What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

"What the Soldiers Wouldn't Tell - Sex in the Civil War"

2. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

started pygmy- will finish over the course of breaks and lunches while relaxing in the patio furniture section at work.

3. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Really? He seems to address several of the basic arguments against theism? His arguments as to a net negative don't seem too unreasonable- All the killing in the name of gods down the ages etc. Would these people who did these acts have done the same if not in the name of a bunch of fairytales thrown together, and even before when several Gods were believed in by many? Again, can you rec one of the many books you've no doubt read on the subject, moral phil. or otherwise. I am genuinely interested in the subject.
    He's a douchebag. At least Hume was nice. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4583 Also, Dennett, with a fresher more sophisticated approach to religion than the tired "does god exist:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakin...ral_Phenomenon

4. binge

binge Senior member

just started The Kindly Ones

Gaiman?

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I'm just starting Kafka's Collected Stories. Also I don't feel like getting in to an argument but: Mike, in regards to Dawkins, provide some concrete examples or shut the fuck up. You may play at an intellectual on the internet but your qualifications seem a little anemic compared to one of the leading thinkers of our era.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

He's a douchebag. At least Hume was nice.
    In every word Hume wrote, he seemed like the kind of guy you would love to spend time with, or to drink a beer with. That allowed him to say some things that were very controversial in his day. His great personality and wonderful ability to write set him apart from almost every other great philosopher, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the obscuritanism of Kant was much more influential to later philosophers than the beautiful prose of Hume.

7. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Finally, I am reading:
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster
    by Jon Krakauer

Almost done...fascinating reading.

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

9. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I'm just starting Kafka's Collected Stories.

Also I don't feel like getting in to an argument but: Mike, in regards to Dawkins, provide some concrete examples or shut the fuck up. You may play at an intellectual on the internet but your qualifications seem a little anemic compared to one of the leading thinkers of our era.

I'm just now reading The Metamorphosis. First fiction book that I've read in a long while.

[​IMG] @ Dawkins being labeled as one of the leading thinkers of our time. Perhaps in biology, but definitely not philosophy.

Unfortunately, the obscuritanism of Kant was much more influential to later philosophers than the beautiful prose of Hume.

You can only fault Hume's problem of causality for that.

You don't like the Germans? They were so romantic! Kant had his share of poetic moments, and his successors moreso.

10. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

He's a douchebag. At least Hume was nice.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4583

Also, Dennett, with a fresher more sophisticated approach to religion than the tired "does god exist:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakin...ral_Phenomenon

That settles it then. Seems an easy thing to throw around in these parts.

And what's so special about being "nice" to the superstitious extremists. Why should we be expected to be "nice" to the religious?

11. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

And what's so special about being "nice" to the superstitious extremists. Why should we be expected to be "nice" to the religious?
    Hell, why should we be nice at all?

12. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Hell, why should we be nice at all?

Next you'll be telling me everyone and his dog deserves 'respec'.

13. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Next you'll be telling me everyone and his dog deserves 'respec'.

A dog might not deserve your respect, but does that mean you should kick it?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You can only fault Hume's problem of causality for that. You don't like the Germans? They were so romantic! Kant had his share of poetic moments, and his successors moreso.
    Not only do I not like their writing, but I think continental philosophy ruined the Western world. [​IMG]

15. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Not only do I not like their writing, but I think continental philosophy ruined the Western world. [​IMG]

I don't see how you can say that without also saying it ruined the Eastern world (China/Russia, Vietnam, Korea). So really, you think it ruined the world. Surely, you can respect the power of their ideas, then? It's no small feat to ruin civilization.