Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Richard Branson is great. One of the few people I openly envy.

2. jimbo123

jimbo123 Senior member

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I thought it was a very suspenseful story but I didn't like the direction they took things in the final act.

3. surrender

surrender Senior member

"The War For Muslim Minds" by Gilles Kepel

optional reading for one of my undergrad classes, never got around to reading it until know

4. StephenHero

A SF favorite it seems....

[​IMG]

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

A SF favorite it seems.... [​IMG]
    +100000000000000000

6. StephenHero

For my next book, I've got this one lined up. Anybody read it?

[​IMG]

7. Connemara

Picked up some poetry today. Dylan Thomas: Druid of the Broken Body by Aneirin Talfan Davies, The Great Hunger by Patrick Kavanagh, and Complete Poems by Kavanagh.

8. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

A SF favorite it seems....

[​IMG]

Never Let Me Go is better.

[​IMG]

Best. Book. Evar.

9. Connemara

Never Let Me Go is better.
    I find that very hard to believe, but I've only read like ten pages of NLMG.

10. StephenHero

On Goodreads, Never Let Me Go scores a 3.65 compared to Remains of the Day's 4.07. I picked up Remains of the Day first for that reason, just as I'm gonna read Murakami's highest rated work first. I think there is usually something to be said for collective criticisms as it makes searching for music and books so much more efficient.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I find that very hard to believe, but I've only read like ten pages of NLMG.

On Goodreads, Never Let Me Go scores a 3.65 compared to Remains of the Day's 4.07. I picked up Remains of the Day first for that reason, just as I'm gonna read Murakami's highest rated work first. I think there is usually something to be said for collective criticisms as it makes searching for music and books so much more efficient.

I don't know anything about reviews, all I know is that I read both in the last year and thought that Never Let Me Go was slightly more interesting. Both are worth reading.

12. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

Re-reading:

God is Not Great by Hitchens.

On women and food, you're one of my favorite posters, but that book is trash.

I'm not particularly bothered by the grimness or the unwaveringly graphic violence; in fact, those scenes almost always end up leaving me cold (Someone told me I must be really fucking jaded). The problem I have with the book is the language. It's unrelenting, yes, but only in how overwrought and try-hard it is. I don't think it lacks originality, but rather, subtlety.

I'm sure McCarthy fanboys will come in saying I just don't know how to read the book, but I kind of 'got it' after the first 5 pages.

I can't help but feel that the scenes of carnage are one of the glories of the book, terrible as that sounds. They are not so much dispiriting as exhilarating. And the language . . .

I don't expect every author to write like that, but Jesus Christ. Out of context, on an Internet forum, that writing still stuns me. In context it can be overwhelming. I could almost assent to your judgement that it is overwrought until I return to the book and find again that the cumulative effect of the language is that it seems not literary at all, not written but rather emerging somehow naturalistically, inevitable.

This is achieved, I think, by the lack of authorial commentary and other novelistic devices, by the stringing together of evocative scenes so that it becomes more a prose epic than anything else. Yes, it's about the farthest thing from Hemingway or Evelyn Waugh or any of a slew of bland contemporary authors one could name, but I can't help but feel it is perfect for McCarthy's terrain (in all senses). At its best it is sublime.

--------

As for me, I'm currently reading Patrick White's Voss (incredible novel), the bilingual Selected Poems of Luis Cernuda (translated by Reginald Gibbons), Auguste Rodin by Rainer Maria Rilke, Celan: Poet, Survivor, Jew by John Felstiner (highly recommended), and the July/August issue of Monocle.

13. Treen

Treen Senior member

Currently: We by Yevgeny Zamyatin When I've finished that: The Trial by Franz Kafka I like it, the dystopian fiction.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Re-reading:

god is not Great by Hitchens.

As much as I like Hitch, I didn't care much for that book. I thought he was trying way too hard.

[​IMG]

I recall liking quite a bit.

Just finished:

The Italian Secretary (C. Carr)
    Harry Potter Books 6 and 7

Now reading:

The Inner Circle (TC Boyle)

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    The Accidental Billionaires:
    The Founding of Facebook A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal