.

4. JoshuaC

JoshuaC Member

reading 2666 by Roberto Bolano

5. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

Midnight's Children

6. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I am just not getting into "Crime and Punishment." I'm going to set it aside for now.

Up next:

[[/IMG]

Pussy.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

^^^ Caplan is great. There is an excellent video of him at that talking heads, or whatever, site.
    You guysprobably have some major disagreements (note, read it, it's not bad. Not sure I could stand a whole book though): http://economics.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm This guy was doomed to dislike the pop at large, think of the wedgies he received: [​IMG]

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You guysprobably have some major disagreements (note, read it, it's not bad. Not sure I could stand a whole book though):
    http://economics.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm

No, I think that is generally right. He is a pretty dorky looking guy. Now I have to be on the lookout for Mr. Moo.

10. Fuuma

No, I think that is generally right. He is a pretty dorky looking guy. Now I have to be on the lookout for Mr. Moo.

Did he make you cry? I hate when some random guy in shorts and knee-socks insults my virile appearance, messes with my confidence. Learning that I couldn't be pretty because I wasn't 6'2" already totally destroyed me so I don't need to ear any more negativity.

Did you rwad the book, I guess I am tempted (it's topic of interest), just not sure I could stand say 300pages of the guy.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Did he make you cry? I hate when some random guy in shorts and knee-socks insults my virile appearance, messes with my confidence. Learning that I couldn't be pretty because I wasn't 6'2" already totally destroyed me so I don't need to ear any more negativity.

Did you rwad the book, I guess I am tempted (it's topic of interest), just not sure I could stand say 300pages of the guy.

I did, or at least I read most of it. The guy I mentioned, Buchanan, who both started that field and that department, is a favorite of mine, and I think he is far more profound than Caplan, but the book was interesting, and challenged some assumptions we all take for granted. I don't think you need to read it all, but it is worth checking out.

12. Fuuma

I did, or at least I read most of it. The guy I mentioned, Buchanan, who both started that field and that department, is a favorite of mine, and I think he is far more profound than Caplan, but the book was interesting, and challenged some assumptions we all take for granted. I don't think you need to read it all, but it is worth checking out.

The thing is Caplan wrote an editorial announcing his book that you can find on the Cato institute website and I read it and sorta got his point. Not sure I wanna see a book long demonstration unless he brings something more than presenting proof.

13. mumma

mumma Senior member

Gustave Flaubert - L'Education sentimentale

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Midnight's Children

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Almost through with my annual pass through the Best American Essays/Short Stories/Mystery Stories series.