• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Little taste test here... The hi-balls were Larceny, with lemon and Schweppes. Went straight, then couple drops of distilled. Realize the Russell’s wasn’t as high proof, but still. Finished 1. RB, 2. SJr, 3. RR. Reopened my eyes to RB. It’d been a while...
View attachment 1618507
Try the RR store picks - far better than the 10yr

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Will do. The RB is simply fantastic though. Not sure how I’ve let it slide for so long. Another thing I rediscover from time to time, is how Blanton’s is quite nice... until you put it up against other bourbons head to head. It somehow seems to always fall short. Not sure how that happens. I mean, every time I have it on its own it’s very enjoyable, but as soon as I pour almost any other stalwart, (which cost significantly less btw), next to it, it seems to pale. ?‍♂️ Buzzed ramblings here. Goodnight.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anniversary dinner at Ironside. Everything was good. Wrapped it up with J.M. VSOP.
Decent spirits list. Rum side here...
3311C62C-3591-45DB-A6E1-7CA84838C429.jpeg
3CE68468-FAD8-4D41-A220-228FB84DF645.jpeg

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d been eying the J.M. for a while and remembered you commenting here it was good. Really enjoyed it neat. Will acquire a bottle soon.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4218E673-2587-4C60-9163-7512E6AF509C.jpeg

Aviation. Trying out the roku gin as I’ve heard it’s real nice. Did a mix of lemon and lime juice instead of just lemon due to the botanicals in the roku. Very very nice actually.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a vodka gimlet kick. Cooking up some scampi.
89096298-0035-4CCF-8553-C3F0E437A6E1.jpeg

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95B20D0C-DB41-481A-9B02-BEBE9BB4666E.jpeg

A484E8BE-47A0-4FF6-B008-14791D2A40D7.jpeg

Death Valley at Sunsets (totally worth the effort) and Missionary’s Downfalls for other people tonight.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1619486
Aviation. Trying out the roku gin as I’ve heard it’s real nice. Did a mix of lemon and lime juice instead of just lemon due to the botanicals in the roku. Very very nice actually.

I've had the same bottle of Rothman and Winter creme de violette forever. It certainly adds a dramatic touch to Aviations but it barely tastes like anything.

Does the Bitter Truth version actually bring a distinct flavor to the drink?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the same bottle of Rothman and Winter creme de violette forever. It certainly adds a dramatic touch to Aviations but it barely tastes like anything.

Does the Bitter Truth version actually bring a distinct flavor to the drink?

Haven't tried the Rothman and Winter, but both Giffard and Bitter Truth definitely have a nice flavor to them. Both are different, I think the Giffard is sweeter and more violette-y if that's a thing, while the Bitter Truth tastes more herbal/vegetal, like there are other things going on. I think the Bitter Truth is higher proof too and it's got more of a blue color to it.

What recipe do you use? I do 2 oz gin, 0.5 oz maraschino liqueur, 0.5 oz creme de violette and 0.75 oz lemon or lime juice (I kind of prefer the lime). I've seen it at 0.25 for creme de violette which I don't think is enough, which could also be some of your issue. Also I hope you're not using a juniper-y gin but a herbal-y gin. I think the juniper would not go very well.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B4.jpg

I seem to recollect the Bateman character in AP having a long couple pages discussing the relative benefits and tastes of different mineral waters, so I write a couple sentences too.

Even he didn't get to drink this one.

Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B5.jpg

My tastes buds (?) especially liked the Murakami bit in the taste of this fine water.

Murakami rings a bell too but vaguely at the moment.

Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B3.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B4.jpg

I seem to recollect the Bateman character in AP having a long couple pages discussing the relative benefits and tastes of different mineral waters, so I write a couple sentences too.

Even he didn't get to drink this one.

Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B5.jpg

My tastes buds (?) especially liked the Murakami bit in the taste of this fine water.

Murakami rings a bell too but vaguely at the moment.

Perrier%2Bmurakami%2Bjune%2B2021%2B3.jpg
Adik....

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't tried the Rothman and Winter, but both Giffard and Bitter Truth definitely have a nice flavor to them. Both are different, I think the Giffard is sweeter and more violette-y if that's a thing, while the Bitter Truth tastes more herbal/vegetal, like there are other things going on. I think the Bitter Truth is higher proof too and it's got more of a blue color to it.

What recipe do you use? I do 2 oz gin, 0.5 oz maraschino liqueur, 0.5 oz creme de violette and 0.75 oz lemon or lime juice (I kind of prefer the lime). I've seen it at 0.25 for creme de violette which I don't think is enough, which could also be some of your issue. Also I hope you're not using a juniper-y gin but a herbal-y gin. I think the juniper would not go very well.
I have the giffard. Tbh i wonder how much any creme de violette adds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads