What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jesask

jesask Senior member

I just finished Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman.

Today, I started The World at Night by Alan Furst...I love his stuff.

2. jptoor

jptoor Well-Known Member

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Surprisingly good for what it is. I love nonfiction, but wasn't turned on by the subtitle, "The Ethics of What We Eat." Ethics are a touchy subject for me. Basically, he takes an in-depth look at the food industry (agriculture, food processing, fast food) and it makes everything seem much worse than it is. He keeps it real though. It's down to earth, refrains from being preachy (I can still eat beef, although he basically bashes it for the entire first section of the book.)

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Surprisingly good for what it is. I love nonfiction, but wasn't turned on by the subtitle, "The Ethics of What We Eat." Ethics are a touchy subject for me. Basically, he takes an in-depth look at the food industry (agriculture, food processing, fast food) and it makes everything seem much worse than it is. He keeps it real though. It's down to earth, refrains from being preachy (I can still eat beef, although he basically bashes it for the entire first section of the book.)

Now, I've been proselytizing people about this book for the past year and a half. It's a great book, but it really just pertains to America's eating dysfunction. Someone is France would get much, much less out of this book. That being said, he bashes only the industrial beef industry, from which of course the vast majority of Americans get their beef.

Not only that, but I don't think he does much editorializing - and if he "makes everything seem much worse than it is", then consider that maybe you are just interpreting it that way. There's a lot of things I discovered in that book that found disturbing, but I don't think my opinion was manipulated in one direction or the other by the author.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I just finished The Perfectionist by Rudolph Chelminski. It's about Bernard Loiseau, the French chef who committed suicide in 2003 when a lot of things culminated into his wrong belief he was going to lose his third Michelin star. That certainly wasn't the only reason behind his suicide, but it is a contributing factor. Anyway, really good book. Would recommend to anyone.

And I'm now reading Ma Gastronomie by Fernand Point. Really great book, and very inspiring.

5. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Just finished Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I knew absolutely nothing about Barris before reading it. Is there any truth to the book?

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Now, I've been proselytizing people about this book for the past year and a half. It's a great book, but it really just pertains to America's eating dysfunction. Someone is France would get much, much less out of this book. That being said, he bashes only the industrial beef industry, from which of course the vast majority of Americans get their beef. Not only that, but I don't think he does much editorializing - and if he "makes everything seem much worse than it is", then consider that maybe you are just interpreting it that way. There's a lot of things I discovered in that book that found disturbing, but I don't think my opinion was manipulated in one direction or the other by the author.
    Try reading Fast Food Nation. Definitely an eye opener.

7. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Senior member

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I just finished The Perfectionist by Rudolph Chelminski. It's about Bernard Loiseau, the French chef who committed suicide in 2003 when a lot of things culminated into his wrong belief he was going to lose his third Michelin star. That certainly wasn't the only reason behind his suicide, but it is a contributing factor. Anyway, really good book. Would recommend to anyone.

And I'm now reading Ma Gastronomie by Fernand Point. Really great book, and very inspiring.

Drugs?

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Brother Number One - A Political Biography of Pol Pot

10. APK

APK Senior member

Just finished Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I knew absolutely nothing about Barris before reading it. Is there any truth to the book?

I haven't read the book, seen the movie, or dug too deep into the subject, but aren't Barris' claims pretty heavily disputed?

11. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

One Drop of Blood: The American Misadventure of Race by Scott Malcomson

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Drugs?

No. History of mental illness (bipolar), money problems, started to lose his excellent rapport with journalists, and he was a hardcore classical French food guy at a time when Michelin started to value innovation. Lot of things, but drugs were never anything to him. They would just have gotten in the way of his work.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

No. History of mental illness (bipolar), money problems, started to lose his excellent rapport with journalists, and he was a hardcore classical French food guy at a time when Michelin started to value innovation. Lot of things, but drugs were never anything to him. They would just have gotten in the way of his work.

Tragic. I remember when this occurred and dismissed his death because, well, I didn't know what mental illness could do to a person. Now I feel otherwise.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Just got these yesterday and totally looking forward to reading them:

Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World / Science As A Candle In The Dark

Uhl - Imagine No Superstition

Campbell - The Hero With A Thousand Faces

Smith - Men's Style

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Just got Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and it is off to a fantastic start. I loved his American Gods, Anansi Boys, Good Omens, and I've watched Mirror Mask (didn't know it was based on a Neil Gaiman book at the time.