• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you going to buy during this new year?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more mtm shirts, especially a few in linen for the summer
my first, and possibly last, blue suit
plain wingtips in brown
2 belts
a burgundy tie and a navy tie

i've been saying for years that i want a brown corduroy suit. perhaps this will be the year i get one.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- convas suits at my size
- cashmere scarves
- nice straps for my SEiko diver 100
DONE

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. The perfect slim-fit cashmere charcoal turtleneck
Any leads on the perfect slim-fit cashmere charcoal sweater?  I could use one of those, too, but the only ones I've seen have a tent-like fit.

I could use a pair of custom Vass shoes, but, alas, that is not to be.

dan

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 suit for the spring, most probably MTM Ermenegildo Zegna; for the coat, probably I will go with the "Feather" model; for the pants, flat front, with room around the ankle for a gun, of course. Now, when are those spring swatches going to arrive?

2 pairs of shoes from L-Uomo in Montreal.

3 gutters, all around, up and down.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, and probably a few outerwear pieces. A belt if I can find one I really like. Some more sweatshirts. Any piece that really jumps out at me and that I can actually afford at the time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
RJ -- I personally like the look of these coats, but I think there are plenty of people who would consider a "teddy bear" coat declasse, regardless of whether it is made of alpaca or llama.  It would look fine in New York, and would be great for keeping out the cold, but I cannot imagine getting away with wearing one in London.

It's a bit like the astrakhan coat -- there is something not quite respectable and slightly spivvy about them.  There are some great photographs from the 1910s and 20s of Winston Churchill wearing an astrakhan, but even those do not redeem the coat.

Trilby
Thanks.

As brown shoes, suede shoes, whangee umbrella handles, sock garters, brown suits, tweed suits, white shirts, Windsor knots, camel(-colored) coats, covert coats and various other things of which I can't think off the top of my head have all been derided as declasse in Town, I think I'll be OK with my llama coat although it'll take balls to wear it to work given how flamboyant it is. I don't plan to make any trips to London in the near future except to exact painful revenge on Darren should my suit and sportcoat not be awaiting me at the RJ bolthole when I return from Mumbai tomorrow.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As brown shoes, suede shoes, whangee umbrella handles, sock garters, brown suits, tweed suits, white shirts, Windsor knots, camel(-colored) coats, covert coats and various other things of which I can't think off the top of my head have all been derided as declasse in Town, I think I'll be OK with my llama coat although it'll take balls to wear it to work given how flamboyant it is.  I don't plan to make any trips to London in the near future
The distinction between country and business clothes is most apparent in the larger cities (and certainly not in midwest America small towns, where suits are most often seen in court (if you are paid for your appearance) and some few remaining banks and large professional firms who require the appearance of steadiness to inspire confidence (often, never mind the content). If you don't live in London, you may well be able to function professionally even if you do wear brown suede shoes to the office (have never hear a negative comment about mine). Anyway, how many of us really have a country home in which we change into our corduroy and tattersall after leaving the city or, if we do have one, engage in the social activities that require a separate country wardrobe?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- a turtle neck sweater in cashmere

Got it at 150 euros instead of 514 euros
Dark grey, 2 ply.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- a turtle neck sweater in cashmere

Got it at 150 euros instead of 514 euros
Dark grey, 2 ply.
But it is too large. I guess I will bring it back.

linux_pro

Reaction score
This year I am replacing my wardrobe with:

1) Navy DB blazer
2) Brown blazer
3) 3 or 4 pairs of trousers (Kiton, Icontex or the Carlo Franco line)
4) Charcoal SB 3-button (Brioni, Zegna, or Canali)
5) Gray / Lt. Blue SB 3-button (same as above)
6) Brown / Beige / Green SB 3-button (same)
7) Charcoal DB (preferrably Zegna, I like their fit, but might try Brioni)
8) Grey or Lt. Blue DB (same as above)
9) Black Martegani wingtips from Franco's (ordered)
10) Brown monk-straps (still deciding)
11) Brown wingtips (checking out the Alden cordovans)
12) Looking for nice light brown bowler
13) replacing all dress shirts - have picked one up from Carlo Franco to try out.
14) Have picked up about 20 ties in the last few weeks, will continue to binge until wallet screams for mercy. I now have over 250 ties in my collection.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see...

- A pair of C&J Radstocks
- At least 5 tropical wool trousers, bespoke
- At least 3 cotton trousers, bespoke (basically your rich man's khakis/chinos/whatever)
- At least 5 "aloha" shirts (gg Hawaiian business dress code)
- 2 tropical wool bespoke suits (as in, 9 oz or lighter)
- 6 white dress shirts, button cuffs (Jantzen)
- 3 blue dress shirts, button cuffs (Jantzen)
- A better wallet
- A better belt
- Maybe a pair of glasses since contact lenses can be inconvenient to pop in for such emergencies that require me to drive (food, beer, fire, etc.)

The bespoke stuff will run cheap. <3 tailors here.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see...

- A pair of C&J Radstocks
- At least 5 tropical wool trousers, bespoke
- At least 3 cotton trousers, bespoke (basically your rich man's khakis/chinos/whatever)
- At least 5 "aloha" shirts (gg Hawaiian business dress code)
- 2 tropical wool bespoke suits (as in, 9 oz or lighter)
- 6 white dress shirts, button cuffs (Jantzen)
- 3 blue dress shirts, button cuffs (Jantzen)
- A better wallet
- A better belt
- Maybe a pair of glasses since contact lenses can be inconvenient to pop in for such emergencies that require me to drive (food, beer, fire, etc.)

The bespoke stuff will run cheap.
If you want a Dunhill wallet = I have 66% off

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a very thin wallet? I've had it with thick ones.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a very thin wallet? I've had it with thick ones.
What is thin for you? Leather? Or size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads