• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have the space I would do it. I keep a Yari in there too. I don’t use my freezer for anything except ice cream and ice.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah Pio I think I’m gonna stop right there. I know I’m still relatively new to this thread, but the amount of arguing & gatekeeping I’ve experienced so far has got me turned off. I belong to a pretty renowned bourbon forum, so i think my time is better invested with those that don’t judge you by what kind of whiskey you like or god forbid, what kind of beer glasses you happen to have.

Good day.

5D8FC808-2476-4DEF-8A9F-238C5E97C86E.gif

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That also reintroduces the question whether to store gin, vodka etc in the freezer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I went a little crazy on the mixing glasses and think I have six or seven at this point. I had a couple and then Crate and Barrel (yeah, I know) had a sale on a quite large, very heavy bottomed, mixing glass with a quality Hawthorne and bar spoon kit. Was like $19.99 and I bought a bunch for Xmas gifts...several stuck in my barback though. :)

We have two chest freezers in the garage. Fully of stuff like homemade sausage, smoked meats, etc. but I always make sure there's room for those round ice cubes and to chill bar ****.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That also reintroduces the question whether to store gin, vodka etc in the freezer.

No, unless you plan to drink it straight in shots. The reason is proper dilution won't occur if it's frozen. Room temp stuff will make the ice melt as you mix.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cocktail glasses for your martini: chill in freezer or no?

I've taken to loading a mixing glass full of ice and keeping that and two cocktail glasses in the freezer.

Absolutely freeze all glasses (rocks, martini, collins).

No, unless you plan to drink it straight in shots. The reason is proper dilution won't occur if it's frozen. Room temp stuff will make the ice melt as you mix.

A very well-known DC bartender keeps his Plymouth gin in the freezer to minimize dilution of his martinis. He also believes that a 1:1 ratio of gin:vermouth is how "God intended" for a martini to taste, so YMMV. (I like this ratio, and my martinis with Old Tom gin and two dashes of orange bitters.)

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but that's the same argument about the mixing glass.

IIRC a lot of high end bars in Japan store their clear mixing spirits in the freezer to be able to deliver consistent results - of course they need to adjust the recipes, i.e. add some almost-frozen water to make up for the dilution.

I think it's mostly a gimmick, but at least in theory it makes sense if you really want to replicate recipes perfectly every time.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leave it to the Japanese to be extreme and not necessaryily functional. Unless I’m are prebatcbing and pre diluting your cocktails with clear spirits, that you make cocktails with, don’t ******* freeze them. These bars are all climate controlled. Your **** isnt going to vary in temperature, give me a ******* break. I also don’t really use yaris anymore. I’m tin on tin all the time for all cocktails. They are making metal yaris now.

I do think keeping batched and diluted Plymouth martinis is such a dope ******* idea.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to detroit recently. They have an interesting bar scene there. They’ve really been taken by the New York small cocktail bar scene. That said they are making some fantastic cocktails. Sugar House was the best I went to for cocktails. Weaker for ambiance, but drinks slated.

Loved the logo. I wanna steal this for my apartment and brand everything Club Chase. I have people over after hours a lot.

The blue cheese cocktail was dope. I read it an immediately knew it was a cheese board play. They nailed it. God damn it was perfectly balanced and flowed back and forth between all ingredients.

756A23CA-90BE-4380-A7DA-CD7D5509216A.jpeg

C108C57D-597F-4AE8-8C2B-52E7BAD2C5D2.jpeg

A3D26EDC-F44E-4206-870C-23A32B882955.jpeg

D5C589B1-5C81-4ABE-847D-F97DED7E13B4.jpeg

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave it to the Japanese to be extreme and not necessaryily functional. Unless I’m are prebatcbing and pre diluting your cocktails with clear spirits, that you make cocktails with, don’t ******* freeze them. These bars are all climate controlled. Your **** isnt going to vary in temperature, give me a ******* break. I also don’t really use yaris anymore. I’m tin on tin all the time for all cocktails. They are making metal yaris now.

I do think keeping batched and diluted Plymouth martinis is such a dope ******* idea.
Agree 100% btw. But what I was going for is that keeping your mixing glass in the freezer messes with dilution already (to a lesser extent than keeping your spirits in the freezer of course). Whereas keeping your tumblers etc in the freezer just helps with keeping the already prepped drink cold.

Unfortunately, my Laph 15 is already empty. Haven't bought a vodka in ages, but drinking some cheapish but decent vodka with Club Mate right now, while listening to Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile's Tiny Desk Concert. :>

BTW: Have you guys tried Morgenthaler's blended Negroni? Tastes ******* delicious, but i really can't stomach such cold drinks. My throat hurts like hell after like half a glass.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Went to Seattle in October and I'll tell you the scene there is spectacular. Canon Bar (Jamie Boudreau) was, as billed, the world's best spirits selection. It was also a lot of fun and the sweet breads were so killer the four of us had three orders. The Fog Room, on top of the new Charter, was also killer. The wine selection included Cristal BTG with some good Paso picks too and the small plates were awesome. House made blood sausage that I could every, single day. Then there's the bar program at Canlis and it's really something to sit at the bar and watch drinks be made. Dinner was completely on point too.

I'm more than a little jelly of @RedLantern

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Enjoying this guy's channel the last couple of weeks:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads