1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Naw man, he's actually right. Caesars are a lot better than pussy assed Bloody Mary's.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

:nodding:

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If you overstir simply reverse rotation and undo it.

3 people like this.
  5. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

WRONG!

Get a bigger glass and add more booze!!!

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Going to a scotch tasting festival tonight with a cold. Can't smell or taste. Hoping to create an "unfavourable environment" for the virus.

7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Used the Zaya Gran Reserva and Antica to make a rum manhattan; not too bad. Both rum and vermouth are high on the vanilla notes so they do well together.

[​IMG]

In other news, what do you guys like to do with the yellow chartreuse? I use a lot of the green but am not quite sure what to do with the yellow.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Widow's Kiss is the obvious choice. Fits the season too.

I haven't found a lot of standout uses for it other than that though.

1 person likes this.
  9. saint

saint Senior member

You can substitute it for the Strega in a Rye Witch, or any cocktail that uses Strega, but yeah, not a lot of uses for it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Decided to riff on the Yellow Chartreuse tonight.

Brandy, Yellow Chartreuse, Domaine de Canton. 2:1:1. Two dashes of lemon bitters.

I just swapped the Benedictine of the Widow's Kiss out for Domaine de Canton. The yellow Chartreuse and the ginger play nicely together. Brandy and lemon is the opening note, the yellow chartreuse sweet herbal note comes in, then a wave of ginger heat finishes with lingering sweetness.

It's a good drink. Might try a rye version later.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yellow Chartreuse? I think it is better than the green, myself. It mixes better with dark spirits, and has a wonderful affinity for bourbon and rye.

One of the best cocktails, period, is the Monte Cassino: 1.25 oz rye (or bourbon), then 1 oz each of yellow Chartreuse, Benedictine, and lemon juice. The Monte Cassino is like the dark spirits mirror of the Last Word, or a juice-bearing Widow's Kiss variant. Regardless, it is excellent. If you lean toward agave, there is a similar drink called the Last Rites; which, while I have had it and it is excellent, I have not made it and so have no recipe to pass along. It's googleable.

Another great yellow Chartreuse classic is the Champs Elysses: 1.5 oz brandy; 1/2 oz yellow Chartreuse; 3/4 oz lemon juice; up to 1/2 oz simple. dash of bitters.

You might also look for recipes for the Diamondback, the Puerto Rican Racer, and the Alaska.

And given that you have a bottle of Zaya, I reccommend my version of the Kingston if you are at all a fan or the Negroni: 1.5oz Zaya, 1.0 oz M&R Sweet Vermouth; 0.75 oz Campari, barspoon Fernet. Stir, and serve in an old-fashioned glass with an orange peel. It only works with Zaya, as the vanillin is essential.

~ H

3 people like this.
  12. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had myself a martini at home this weekend and I used a lemon twist as the sole garnish. What an incredibly different profile for that drink.

15. saint

saint Senior member

Funny, did that last night because I was out of olives. So used to having olives with it that it really was like a different drink.

16. PParker ESQ

What ratio are you gents using for your martinis?

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

3:1 Old Raj to Dolin dry, Fee Bros Gin Barrel Aged Orange bitters and a twist.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm 3.5:1 and I mess around with the spirits and modifiers.

19. saint

saint Senior member

4-1 Martin Miller Westbourne Strength-Dolin Dry, dash of Reagan's Orange Bitters.

20. PParker ESQ

Interesting, Johnsons (circa 1888) calls for a 1:1, as you can imagine that's quite wet and the vermouth interferes with the gins botanicals greatly, it makes me wonder what the gin was like back then!?
    Like you have all kindly shared, a dryer martini seems the norm. I vary between a 3-4:1 depending on the gin being used.
    Generally with a lemon twist, or flamed lemon if I'm feeling a bit showy.