• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have been really enjoying tequila more than almost anything else this summer, and last night, I had a glass of the Patron Estate Release. Probably one of the best tequilas I have ever tasted, and I normally don't tend to drink much of their main releases.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Quebecois have a lovely aperitif called Amermelade. It is something in between Aperol and Campari, but with a menthol note. Makes a lovely cocktail on the Negroni model, but with Dolin Blanc vermouth.

braised

Reaction score
I came back from Texas with an affection for Ranch Water, which is basically tequila and soda with lime, but light on the tequila. You can pretty much just motor them.

We’ve decided that there are many variations on this theme
City-water= vodka
Farm water = bourbon
Island water = rum

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Damn good looking drink, Hunts. I need to get a set of Nick&Nora glasses.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I'm still kicking around the idea of moonshining but I just can't get myself to lay out the $700 needed to get started. Here's the still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/turbo-500-still-distiller/ and then you need a wash kit with is basically a fermentation bucket and then another plastic bucket like container where you filter it through a second charcoal filter. Toss in the yeast, fining agents, etc. and you're talking a pretty penny for what is basically a grand experiment in my mind. Once set up though it seems like you can create a neutral spirit at a very low cost per litre at 40%. The still actually yields a distillate that's about 90% but you use your hydrometer and dilute it out with water to 40% or whatever you desire.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mojitos. Hot mess but great sipping at the pool.

482A2FCD-FF51-4CF3-B47F-A8B429D2843F.jpeg

Last edited:

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piob,

you ever check out the Pico and Pico Still? Might be a neat contraption without breaking the bank for an experiment. I had one in house until wife noticed what it was and said contraption went back to sender.

So I'm still kicking around the idea of moonshining but I just can't get myself to lay out the $700 needed to get started. Here's the still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/turbo-500-still-distiller/ and then you need a wash kit with is basically a fermentation bucket and then another plastic bucket like container where you filter it through a second charcoal filter. Toss in the yeast, fining agents, etc. and you're talking a pretty penny for what is basically a grand experiment in my mind. Once set up though it seems like you can create a neutral spirit at a very low cost per litre at 40%. The still actually yields a distillate that's about 90% but you use your hydrometer and dilute it out with water to 40% or whatever you desire.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in vaguely savoury cocktails for a while, and just picked up this Fennel liqueur which is marvelous, though I don't like this brand's amaros. Just put this together, so no name, but Linie Aquavit, Old Raj, Carpano Bianco for its herbal notes, and this fennel spirit, tied together with Crude "Rizzo" bitters (Grapefruit, pink peppercorn and rosemary -- excellent stuff). Pretty solid.

Damn good looking drink, Hunts. I need to get a set of Nick&Nora glasses.

Thanks. They are pretty old and beautiful, with platinum rims.I like Nick & Nora glasses for some cocktails, just for fun.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out to dinner in a Japanese/Korean fusion restaurant and discovered this. Very tasty and enjoyable.
57502B3E-AB6F-40AF-998E-037E774A9BD5.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Piob,

you ever check out the Pico and Pico Still? Might be a neat contraption without breaking the bank for an experiment. I had one in house until wife noticed what it was and said contraption went back to sender.

Just took a look; interesting stuff.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A cuppa roasted Ti Quan Yin. Thinking about some rot gut plum flavored sake for tonight.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in vaguely savoury cocktails for a while, and just picked up this Fennel liqueur which is marvelous, though I don't like this brand's amaros. Just put this together, so no name, but Linie Aquavit, Old Raj, Carpano Bianco for its herbal notes, and this fennel spirit, tied together with Crude "Rizzo" bitters (Grapefruit, pink peppercorn and rosemary -- excellent stuff). Pretty solid.
Your posts piques my interest, because this brand is based in DC. I ought to visit their tasting room to decide for myself, but just out of curiosity, what do you not like about their amaros?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Prepping for a Labour Day weekend BBQ thing we're doing. Infused simple with a bunch of mint then batched fresh squeezed lime juice, rum, and simple. Ice in glass, pour to top of ice, top with soda and add a couple of mint leaves crushed by hand, stir. Working perfectly and do a five gallon batch for next Sunday.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prepping for a Labour Day weekend BBQ thing we're doing. Infused simple with a bunch of mint then batched fresh squeezed lime juice, rum, and simple. Ice in glass, pour to top of ice, top with soda and add a couple of mint leaves crushed by hand, stir. Working perfectly and do a five gallon batch for next Sunday.

My current favorite restaurant for business in manhattan batches cocktails. While it does remove the romanticism of a bartender mixing you a martini, it ensures every drink is precisely the same and cold beyond belief. I am a fan but it occasionally causes a stir at the bar.

Of course if you ask, they will mix you a drink to your preferred taste as well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads