What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Just finished Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Really well done - excellent concept, excellent execution, really good character development. Pretty heartwrenching near the end. I still don't think he writes as effortlessly as Murakami, but his ability to shift styles (just compare it to Remains of the Day) is really amazing to me.

2. MetroStyles

Just started reading The Road after having it requested numerous times. I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy before and I must say this is taxing to read. Not necessarily the vocabulary, though, mostly just the "formatting" for the lack of a better word.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

It gets better, but I still think it is a bit overrated by guys who really want to love it/be macho. It ends up being a really interesting story and you will get more emotionally involved by the end. But the strange dark and somewhat detached from the character's minds writing style he uses isn't really my favorite.

I wonder if this is something he just does in this novel to set the mood or if his style is similar in his other books. I'm sure someone else can pipe in on that.

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Just finished Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Really well done - excellent concept, excellent execution, really good character development. Pretty heartwrenching near the end. I still don't think he writes as effortlessly as Murakami, but his ability to shift styles (just compare it to Remains of the Day) is really amazing to me.
    I was going to read Never Let Me Go a few weeks ago but started another book instead. Now I'll have to read it next. Remains of the Day is one of the best-written novels I've ever read.

4. Sesner

Sesner Member

Hard Times by Charles Dickens, its a bit too long and the prologues at the beginning of each chapter make me want to pull out my hair, blah

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I just finished "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. Great book on this German guy who has flooded the very old and rare wine market with counterfeits - fooling all of the most respected wine experts in the world during the process.

Highly recommended.[​IMG]

6. BP348

BP348 Senior member

The Presidential Agent series by W.E.B. Griffin

7. TheGreek

TheGreek Senior member

I just finished "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. Great book on this German guy who has flooded the very old and rare wine market with counterfeits - fooling all of the most respected wine experts in the world during the process.

Highly recommended.[​IMG]

Sounds like a good book.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Just finished Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto

fixing to start

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

9. samurai

samurai Senior member

"Ego And Archetype" by Edward F. Edinger M.D. A truly great book to read slowly, digest every paragraph and learn from. Recommended.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Just finished Heat by Bill Buford. Solid book.
    Currently reading The Perfectionist by Rudolph Chelminski and Ma Gastronomie by Fernand Point.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm reading my first David Sedaris book: "When You are Engulfed in Flames". I've heard through y'all and my friends (don't worry, I just mean "non-cyber friends") that this is the weaker of the books by him - so I look forward to reading his others.

12. jaac

jaac Senior member

Some fun stuff by Ben Elton. Past Mortem and Dead Famous, enjoyable easy reading.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I'm reading my first David Sedaris book: "When You are Engulfed in Flames". I've heard through y'all and my friends (don't worry, I just mean "non-cyber friends") that this is the weaker of the books by him - so I look forward to reading his others.

I've been listening to Me Talk Pretty One Day on audiobook (torrent). It's somewhat amusing, but my expectations were too high to begin with.

14. MetroStyles

Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway. Some are better than others. The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber is really, really good though.

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Patriots edited by Chris Appy is a great reflection of the Vietnam Era from so many different perspectives...also flipping through a few other histories

Island at the Center of the World by Russell Shorto

and

Forever Free The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction by Eric Foner