• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just finished Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Really well done - excellent concept, excellent execution, really good character development. Pretty heartwrenching near the end. I still don't think he writes as effortlessly as Murakami, but his ability to shift styles (just compare it to Remains of the Day) is really amazing to me.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
Just started reading The Road after having it requested numerous times. I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy before and I must say this is taxing to read. Not necessarily the vocabulary, though, mostly just the "formatting" for the lack of a better word.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

It gets better, but I still think it is a bit overrated by guys who really want to love it/be macho. It ends up being a really interesting story and you will get more emotionally involved by the end. But the strange dark and somewhat detached from the character's minds writing style he uses isn't really my favorite.

I wonder if this is something he just does in this novel to set the mood or if his style is similar in his other books. I'm sure someone else can pipe in on that.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Just finished Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Really well done - excellent concept, excellent execution, really good character development. Pretty heartwrenching near the end. I still don't think he writes as effortlessly as Murakami, but his ability to shift styles (just compare it to Remains of the Day) is really amazing to me.
I was going to read Never Let Me Go a few weeks ago but started another book instead. Now I'll have to read it next. Remains of the Day is one of the best-written novels I've ever read.

Sesner

Reaction score
Hard Times by Charles Dickens, its a bit too long and the prologues at the beginning of each chapter make me want to pull out my hair, blah

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just finished "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. Great book on this German guy who has flooded the very old and rare wine market with counterfeits - fooling all of the most respected wine experts in the world during the process.

Highly recommended.
fing02[1].gif

BP348

Reaction score
The Presidential Agent series by W.E.B. Griffin

TheGreek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I just finished "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. Great book on this German guy who has flooded the very old and rare wine market with counterfeits - fooling all of the most respected wine experts in the world during the process.

Highly recommended.
fing02[1].gif

Sounds like a good book.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto

fixing to start

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

samurai

Reaction score
"Ego And Archetype" by Edward F. Edinger M.D. A truly great book to read slowly, digest every paragraph and learn from. Recommended.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Just finished Heat by Bill Buford. Solid book.
Currently reading The Perfectionist by Rudolph Chelminski and Ma Gastronomie by Fernand Point.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm reading my first David Sedaris book: "When You are Engulfed in Flames". I've heard through y'all and my friends (don't worry, I just mean "non-cyber friends") that this is the weaker of the books by him - so I look forward to reading his others.

jaac

Reaction score
Some fun stuff by Ben Elton. Past Mortem and Dead Famous, enjoyable easy reading.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I'm reading my first David Sedaris book: "When You are Engulfed in Flames". I've heard through y'all and my friends (don't worry, I just mean "non-cyber friends") that this is the weaker of the books by him - so I look forward to reading his others.

I've been listening to Me Talk Pretty One Day on audiobook (torrent). It's somewhat amusing, but my expectations were too high to begin with.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway. Some are better than others. The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber is really, really good though.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patriots edited by Chris Appy is a great reflection of the Vietnam Era from so many different perspectives...also flipping through a few other histories

Island at the Center of the World by Russell Shorto

and

Forever Free The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction by Eric Foner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads