• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gib, I was devastated when Plymouth went up to $45, as it was my go to at $27. Since then I have been trying different cheaper options to find a replacement. These have included Broker's, Citadelle, and Greenall's recently. I have settled on Broker's for now but am always willing to try something new if it becomes available.

Plymouth is ~$33 here, but I've never seen it go on sale (county run stores). Kind of high for gin, but (obviously) nobody else does a Plymouth style gin so kind of stuck with that.

Luxardo is the worst.

Yeah, that's another entry on my "get off my top shelf, you bastard" list. Milagro tequila too. I want that shelf for scotch, dammit.

On the other side, Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon is the squattest little bottle ever. Retailers must hate it, takes up a ton of shelf space.

Re: Gin, I've also settled on Broker's. Best QPR I've encontered so far. Beefeater's is € 19 per litre, which is great, but Broker's is just € 2 more (both 94 proof), and well worth the small markup imo.

That's been the next one on my list. Went for the Bluecoat this time because it was on sale, $21 was too good to pass up. Broker's is only $15, so that's great.

Anybody else branch into gin styles outside London Dry? Genever, Old Tom, sloe? Feel like I need to try some cocktails with them before I pick any up.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Galliano is the absolute worst.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never actually had Plymouth's. It costs the same as Brooker's around here (however, 82.2 as opposed to 94 proof), so I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the other side, Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon is the squattest little bottle ever. Retailers must hate it, takes up a ton of shelf space.

Not as bad as this one:

Yes, I have seen that in person. In the counter display, not on a shelf. It's a traditional ships decanter apparently, it'll stay stable on a ship that's bouncing up and down in a storm. Because god forbid the captain have to leave his cabin to get rum from a barrel in the hold.

Interestingly, that's the "British Navy Prusser's Rum" tribute to John Paul Jones, who became famous for shooting at the British Navy and doing a pretty good job of it.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried a lot of premium gins. There's not a whole lot that differentiates one from the other. I particularly like Aviation and dislike Junipero.
Anybody else branch into gin styles outside London Dry? Genever, Old Tom, sloe? Feel like I need to try some cocktails with them before I pick any up.

My bar is always stocked with Ransom's Old Tom gin, which is a sweet, barrel-aged gin. You will like it if you like whiskey.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For those that like the non-british style gins, and favor a G&T over a martini, Junipero is where its. I absolutely LOATHE it in martinis though. Something about the heavy juniper and vermouth makes for a me-no-likey combo.

adsmith4

Reaction score
Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager, a little different but pretty tasty.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've tried a lot of premium gins. There's not a whole lot that differentiates one from the other. I particularly like Aviation and dislike Junipero.
My bar is always stocked with Ransom's Old Tom gin, which is a sweet, barrel-aged gin. You will like it if you like whiskey.

Piobaire style edit.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aviation is a very nice sipper. I just finished off my bottle.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An improv drink as part of an ongoing effort I've been occasionally going back to to find or create more rum drinks that aren't tiki or long drinks.

1.5 oz Light Rum
1 oz Apple Juice
.5 oz Lemon Juice
.75 oz Ginger Liqueur
.25 oz Maraschino

Came out really well. The ginger and lemon juice took the edge out of the sweetness, but there's still enough apple juice in there to get some of that note. The ginger is the dominant player here, but everything else contributes and plays together quite nicely, IMO.

Only problem is that I just used my last quarter ounce of Maraschino. I had no idea that I only had drops left, I hadn't used it in a while. So no repeat test tonight.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads