• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

derum

Reaction score
Not generally a lover of cover versions, there are some which are good, some very good, and then there is this:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's a cover that I've always considered far greater than the original, but really, it's just more teenage doomer music.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a cover that I've always considered far greater than the original, but really, it's just more teenage doomer music.

I need to say I poasted this already, because I only mention repoasts when its you.

But this song is a genius song. Doesn't matter what the source is. I'm a firm believer that 10% of the human population has one good track in them. Once they use that track up it's all over.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But only perhaps cos Ferry is so dangerous. Especially if you know the song, you owe it to yourself to watch one of the best muisic videos of all time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's nice to see I'm not the only fan of teenage doomer music here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
no love for NIN huh?

Just because I think Cash did such a stellar rendition of Hurt? I saw NIN when you were probably still using training wheels. About 1989 or '90 at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit. That is a classic venue, 1000 seats, in Bricktown where you used to be able to see bands on the way up as well as classic Detroit stuff like Iggy Pop. I saw him, Tool, Soundgarden, and MBV there as well as probably a few I'm forgetting. In the basement is another classic Detroit venue, The Shelter. That was more DJ and rap and is the venue that Eminem plays repeatedly in 8 Mile.

derum

Reaction score
@piobare reminisences, and one of his previous postings, brought me to another underplayed Kinks classic:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see I'm not the only fan of teenage doomer music here.

I can go very deep with you in this. I went throgh my teenage doomer phase when I was 2-12 years old, and you went yours around 35-45, around the same exact time: Kismet.

@piobare reminisences, and one of his previous postings, brought me to another underplayed Kinks classic:

In the US, this song gets a ton of airplay on classic rock stations. Davies is considered a god on these stations, and they'll interview him on shows that hardly ever do interviews.

Once a DJ asked Davies why the Kinks have this huge output of consistently great music over the span of decades, whereas every other band in human history basically started to suck at some point or fell apart. Davies response? "We look to the songwriting..." The interviewer rhapsodized about this for 5 minutes while Davies ate it all up:

1606764186579.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
SC were boring by the time Johns had his eating disorder. Best album was their first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads