What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. guyferguson

guyferguson Affiliate vendor

Funny, a guy from BC recommended I read this two days ago. Are you him!?

Haha, nope not me. Weird coincidence, or maybe not? Hesse seems to be exceedingly popular on the West Coast. I think it's all of our hippy-era parents passing his books down, because they still think Steppenwolf is just about drug induced orgies and listening to Jazz.

It's a great read though, so consider this a second recommendation. Particularly if you are unfamiliar with Hesse's prior work. This one serves as a nice culmination of the themes and philosophies that define his catalog.

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Just completed Methland, a look at how methamphetamines essentially wrecked a small-ish town in flyover land, Oelwein, IA. NYTimes review I lived as a child in Oelwein; my sister was born there; and parts of my family continues to live in or nearby.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Surprisingly good for what it is. I love nonfiction, but wasn't turned on by the subtitle, "The Ethics of What We Eat." Ethics are a touchy subject for me. Basically, he takes an in-depth look at the food industry (agriculture, food processing, fast food) and it makes everything seem much worse than it is. He keeps it real though. It's down to earth, refrains from being preachy (I can still eat beef, although he basically bashes it for the entire first section of the book.)

I'm not sure I agree that he "makes everything worse than it is". I took the book as being as much about his ruminations about the various issues he looked at than about making definitive judgments. Regardless, I'd respectfully suggest that you neglected to mention the most important thing about the book -- it's very well written.

Just finished William Vollman's "An Afghanistan Picture Show", which I enjoyed.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Currently reading The Economic Growth of the United States, 1790-1860 by Douglass North and Without God, Without Creed: The Origins of Unbelief in America by James Turner. [​IMG]

5. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

One Drop of Blood: The American Misadventure of Race by Scott Malcomson

I do believe our book collections would get along quite well together...

6. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Stiff: The Curious Life Of Human Cadavers- Mary Roach

Great book, a little squeamish but often fun. Makes you want to donate your body "to science" just to piss off your remaining family.

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

OK, changed my mind. Taking a break from non-fiction. [​IMG]

8. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

I do believe our book collections would get along quite well together...

Perhaps.
    Making Race and Nation: A Comparison of the United States, South Africa by Anthony W. Marx is next.
    Fwiw, I'm determined to finally make sense of something that has never made sense to me.

9. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Perhaps.
    Making Race and Nation: A Comparison of the United States, South Africa by Anthony W. Marx is next.
    Fwiw, I'm determined to finally make sense of something that has never made sense to me.

Excellent book (if long and a bit redundant). I chose review that book for my Comparative Historical Methods (sociology) course a couple years ago. I can float you the 2 page review if I still have it. Pm me.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

ehm, Right now..

The Italian Secretary - Caleb Carr (continues the Sherlock Holmes stories)
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (saw the movie, might as well read the damn thing)
    The Inner Circle - T.C. Boyle

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Just completed Methland, a look at how methamphetamines essentially wrecked a small-ish town in flyover land, Oelwein, IA.

NYTimes review

I lived as a child in Oelwein; my sister was born there; and parts of my family continues to live in or nearby.

Whoa - what was it like to read that?

12. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It is very well done. The best book I have read recently was A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Twain. He is far and away my favorite author.

13. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Now, I've been proselytizing people about this book for the past year and a half. It's a great book, but it really just pertains to America's eating dysfunction. Someone is France would get much, much less out of this book. That being said, he bashes only the industrial beef industry, from which of course the vast majority of Americans get their beef.

Not only that, but I don't think he does much editorializing - and if he "makes everything seem much worse than it is", then consider that maybe you are just interpreting it that way. There's a lot of things I discovered in that book that found disturbing, but I don't think my opinion was manipulated in one direction or the other by the author.

Sounds like you'd be interested in the documentary Food, Inc. Just saw it the other night. More an important documentary than a "great" documentary.

It's running in fairly limited release, but if you get a chance don't miss it.

http://foodincmovie.com/

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sounds like you'd be interested in the documentary Food, Inc. Just saw it the other night. More an important documentary than a "great" documentary.

It's running in fairly limited release, but if you get a chance don't miss it.

http://foodincmovie.com/

Michael Ruhlman had a great write-up on his blog about it. Admitted that he cried at the end of it. I am very interested in seeing this.

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Finished E=mc2: Biography of the Equation. Now starting Blood Meridian.