• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Im looking for some more books like Dantes Inferno. Like dark gothic books from the same era or older. Any recomendations?

Milton, Homor, Blake, Browning come to mind.

Reaction score
I read The Idiot sort of recently (last year?). Really funny book----I love that one. The Possessed... there were peaks for sure, but I felt I had to push through it; the only Dostoyevsky novel I can say that about. Maybe it is time I reread it. I recently enjoyed The Gambler and The Double. Amazing how adept he is at creating that fever pitch as in The Bros K in so few pages. I am working on getting around to his minor works----there's a ton out there.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 60 pages into The Remains of the Day. From what I can tell, this book seems almost universally loved, but I am having a few problems.

First is the ridiculous language the narrator uses. Every paragraph is crammed with the kind of cliche and exterraneous phrasing you'd expect to find in the dialogue of a dime-store romance novel. I'm sure a turn-of-the-century butler talked like this to some degree, but my eyes feel assaulted after reading page after page of this nonsense. Question for those who have read other works by Ishiguro: is this really his writing style or is he just in character for the butler?

I am also having trouble buying the extent of the repression in some of the characters. The scene where the butler is talking to his father and relieving him of some duties... The father-character seen walking up and down a flight of steps he earlier tripped over, trying to figure out a reason he fell? That's just so over the top, it doesn't belong in this kind of novel..

Im at the verge of putting the book down. I know where it's going, the butler is going to meet up with this woman ex-housekeeper and after ruminating on a dozen or so other acts of near-unbelievable repression is going to see the error of his ways.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Crazy! I just started what I hope to become a Dostoevsky binge with Crime and Punishment, which I am about 1/3 of the way through. Up next I wanted to do The Idiot or The Possessed.
His work is really addicting. I started with The Brothers Karamazov, then Notes From Underground, then Crime and Punishment (All in June). Now I'm reading The Idiot. Next up will be The Adolescent or Demons (The Possessed is a mistranslation).

Chris2289

Reaction score
I just finished reading American Psycho. I think I am going to read it again, it is such an amazing book. It is definitely one of the most captivating and funny books I have read.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just finished Kobo Abe's Woman in the Dunes. I thought it was one of the weirdest, most unique books I've come across. I really enjoyed it - and even though his writing is not the smoothest and style is not the most pleasing, I found the concept and overall package enthralling. I heard borrows a lot from Kafka's The Castle, so if you've already read that, this may not be as rewarding.

Originally Posted by Pennglock
I am 60 pages into The Remains of the Day. From what I can tell, this book seems almost universally loved, but I am having a few problems.

First is the ridiculous language the narrator uses. Every paragraph is crammed with the kind of cliche and exterraneous phrasing you'd expect to find in the dialogue of a dime-store romance novel. I'm sure a turn-of-the-century butler talked like this to some degree, but my eyes feel assaulted after reading page after page of this nonsense. Question for those who have read other works by Ishiguro: is this really his writing style or is he just in character for the butler?

I am also having trouble buying the extent of the repression in some of the characters. The scene where the butler is talking to his father and relieving him of some duties... The father-character seen walking up and down a flight of steps he earlier tripped over, trying to figure out a reason he fell? That's just so over the top, it doesn't belong in this kind of novel..

Im at the verge of putting the book down. I know where it's going, the butler is going to meet up with this woman ex-housekeeper and after ruminating on a dozen or so other acts of near-unbelievable repression is going to see the error of his ways.

If I recall correctly, the main character uses this tone of voice to help convey his propriety, so yes, it is purposeful. That said, you are right in that the novel is not exactly chock full of twists and turns, but then again, it's not that kind of novel.

Originally Posted by Chris2289
I just finished reading American Psycho. I think I am going to read it again, it is such an amazing book. It is definitely one of the most captivating and funny books I have read.

Agreed, it is a book you can keep on picking up again and again and just reading random passages over. One of only books I do that with on a consistent basis. There are really no slow parts to it.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Light reading.
964935.jpg

0316066524.jpg

Embarrassed that, a month in, I'm only 300 p into Infinite Jest. On the other hand, I finished Winesburg (good but took a little time to sink in), What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (zzz), and some random essays, so I guess I'm OK.

bullethead

Reaction score
I just picked up Woman in the Dunes. Sounds like it will be good.
Box Man by Abe is one of my favorite books.

Just read Edisto by Padgett Powell. Arguably my favorite writer, though i prefer his short stories to novels. Great sense of humor, writes about the american south.

Deep River by Endo is on the current docket. Got off to a good start yesterday

Petyot

Reaction score
Berlin Noir: March Violets; The Pale Criminal; A German Requiem by Philip Kerr
and
Dressing the man by Alan Flusser

I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At Vanna/iammatt's urging, I think I will be reading Crime and Punishment next.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Embarrassed that, a month in, I'm only 300 p into Infinite Jest. On the other hand, I finished Winesburg (good but took a little time to sink in), What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (zzz), and some random essays, so I guess I'm OK.
Yeah I was really let down by Murakami's "What I Talk About...". I heard his latest, After Dark, was also weak. I am concerned that maybe he has burnt out...which is too bad considering his older work is some of my favorite.

paraiso

Reaction score
Women by Bukowski. I drank a 1/2 bottle of cutty sark and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then I read the rest of the book while nursing the hangover. It was a pretty good experience.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
Women by Bukowski. I drank a 1/2 bottle of cutty sark and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then I read the rest of the book while nursing the hangover. It was a pretty good experience.

Great book - I read it as a freshman in college and I think it had a lot to do with the way I turned out.
tounge.gif

confused.gif
?

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Great book - I read it as a freshman in college and I think it had a lot to do with the way I turned out.
tounge.gif

confused.gif
?

It's messed up. I'm all horny from reading that book. It's crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads