1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

We were drinking wine then somebody busted out a bottle of JW blue. Killed that bottle then went for more scotch. These were pretty good. The right one was an 11 year old glenmorangie that was honestly quite delicious and tasted more mature than I thought. I have a vague feeling that I've had it before. The one on the left was a 26 year old balmenach which I've never even heard of. There was also a new hot bartendress but a little old and plasticky. She was telling me how after she came customers started coming in earlier and in droves and that basically her life was hard

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    3 people like this.
  2. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Ive seen quite a few more independant Balmenachs around for sale recently.

1 person likes this.
  3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Mezcal is better than gin IMO for this one. La Ultima Palabra por Domingo.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

^^^ Truth. I had one recently with mezcal in place of gin and serrano. The smokiness of the mezcal and the heat of the serrano complemented the tang of the lime/maraschino and sweetness of the Green Chartreuse perfectly. On a related note, I actually prefer the negroni's cousin, the agavoni, which substitutes silver tequila for gin. The vegetal nature of the tequila similarly complements the bitter orange of the Campari really well.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'm a sucker for a green cocktail. Chartreuse :drool:

6. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Beefeater is solid for Negronis. I like it with Cochi, Dolin or even Martini and Rossi, myself. Just my opinion, of course...

1 person likes this.
  7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Interesting, wouldn't have thought of a silver in there. I don't tend to keep tequila in the house except for the occasional margarita (where I also prefer mezcal), but I'll go with an anejo typically if I am using tequila, but now that I have all this negroni stuff it seems only reasonable to add additional variations in there, right? :D

Found this on the great negroni debate, too. Seems a bartender and his girlfriend taste tested 25 different combinations and settled on Tanqueray and Cocchi Torino: https://drinksanddrinking.com/2015/08/04/the-best-negroni-in-the-world/

I finally got to have the VEP green and yellow last December. It was pretty great, a bit of the edge taken off, but drinking Chartreuse at all, let alone on ice as we did with the VEP is just begging for a rough morning.

8. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

[​IMG]

Giving the Ardbeg another crack

4 people like this.
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Been mostly using plain old M&R Rosso lately in Negronis since Hunts recommended it a while back (I've been an avid M&R (or any other "huge" company--for "niche" products---) hater before then). Sure, not a great vermouth on its own, but it works in a Negroni. Highlights the gin and campari. Punt E Mes is good too, but pulls the focus to it.
    Haven't gotten warm with Plymouth yet. I've only bought it once though. Have to revisit.
    I prefer London dry gins in Negronis too. But more herbal/floral gins like The Botanist or Gin Mare are good too. Even something very floral like the GVines can be a nice alternative once in a while (but use a lighter vermouth like M&R or Cinzano or something).

Drinking a Boulevardier now. 2 parts Rittenhouse 100 proof (BIB), 1 part Punt e Mes, 1 part Campari. Great stuff.
    Also had a few Spritzs.
    Equal parts Campari & Punt e Mes, topped up with a bunch of soda is nice too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Nice one - I don't have Rittenhouse so i just used Bulleit Rye instead but :fonz:

11. bapcha

bapcha Active Member

Well water from 2000 feet under the surface in Aptos, CA> Substantially better than Evian

Rob Shaw

12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

^ Evian sucks. Don't know if that was always the case but it tastes moldy and old nowadays. Jeju island (volvanic) mineral water is much better. Doubt it can be had outside Korea, though.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. bapcha

bapcha Active Member

Agreed - that's why I said "tastes substantially better than Evian"

1 person likes this.
  14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I must say this Old Tankard Ale is a lot of fun for the $$$.

[​IMG]

15. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Rittenhouse is excellent rye. I was sad but not surprised when they raised the price. Used to be able to get it for less than $20/bottle.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Pretty much every bourbon and rye has gone up substantially over the last couple years.

Evan Williams Single Barrel used to be ~$20/bottle, now it's over $30.

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I spent a semester at school in Lausanne, which was on lake Geneva and we could literally see Evian across the lake. I regret no taking the boat over to walk around and drink some water from a fountain. True story bro.

18. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

PSA: Old Black Maple Hill was overrated but tasted reasonably good. New Black Maple Hill is underaged shit. It's also not bourbon.

Has there ever been a bottle redesign that coincided with something good happening to the contents? Consider:
    -new Rittenhouse = different juice, much higher price
    -any number of age statement removals
    -historical:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  19. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

I'm not the biggest fan of Flor de Cana 18yo on its own. However, it makes a most excellent hi-ball.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Also, TotP, nothing readily springs to mind, which would refute your assertion. Not to sound like an old fogie, but with regards to bourbon and rye, even just 10yrs ago was a world of difference. Hopefully things normalize sometime down the road again...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.