• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that hot beverages seem very fashionable in this thread lately, I'd like to hop on the train: Due cappucci for breakfast along with some Krantz cake. For the evening, un doppio ristretto. Along with some Carlos primero. And earlier, as a digestif, an Amaretto Sour (again, the bestest). Also a CdP. White wine for lunch. Now some Coeur de Cognac. Over and out.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Long day at work, Mrs. Piob just texted to say she's caught in late meeting, so having a few ounces of my cask aged manhattan. Was put down Nov. 11. Going to pull it out as it's getting both concentrated from evaporation and is aged plenty.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Chrysanthemum is almost gone. This really is a nice drink, though a pain ********** to spell. Don't know what's next, though a Continental is a leading candidate. Maybe something with gin.

Haven't had a lot of serious cocktails in a while. My sleep schedule has been way off, and I wound up deciding to just go all the way around- stay up longer and longer until I was back on a normal pattern. Worked, but I've been caffeinated heavily and avoiding strong drink for a while.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Flip that. Add strong drink and avoid caffeinated beverages. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Coupla' Anchor "Breckles Brown" ales. Moving on to either Buillet rye Manhattans, or El Dorado 15yo with small vitolla cigar next.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Flip that. Add strong drink and avoid caffeinated beverages. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Oh, the process is already finished. Hence the strong drink.

Right now, Raison D'Etre while watching the Canes play the Flyers. Considering how the Canes D has been playing so far, I may need to switch to something a little stronger.

But hey, the Flyers just took a penalty, so the Canes' completely useless powerplay can take a shot at it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've given up on the PDT book in terms of finding actual cocktails that I like. Tonight, trying something new from Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, a book I've always enjoyed. The cocktail is:

The Fairbank
1.75 oz gin [Hayman's Old Tom]
0.75oz dry vermouth [M&R Bianco]
2 dashes Orange Bitters [Angostura Orange]
2 (heavy) dashes Creme de Noyeau [Haus Alpenz Walnut Liquer]

This is pretty good indeed, and I am enjoying it. I went with Old Tom for the sweetness, and likewise with a blanc vermouth rather than a dry (if I had to go dry, I'd use Vya Whisperdry). Although I love Dolin as my blanc, I'm out of it and it is hard to find, so I recently bought some M&R to try in my Smoke'n'Chartreuse and Tuxedo #2. This stuff is WEIRD, with what is to me a distinct dry chocolate topnote. It is really strong. But, I thought that might be nice with the walnut liqueur, which it is. Haigh reccomends Regan's #6 for the bitters, but I find Angostura to be more orangey and less bitter, and thus more appropriate for how I see this drink/

My Chrysanthemum is almost gone. This really is a nice drink, though a pain ********** to spell. Don't know what's next, though a Continental is a leading candidate. Maybe something with gin.

Haven't had a lot of serious cocktails in a while. My sleep schedule has been way off, and I wound up deciding to just go all the way around- stay up longer and longer until I was back on a normal pattern. Worked, but I've been caffeinated heavily and avoiding strong drink for a while.

I've never had a Chrysanthemum before - isn't a vermouth cocktail? I love vermouth; what's your choice? Incidentally, I hate having to spell Czechoslovakia, which I do frequently.
Oh, the process is already finished. Hence the strong drink.

Right now, Raison D'Etre while watching the Canes play the Flyers. Considering how the Canes D has been playing so far, I may need to switch to something a little stronger.

But hey, the Flyers just took a penalty, so the Canes' completely useless powerplay can take a shot at it.

I enjoy Raison d'Etre very much.

~ H

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Long day at work, Mrs. Piob just texted to say she's caught in late meeting, so having a few ounces of my cask aged manhattan. Was put down Nov. 11. Going to pull it out as it's getting both concentrated from evaporation and is aged plenty.

Pio, I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes my SO's 'working late' as the go ahead to pour a glass. :slayer:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had a Chrysanthemum before - isn't a vermouth cocktail? I love vermouth; what's your choice? Incidentally, I hate having to spell Czechoslovakia, which I do frequently.

I enjoy Raison d'Etre very much.

~ H

I'm not picky about vermouth, I just use whatever's cheap, but not too cheap.

And yes, it is a vermouth drink, in the sense that vermouth used to be used like vodka today as a base that stretches out the flavors of the other ingredients. The key interplay is between the Benedictine and absinthe. It's also really simple to make- 2pts dry vermouth, 1 pt Benedictine, 3 dashes asbinthe, which I interpret as one splash, stir and strain. It's a little on the sweeter side, but nicely balanced. Flowery and herbal, it's well named. Originated as the signature drink on the SS Europa.

And Raison d'Etre is a very good beer. Dogfish head came up with a winner on that one. I'll probably be sticking with Yuengling and G&Ts (which reminds me, gotta put some tonic water in the fridge) during the game, though the last one I have of those might sneak its way in there.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not picky about vermouth, I just use whatever's cheap, but not too cheap.

And yes, it is a vermouth drink, in the sense that vermouth used to be used like vodka today as a base that stretches out the flavors of the other ingredients. The key interplay is between the Benedictine and absinthe. It's also really simple to make- 2pts dry vermouth, 1 pt Benedictine, 3 dashes asbinthe, which I interpret as one splash, stir and strain. It's a little on the sweeter side, but nicely balanced. Flowery and herbal, it's well named. Originated as the signature drink on the SS Europa.

And Raison d'Etre is a very good beer. Dogfish head came up with a winner on that one. I'll probably be sticking with Yuengling and G&Ts (which reminds me, gotta put some tonic water in the fridge) during the game, though the last one I have of those might sneak its way in there.

I've become more picky about my vermouth than my base spirit, quite honestly. There are so many vermouths now with such incredibly different flavor profiles. I should drink more vermouth drinks because I enjoy them so much. Recently, some of my family has 'wanted in' on all my cocktailian contretemps, but for medical reasons prefers to stay away from huge amounts of the hard stuff. I've made her a number of vermouth cocktails off the cuff and have been very satisfied with them indeed. '

I'll have to give the Chrysanthemum a try; I am a huge fan of benedictine in cocktails (Rob Roy, Widow's Kiss, Monte Cassino, et al.) so it sounds right up my alley.

Dogfish is a great brewery; I drink maybe 20 beers a year, and their 90 minute IPA is high on that rotation.

~ H

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao tomorrow. How is it in a Pegu Club (actually never had one)? Some other cocktail ideas, besides Brandy Crusta or El Presidente for it?

Right now, Dark & Stormy while watching the game. Also a bottle of Robert Weil Riesling kabinett trocken in the fridge. An Old Fashioned or Manhattan in the break.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to get a bottle of Chartreuse, but I don't want to drop $100 getting green and yellow. Which of the two is more useful?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for green first. If not for the general variety of cocktails that call for it, then simply because a The Last Word is that good.
I sometimes miss the yellow for a Widow's Kiss, so I think I'll get some soon. It's not that expensive around here anyway.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Let me know what you think of the dry Curacao. It has caught my interest of late. Btw, will send you that recipe today.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and yes, I will. :)
The riesling isn't bad per se -- it has some interesting acidity and fruitiness -- but it somehow lacks much body. Overall disappointing for the money, definitely better stuff out there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads