• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two oz of the Bulliet I infused with vanilla pods and orange rind, splash of Luxardo, Antica until I liked the colour, a dash of these bitters from Arizona, Mos Moles. Heaven.
I haven’t done many infusions partly because I buy mostly spirits I don’t want to mess with - but this is a reminder to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace or similar for something like this. Bravo.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I really like the standard Bulleit as it's a completely acceptable bourbon, the cost is modest, and it seems to take to infusing quite well. The last Bulleit I bought was at Costco on a flash sale of $27 a handle (1.75 l) for $27 USD each. Very hard value to beat.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I forget how good this is.

43E6DB39-786B-4102-8AA2-5813DB68C061.jpeg

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the standard Bulleit as it's a completely acceptable bourbon, the cost is modest, and it seems to take to infusing quite well. The last Bulleit I bought was at Costco on a flash sale of $27 a handle (1.75 l) for $27 USD each. Very hard value to beat.

I haven’t seen that product for less than $50 in recent memory here. the vast majority of our Costco liquor stores here are independent stores attached. We had a lot of regulation around number of licenses that a single entity could hold.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Even at $50 I'd still say a handle of Bulleit represents a decent value proposition. At half that price? I'm living large.

We buy a lot of our standard spirits from Costco. Tito's handles for $23 and that's just fine for our Vesper's riff martinis on the patio for weekend sundowners. Ketel One handles as we've a friend that likes Ketel, I keep a handle of Hendrick's and Tanqueray in inventory, etc. Hard not to use Costco to keep the standard and most used items for us stocked up.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rye and bourbon are cousins that can taste pretty similar depending on how much rye and corn is in the mash bill. I have the room and budget for one bottle of either but not both. What rye or bourbon would you recommend as a versatile base for cocktails ranging from Manhattans to Paper Planes? I'm not planning on drinking it neat. Right now I'm using Bulleit Rye, which is pretty good, but I'm wondering if there are other options I should consider.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where I get mine too...
But I get the Rye, because that's what goes in a Manhattan.
I have tree trimmers this morning, and I'm testy.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rye and bourbon are cousins that can taste pretty similar depending on how much rye and corn is in the mash bill. I have the room and budget for one bottle of either but not both. What rye or bourbon would you recommend as a versatile base for cocktails ranging from Manhattans to Paper Planes? I'm not planning on drinking it neat. Right now I'm using Bulleit Rye, which is pretty good, but I'm wondering if there are other options I should consider.

If you could only do one, I'd go for a high-rye bourbon. The straight rye is a little much for some cocktails.

Bulleit bourbon (instead of rye) might be a good option. Four Roses works too.

I tend to keep a mixing rye (Rittenhouse) and a sweeter mixing bourbon (I do Makers) so I have all my cocktail bases covered, along with the stuff I keep to drink neat.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Rittenhouse rye for my manhattans. It's a bottled in bond (100 proof), 51% rye mashbill that you can typically find for under $30 and works great in any cocktail that calls for either rye or bourbon. Found it at costco once for $23 and should have bought 5 bottles as they dont stock it anymore.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you could only do one, I'd go for a high-rye bourbon. The straight rye is a little much for some cocktails.

Bulleit bourbon (instead of rye) might be a good option. Four Roses works too.

I tend to keep a mixing rye (Rittenhouse) and a sweeter mixing bourbon (I do Makers) so I have all my cocktail bases covered, along with the stuff I keep to drink neat.

100% spot on advice about bullet bourbon.

it saddens me though that you don’t have room for a bourbon and a rye ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I grew up drinking Manhattans made with Canadian whisky. If you want to try something that you can drink like water try one with Wiser's Deluxe.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven’t done many infusions partly because I buy mostly spirits I don’t want to mess with - but this is a reminder to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace or similar for something like this. Bravo.
This- I always feel like a dumbass when I have people over and no ‘mixing quality’ spirits to use and end up sacrificing really good stuff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads