1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Nah, not artificial. It's definitely quite present in the nose and imo on the palate too (some reviews say it's only in the nose).
    I paid 28, 28 and 32 € for my three bottles. It's usually around 40 € here though.

I like this review. He throws around lots of notes but the core of it is pretty spot on, imo. http://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-reviews/dark-rums/plantation-xo-20th-anniversary-barbados-rum/

3. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Whisky of the year - Crown Royal Harvest Rye.

4. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

I just happened to be on business and found a liquor store selling the Plantation XO rum for $40 and bought it. Wow, I really like it so far. Thanks for the recommendation. My have to buy a case as I can't find it anywhere else

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Glad you like it! :)

6. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Mount Gay Extra Old is hands down best bang for the buck IMHO. Really like ED12&15, FDC12 and Appleton21. Zacapa is a fine first foray into sipping rums, but is too much of an oak x caramel bomb for me. I always come back to the MG extra old though.

Tonight: Branca Menta riff on Mojito, with fresh mint demerara simple syrup. It's nice and herbaceous. Best for the warmer months, I think. Enjoying with a BoliPC.
    [​IMG]

7. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

OT

Speaking of rum, I love the newest Captain Morgan TV ad with the dancing Maidenhead. Way cool...

Anyone else?

Cheers,

8. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

If you're talking about the regular blue label Pusser's, I don't think it's much of a sipper-- it's pirate juice through and through, a stubby little bottle of esters and heat. It's great for mixing, though I think I like Smith and Cross a little better for this kind of rum.

Not a recommendation for sipping rums, but (possibly unnecessary) piece of advice-- rum, more so than any other base spirit, really shines as a blended base in cocktails. By blending rums you can adjust the amount of oak, hogo, heat, and dark rum to layer flavors and produce the perfect base for whatever drink you're making. Tiki trades heavily on this idea, but it goes for rum drinks generally too. Outside of a few staples (Nuclear Daiquiri, 'Ti Punch, etc.), I'll pretty much always use at least 2 (and usually 3 or more) if I'm making a rum drink.

I'll second the agricole recommendation-- even if you don't wind up liking the grassiness and hogo of a French-style rhum, you'll need one for 'Ti Punch. Even if you never sip your rhum again, 'Ti Punch is worth it.

Plantation XO is very good stuff indeed.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah. I really like 'Ti Punch. Especially the "hardcore" version without ice. I don't dislike rhum agricole, but I don't find myself reaching for it very often for sipping purposes. Then again, I only own two bottles of it at the moment: a bottle of The Secret Treasure Single Cask Rhum (aged from 1996 til 2003) and an unopened bottle of Dzahma Vieux 1998.

A large Hot Toddy today and now some Plantation XO.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Barman called it "The Bitter Truth"--a boulevardier but sub Laphroaig 10 and Kraken spiced rum for the bourbon. Very nice, and the peat didn't overpower as I'd expected it would.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Now I want to drink some rum. But I'm actually having a bit of Cointreau and Martell. Maybe it's a bootleg French Connection.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I really dislike rhum agricole. It's kinda gross by itself and overpowering in a cocktail if you don't watch it

Had some of that amara with lemon juice, lemon peel, and sparkling water. Was way too good. Drank so much I got really buzzed and now have a mini hangover.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Not now (it's noon), but last night:

[​IMG]
    A "Negronino," so basically a negroni with some Amaro Nonino subbed for some of the Campari. Very, very tasty. So pleased AN is available in Korea now.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

This… with my sushi of course.

[​IMG]

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

in japan it felt like if you drank alcohol at all (instead of tea) most drank beer or wine. champagne in particular was very popular at the nice places. or shochu

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Shochu. Good whisky culture in JP too. And sours for women.

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Agricole daiquiris are really really great. I normally slam a daquiri in 5 minutes. Those make me sip a little more.

3 people like this.
  18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Perfect late spring drink, just as the weather is starting to get warm. I love the funk and the vegetal taste in the spring.

I almost always kill a bottle in late April/May and then forget to get more until the next year.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If I'm going to drink wine with sushi I find a nice Torrontes to pair up perfectly.

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member