• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Resistant

Reaction score
ECBP Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still 12yr just has side label age statement now. The most underrated bottle in bourbon

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was privileged to try this one at my local cigar lounge last night. The owner was generously sharing with everyone. It’s a pretty rare allocation here in NJ. It tasted exactly like the name leads you to

D2B3E43D-AFCF-4298-A4D1-EBD675AE7AF1.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ECBP Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still 12yr just has side label age statement now. The most underrated bottle in bourbon

That’s true, the BP is still a 12 year. I have a great source of those locally, just haven’t made my move yet. A fair price point I think, hopefully they don’t raise their prices like Booker’s did.

E9C3E879-9F48-4ACD-A0AC-45573508FEA6.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Maple Hills is exactly what I was talking about earlier. They do not distill, never have, and the new stuff is out of Oregon. Here's a link that talks not only about that but also several mention of the fact bourbon is in a fad stage, as I said earlier.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/curious-case-black-maple-hill-whiskey/

Black-Maple-Hill-Stein-Bourbon-e1476980557883.jpg

Well I wouldn’t say it was so good that I would drop $150 for it, but I did enjoy it and wasn’t going to turn it down.

Some whiskey brands don’t have the resources to distill or the financial backing yet. Look how long it took Bulleit to get off the ground, and build a distillery. That is why places like MGP exist, which actually only accounts for a fraction of the Bourbon market. There is a boutique micro-bourbon movement going on, which i guess one could label it as a “fad”, but I don’t consider it to be all inclusive of the entire current industry, but only a fraction of it. Kentucky is a booming state right now, so a gold rush was bound to happen.

There’s even some Scotch Whisky i would consider to be “fad-like”. Like Johnny Walker Game of Thrones or Compass Box Peat Monster. Both I actually kind of enjoyed too, even the Peat Monster.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well I wouldn’t say it was so good that I would drop $150 for it, but I did enjoy it and wasn’t going to turn it down.

Some whiskey brands don’t have the resources to distill or the financial backing yet. Look how long it took Bulleit to get off the ground, and build a distillery. That is why places like MGP exist, which actually only accounts for a fraction of the Bourbon market. There is a boutique micro-bourbon movement going on, which i guess one could label it as a “fad”, but I don’t consider it to be all inclusive of the entire current industry, but only a fraction of it. Kentucky is a booming state right now, so a gold rush was bound to happen.

There’s even some Scotch Whisky i would consider to be “fad-like”. Like Johnny Walker Game of Thrones or Compass Box Peat Monster. Both I actually kind of enjoyed too, even the Peat Monster.

Yes, I realize the issues start ups face with capitalization, particularly in capital intensive industries with an almost zero velocity of cash for years under standard paradigm. Bulleit was a very poor choice as an example though as it did not fit this paradigm in the least and has been owned by highly capitalized multi-nationals since the 1990s, and prior to that, Bulleit himself distilled it in its modern form.

Can you give me some sources showing MGP is such a small player in the bourbon market for production of distillate?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
To support your claim you need some estimate of the total bourbon produced and what % of that MGP distills.

You might stop and think that the guy that knows the Bulleit back story might know the answer to the question he's asking.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, heck, I'll just give you the range. It's actually hard to come up with but everything I've found says between 5-10% of the current bourbon market. That's actually a pretty significant share, IMO, and that doesn't even count their share of the rye market as well as neutral spirits. As near as I can tell they sell more neutral spirits, i.e. distillate for vodka and gin. Smart move as that doesn't take any barrel aging.

MGP is very quiet about their business and solid data is very tough to find.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To support your claim you need some estimate of the total bourbon produced and what % of that MGP distills.

You might stop and think that the guy that knows the Bulleit back story might know the answer to the question he's asking.

Yeah Pio I think I’m gonna stop right there. I know I’m still relatively new to this thread, but the amount of arguing & gatekeeping I’ve experienced so far has got me turned off. I belong to a pretty renowned bourbon forum, so i think my time is better invested with those that don’t judge you by what kind of whiskey you like or god forbid, what kind of beer glasses you happen to have.

Good day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's "Piob." Peeb air would be the proper pronunciation and it means, "The art of the bagpipe."

I did not comment on your glassware. I also didn't judge you based on what whisky you like. You first took issue with me because a) I said bourbon was in a fad stage and b) alluded to the NDP (non-distilling producers.) The thing is it's clearly a fad at the moment. That doesn't mean everyone new(ish) to bourbon will see their interests fade when the fad is over but it doesn't change the fact you can't read a whisky website/blog/etc. without reference to the bourbon fad.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I belong to a pretty renowned bourbon forum, so i think my time is better invested with those that don’t judge you by what kind of whiskey you like or god forbid, what kind of beer glasses you happen to have.
Do they not teach you on said forum that smoking cigars ruins the palate to properly experience a good drink? I'd rather add coke to my bourbon than smoke a cigar and sip.
I’ve learned a thing or two over the years in this bourbon hobby. Scotch drinkers are by far the most critical of bourbon. Are you proving me right here?
I guess you are proving right here. Except I'm not a scotch drinker. I prefer single malts. Never stop "learning".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I actually, for realz this time, gave up pipe smoking. I've always enjoyed a pipe on occasion in the cool weather while sitting outside but it just kills my palate for a couple of days.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cocktail glasses for your martini: chill in freezer or no?

I've taken to loading a mixing glass full of ice and keeping that and two cocktail glasses in the freezer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads