1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Yeah, but you have 4 liters of vermouth.....

2. tropics

tropics Senior member

sounds like a solid weekend to me.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

It's really tasty, almost too good for mixing. I'd rather drink four liters of other fortified wines.

I found a dope new applejack. Arkansas Black Straight Applejack. Stuff kicks the shit outta lairds OP, which isn't even bonded anymore. I'm not sure what the retail price is, but we are getting it at $28 a 750 on a two case drop. I think it should be around $35 retail. We've got it in a cocktail called the Arkansas rose; applejack, lemon, allspice, grenadine, served in a champagne glass topped with sparkling wine.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Gran Lusso? That'd be the first time I've heard anyone but me referrencing it in here. If so, glad you like it too. I've bought maybe 5 liters of it so far. But if you think it's really tasty, why would you rather drink other fortified wines?

4 liters aren't that much, honestly. Negronis, neat or whatever and it's gone relatively quickly. Plus, the price is goood.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Picked up a bottle of St George Terrior Gin very impressed. Had it with tonic and a slice of lemon. Would like to pick up a bottle of Junipero Gin but the prices are absurd in Oz.

Definitely will be good for those languid twilight hours of summer.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Henri Bardouin's pastis is so good. Still haven't found a better one. Lots of star anise though, fwiw.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  7. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Anybody? Tanq 10? Beef 24?

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength Gin is supposedly really really good. I've only tried the 40% version so far. Quite a bit cheaper and pretty damn good: Broker's Gin (47%/94 proof).

Tanq 10 is pretty sweet, imo, and Beef 24 will serve you better

Might wanna try the Botanist too if the time allows it. Really nice gin. But I feel like you won't go wrong with Beef 24 or MM Westbourne Strength.

9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I haven't been too active for awhile. ;)

I'd rather drink Sherry than a vermouth.

I can't believe you've drank that many bottles! We've got very different drinking habits it would seem. At home I drank viuex carres, sour variations, or highballs (Paloma's or scotch and ginger ale).

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I would pick a different cocktail. It's not the easiest to balance. In my opinion a drink that takes as much tinkering as the pegu club is not a very good drink.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

I realized. :cheers: All the best to your (&) / your gf's bar, btw! [Edit: Also, this proves I'm not crazy. :slayer:, Gran Lusso is actually pretty damn good]

Very nice too. But very different too. Sometimes I love me some sherry, sometimes I love me some vermouth. Not quite comparable--although I usually prefer vermouth. Still have a few nice and two very nice bottles of sherry to drink. Something like the El Maestro Extra Viejo Oloroso (not quite sure about that one, but it's 0.7l) and definitely the Vinos Viejos Amontillado 1830 (half a bottle).

It's been 3 years since Gran Lusso was released, so yeah. That's less than a liter per half a year. Not much, really, especially when you're sharing some.]

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Fair enough. Been a while since I've had a Pegu Club, tbh. Still, my recommendations are still pretty solid, imo, in case he really wants to make that drink. What do you think?

13. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

B1os and Bowie, thanks for your input. Your take on the Pegu Club being difficult to balance is interesting. It was a staple drink in my repirtoir several years ago, and I found it a fairly easy cocktail to put together. Think I was using regular Beefeater, Tanquery Rangpur and I think even Bombay Sapphire. Can't remember which was best, but all were decent iirc.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Vermouth arrived, still tastes top notch. At 18.38 €/liter it's practically unbeatable.

15. saint

saint Senior member

So the heavenly Mrs Saint got me this for my birthday: [​IMG] the Crafthouse Smoking Box from Williams-Sonoma.

Obviously its kind of unnecessary, but its actually a lot of fun to play around with. I made a smoked Black Lodge the other night with applewood smoke, and it was really very good. I've also smoked cheese and butter in it and both came out great.

2 people like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Very cool looking. What generates the smoke? A smoke gun or does something come with the unit?

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Drinking at Franklin Bar tonight.

1 person likes this.
  19. saint

saint Senior member

Yes, as B1os quotes it uses a smoking gun that hooks into the box. WS had a 20% off promotion on bar ware, our local WS honored that for the smoking box, although online said it was excluded. It's really a fun toy.

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sampling the Buffalo Trace I put down a month ago and I'm saying it's ready so tomorrow I'll filter it back into the original bottle. Made an Old Fashioned with .5 rich simple, good old Angostura bitters, a nice orange rind, and 3 oz of the infused rye.