What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Is there any way we could work out some kind of an alcohol connoisseur's apprenticeship program?

Well, the course fees might be kinda high [​IMG]

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Had four drinks in three hours last night -- not unheard of for me, the last was a sip of Cynar. Have never been as sick in my life -- vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness. Also had some weird dish with some funky German uncooked bacon.

Dunno what happened -- maybe some foodborne illness plus a high alcohol intake. I have a hard time believing I got drunk enough to be vomiting from that amount of alcohol, which I've had before. This morning I'm fine except for weakness -- no headache or anything I've heard as hangover symptoms.

Umm...while not knowing much about what you drank, it looks like there's one obvious culprit that caused your problems. It starts with uncooked and ends with bacon. [​IMG]

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yeah....I think maybe yes. It was smoked, though. Drinks were an Aviation, a Sazerac, and a pair of Manhattans.

4. Piobaire

Seems like the best place to post this idea. It's an idea that is a year off for me, but some of you could do it this year...but I would be jealous.

Get together in Cali wine country for a weekend for those of us that really like to bend the elbow?

5. juniper

juniper Senior member

Isle of Jura 10 Year Old.

For people in the UK, Co-op has this on offer at £16 down from £24, which seems an unusually good scotch discount.

6. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Had four drinks in three hours last night -- not unheard of for me, the last was a sip of Cynar. Have never been as sick in my life -- vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness. Also had some weird dish with some funky German uncooked bacon.

Dunno what happened -- maybe some foodborne illness plus a high alcohol intake. I have a hard time believing I got drunk enough to be vomiting from that amount of alcohol, which I've had before. This morning I'm fine except for weakness -- no headache or anything I've heard as hangover symptoms.

This happened to me a few years ago, but although the alcohol intake (about four drinks, also) exacerbated the situation, the real culprit was fish that had apparently been too long beneath the heat lamp in a buffet setting. The food and drinks were free, recompense for a timeshare presentation -- always a dreadful experience to endure, but much worse when the free meal you endured it for turns on you!

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

This shit's the chronic.

8. Piobaire

[​IMG]

Popping the grenache for dinner. Rigatoni with Gorgonzola creme sauce, salad, fresh backed bread.

The sauternes and barolo are both going down for awhile. The barolo is down until 2012 at a minimum.

9. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

Alternating 3 MGD's and candy canes. candy cane=50/50 peppermint schnapps and hat damn.

mmmmm. . . .

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Dark and topbroker, yeah I think you guys are right -- I duplicated the event tonight but without that Speck, then I went and added a 30 yo Tawny and I'm essentially without adverse effects, which I am pleased about. I've never been drunk and I was embarrassed that I could have drank enough to be vomiting-dizzy drunk. I was just glad I was in my favorite bar where I was taken care of like family. Relationships are good.

Piobaire -- looks good. '01 was such a good year for Sauternes! I picked up a few halves of Petit-Vedrines (going from memory on the name here) and even they will be able to take some age.

~ Huntsman

11. andrewlef

andrewlef Senior member

12. Piobaire

[​IMG]

13. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

I wasn't planning on drinking tonight (I try to take a night off from time to time to produce the illusion of moderation), but I ended up having the following Harpoon selections: IPA, original Ale, UFO, and soon a Raspberry UFO.

Maybe not the most complex or amazing beers, but not bad!

14. Piobaire

[​IMG]

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Do you down a bottle every night?

I'm not asking as in implying you're an alcoholic, just really don't know. Do you open it up and have a couple glasses then stick it back into the cooler/cellar? Or once you open it, is it now or never like it loses quality after being open and not used quickly.