What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

[​IMG]

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Herta Mueller just won the Nobel for Lit. Anybody ever read anything by her? I pride myself on knowing obscure writers, but I've neither read anything nor even heard of her.

I know the Nobel is largely political in its choices, but how has Philip Roth not won? I can't think of a living writer who has contributed as much or who continues with his newest books to outdo himself every time like Roth.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Finally finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - excellent page-turner. Have since started

[​IMG]

And "The Girl Who Played with Fire"

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Finally finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - excellent page-turner.

I loved this. Surprisingly good.

I will read this on my next plane flight.

6. Fuuma

I loved this. Surprisingly good.

I will read this on my next plane flight.

Do you ever read non-fluff? Just curious I thought you were mixing it up. Right now I only read fluff but I'm sorta tired of it so I'll go back to a healthy mix.

7. itsstillmatt

Do you ever read non-fluff? Just curious I thought you were mixing it up. Right now I only read fluff but I'm sorta tired of it so I'll go back to a healthy mix.
    Yes, I usually read non-fluff. This was probably the first book of its kind I had read in a few years. For non-fluff I am generally partial to non-fiction, but I have been reading, and sometimes even enjoying, non-fluff fiction over the past year or so. It was actually a really good book.

8. Fuuma

Yes, I usually read non-fluff. This was probably the first book of its kind I had read in a few years. For non-fluff I am generally partial to non-fiction, but I have been reading, and sometimes even enjoying, non-fluff fiction over the past year or so.

It was actually a really good book.

I'm pretty bad on the non-fiction/non-art/sociology/philosophy/anthropology/psych/etc. (you get the idea) front. I almost never read a book on say Mathematics, Science or current events. I'm the kind of guy that has never read guns, germs and steel or those type of works. Well I did pick up the tipping point but it was vomit-inducing.

9. itsstillmatt

I'm pretty bad on the non-fiction/non-art/sociology/philosophy/anthropology/psych/etc. (you get the idea) front. I almost never read a book on say Mathematics, Science or current events. I'm the kind of guy that has never read guns, germs and steel or those type of works. Well I did pick up the tipping point but it was vomit-inducing.
    I'm the same. I don't think I have ever read one of the pop non-fiction books. I listened to Tipping Point on a drive to LA, but finally turned it off when he wouldn't stop selling his favorite band. I do read math books once in awhile, and sometimes I will go through a streak of trying to relearn some forgotten concepts. I know nothing about science, but wish I did.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yes, I usually read non-fluff. This was probably the first book of its kind I had read in a few years. For non-fluff I am generally partial to non-fiction, but I have been reading, and sometimes even enjoying, non-fluff fiction over the past year or so.

It was actually a really good book.

Seconded on the really good: I don't quite know how to put this, but Larsson mixed plot, character development, and background discourse on financial journalism into a seamless and well-paced story.

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

BORN TO RUN by Christopher McDougall

This is my 2nd read of this book. A great read. It is much more a book about about running. Like Lance Armstrong's first book, "It's Not About the Bike".

Unlike most non fiction books like this, there are no pictures. But then, there is no need for them. Using words, the author paints the most vivid pictures in our imagination.

12. Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Vince Lombardi's Ghost Well-Known Member

Leap by Rick Smith. I'm not usually one for business style self help book but I'm making an entrepreneurial venture and decided to see if I could fine a bit of extra motivation in the pages. Plus, it was recommended by a good friend who's advice I trust.

13. jesask

jesask Senior member

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

14. _cameosis_

_cameosis_ Well-Known Member

ftfy
    by the way, from which video clip is the screen cap taken? thanks.

15. jon bones

jon bones Senior member

got the ol' text message of doom "i feel like i need to be alone for a little while and i think you need to too"

heyooooo time to check up on the seeds i've been sowing, make plans with the guys and re-read this. again.

[​IMG]