• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you going to buy during this new year?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new year in Paris.

When I looked at all these people exited about the new year eve, I thought that something new would happen.

But nothing. 00h00 everything is the same as one minute before.

Strange people.

Anyway, I would like to find at  good prices :

- a navy cashmere coat
- a trench coat
- convas suits at my size
- cashmere scarves
- English shoes (may be from Bennie's)
- nice straps for my SEiko diver 100
- a turtle neck sweater in cashmere
- the bulldog cufflinks

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to find someone nice to buy things for. Sigh. A RJwoman?

Otherwise,
alpaca or llama teddy bear-type coat.
bespoke trews
velvet blazer, maybe
More Ballantyne cashmere if I can find it at a decent price
maybe a belt

Trilby

Reaction score
RJMan -- Paul Stuart has some superb alpaca "teddy bear" coats. Not cheap, but it should last a lifetime.

I bought the top item from my 2005 wish list last week (i.e., before the New Year -- does this mean I need to make a new 2005 wish list?). It's a Brooks Bros. camel hair polo coat. I was interested to see that it was made in Italy. I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone know who makes these for Brooks and when the polo coats were last made in the US?

Trilby

marc37

Reaction score
My list is simple for this year.

1. Edward Green Dover RTW. l will probably have to pay full retail ($1,250 Aust) for it but l accept that.

2. A couple pairs of luxury trousers. l will scan ebay for some good deals.

3. Some more Grensons from Bennies.

4. Maybe another pair of MTM shoes done in Ostrich.

5. A Borrelli shirt.

6. Maybe a pair of RTW Martegani shoes as well from Ron Rider.

7. Definately a pair of top range Santoni's at 50% off.

8. ldealy, [if l had money to burn] l would buy a pair of Berluti and Lattanzi however this is not going to happen this year.

9. Maybe a pair of Vass shoes. They are certainly on my list. May not get to them this year though. The real problem is sneaking all these shoes past my missus.

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm trolling e-bay looking for a couple of pairs of good shoes to upgrade my footwear.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I covet much, and covet much beyond my means. Trying to keep things reasonable, I expect to order: (1) Another suit from Chan, single breasted, peak-lapel in gray (2) Two more pairs of dress shoes, one in a tobacco or chocolate brown suede (3) I may finally overcome my reluctance and order a dozen or so shirts from Jantzen, although I'm not much confident of actually receiving the shirts this year.
wink.gif
(4) Depending on what my first tie from Chuck is like, I may order another of his seven-folds, although I must admit I've been peering longingly at the offerings on Anthony Kirby's web site. (5) Whatever vintage treasures the local thrifts cough up.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
RJMan -- Paul Stuart has some superb alpaca "teddy bear" coats.  Not cheap, but it should last a lifetime.
I picked up a llama teddy bear coat.  It's cool... but I have found out that apparently llama hair is much coarser than alpaca.  (Mine feels soft enough) Is it somehow declasse to have a llama coat?  Stupid question, I know, but I'm curious what the forum thinks.

RJ

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
> But nothing. 00h00 everything is the same as one minute before.

Unfortunately most days everything is the same as one minute before.

At any rate, nothing. I want to buy nothing.

I will buy, however, more french cuffed shirts, shoes, a new navy suit and more cuff links.

PHV

Reaction score
My list is simple for this year.

1. Edward Green Dover RTW. l will probably have to pay full retail ($1,250 Aust) for it but l accept that.

2. A couple pairs of luxury trousers. l will scan ebay for some good deals.

3. Some more Grensons from Bennies.

4. Maybe another pair of MTM shoes done in Ostrich.

5. A Borrelli shirt.

6. Maybe a pair of RTW Martegani shoes as well from Ron Rider.

7. Definately a pair of top range Santoni's at 50% off.

8. ldealy, [if l had money to burn] l would buy a pair of Berluti and Lattanzi however this is not going to happen this year.

9. Maybe a pair of Vass shoes. They are certainly on my list. May not get to them this year though. The real problem is sneaking all these shoes past my missus.
Good lord, get over all the shoes. I could never imagine with such an impressive collection that I would ever want more. Do you actually get around to wearing most of them?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. 4 or 5 linen shirts by Barba di Napoli (mtm)
2. A few Incotex pants/slacks?
3. A MTM Sartoria Partenopea suit
4. 4 Barba/Borrelli dress shirts (MTM)
5. Santoni's
6. A Partenopea suit during sales.
and some casual wear.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
1. John Kent suit off ebay, on the way 2. The perfect slim-fit cashmere charcoal turtleneck 3. Vass shoes from A Harris' sample sale, if he ever gets back to me
confused.gif
4. Another pair custom made on the U last direct from Budapest 5. 4 sets of the Army's new Advanced Camoflauge Uniform--looks like I'm headed back sooner than I thought Tom

Trilby

Reaction score
I picked up a llama teddy bear coat. It's cool... but I have found out that apparently llama hair is much coarser than alpaca. (Mine feels soft enough) Is it somehow declasse to have a llama coat? Stupid question, I know, but I'm curious what the forum thinks.

RJ -- I personally like the look of these coats, but I think there are plenty of people who would consider a "teddy bear" coat declasse, regardless of whether it is made of alpaca or llama. It would look fine in New York, and would be great for keeping out the cold, but I cannot imagine getting away with wearing one in London.

It's a bit like the astrakhan coat -- there is something not quite respectable and slightly spivvy about them. There are some great photographs from the 1910s and 20s of Winston Churchill wearing an astrakhan, but even those do not redeem the coat.

Trilby

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it somehow declasse to have a llama coat?  
Flusser,in "Style and the Man" (p. 90) lists the Paul Stuart alpaca bear coat as a preferred sportswear item. What's the difference between an alpaca vs llama version (how do they differ?-I thought alpaca was made from llama wool).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads