• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When the world changes back, you need to come up for a $10 Tuesday.
I miss the wine bar...
Every late December/early January they always do a customer appreciation tasting ( except this year ). $25, and a slew of high end wines to taste.
Last year I took my kid who's old enough now.
I kept her tasting notes because they were awesome.
One was "had a gasoline tang".
Didn't know they did tastings other than at the wine bar, nice.

Have you done the wine tastings at K&L (they used to do it every saturday, with 2 or 3 bigger ones each year)? Lawyeredad, Erictheobscure, and I had thought about going to either that or just a bar, but never panned out

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't...
Gelson's was doing regular wine/food tastings in Newport that I was into for awhile.
Hi Times is pretty close to me, so it's been my main go-to. The customer appreciation tasting is at the wine bar.
They do some wine dinners though, at local restaurants. Those are more of an investment.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol.

For real though the Corn n' Oil is very good.

Mai Tai

The thing is honestly once you have orgeat falernum and all spice dram you'll be good to go. But the syrups take a bit of time...

This is a good guide. You can start slowly or just get all three on Amazon (all spice dram might not be I forget). You can also make your own all spice dram which I have not done but heard it is very easy.

lol all the poorly labeled Tiki syrups I used to have in the fridge drove my wife crazy. I always knew what they were, and she never used them, but as a chemist, she was on principle opposed to unlabeled reagents.

Also cinnamon syrup is just the best.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol.

For real though the Corn n' Oil is very good.

Mai Tai

The thing is honestly once you have orgeat falernum and all spice dram you'll be good to go. But the syrups take a bit of time...

This is a good guide. You can start slowly or just get all three on Amazon (all spice dram might not be I forget). You can also make your own all spice dram which I have not done but heard it is very easy.

Nice - just didn't want to buy like 5 mixers and they all go bad in 3 months and I've only used half of 1.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few books, including Jerry Thomas' which is great.
This is the one I find myself using the most.
It's spiral bound, so when you have it open to a recipe, it lays flat.
1612201145065.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice - just didn't want to buy like 5 mixers and they all go bad in 3 months and I've only used half of 1.
They won't. People worry about the syrups going off but like you can keep them in the fridge FOR EVER.

Orgeat can go bad but it'll be a while. The Small Hands Food small bottle will be good or the Latitutde 29 bottle.

Falernum is a syrup and All Spice Dram is an actual liqueur.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only things you really need to buy are falernum, allspice dram, and orgeat. The first two stay good forever in most formulations, and orgeat can stay good a suspiciously long amount of time depending on what brand you get. John Taylor's Velvet Falernum is probably the standard and is shelf stable indefinitely (has alcohol in it). St Elizabeth's All-spice Dram is good too.

All the syrups you can and should make at home. They stay good for months in the fridge.

I see simple syrup at the store and just shake my head. It's like eight bucks for 20 cents worth of sugar, and maybe a minute of your time. Infusions are barely any more work.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maggie’s farm Falernum (what I bought at my local store) is high enough ABV to be shelf stable and won’t go bad any time soon, like any other liqueur. I also have St. Elizabeth’s for my allspice.

I made all of my syrups as rich versions (2:1 ratio) and added a shot of vodka to them before decanting so they should be safe in the fridge pretty much indefinitely. Made them at least 4 months ago and they’re all clear, no growth, no funky smell to indicate anything off. I’ve got cinnamon syrup, rich simple, rich Demerara, and honey syrup. Bought Auntie Lilikoi’s for passion fruit syrup

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Wong Cantonese Restaurant Yuzu Spritz Yuzushu sake, Beefeater gin, fresh rock melon, topped with Prosecco
1F178408-1BCF-41E5-A54D-241BEE2F79C5.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewdog x Lamb Of God Ghost Walker NA IPA

No alcohol, but a very good beer.

5CAD7D3C-7E7E-43FD-A99D-7EEE5FBA9DEF.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads