1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I love Suze best in the White Negroni, but not the original recipe. I do 1.75 oz gin, 3/4oz Suze, 3/4 oz Dolin Blanc vermouth, and 1/4 oz Luxardo. The use of Luxardo in the White Negroni was something I first saw at Cocktail Bar in Toronto, and I think it is what takes the concept of the White Negroni and makes it great -- the funkiness is a liason for Suze's incredible dandelion qualities.

Well, I am very glad that you and your friend enjoyed it. I was in NYC yesterday for work, and though in and out on the same day, I took a few minutes to run over to Eataly and get three bottles of my favorite orgeat, so there are some Art Decos in my future indeed!

Where? Is it a Heugel place? His Eulogy is one of the best cocktails in existence.

The drink looks great but that glass is fabulous! It looks really old, and I love the cut-glass rim.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Hey, I just saw Suze in the store for the first time yesterday and didn't know what it was. Might have to grab some.

denning always has the best glassware and takes good pictures to boot.

3. saint

saint Senior member

Huntsman, any opinion on Aveze vs Suze? I've got a bottle of Aveze somewhere around here, just need to dig it out.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I always make my simple margaritas with equal parts quality blanca tequila, Cointreau and lime juice shaken with ice and never salt on the rim. Great tequila has a natural salty after taste.I always try and find great limes. I look for thin skins and a deep green color for the best flavor.

Like the glass! Presentation is everything.

5. alexg

alexg Senior member

No, a wine and whiskey bar called Public Services. The guy who owns it is a badass who became an advanced somm at like age 23, and he always brings in really cool wines and spirits. Definitely not a cocktail bar though, they don't even have any sort of fruit juice. I like Bobby Heugel's bars, but I go very infrequently because they have some of the worst customers I've encountered in the entire world.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

4 people like this.
  7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I've heard that they are pretty much indistinguishable, but have not tried Aveze. Really, one can only drink so much dandelion and sunshine at any given time!

8. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Very jealous of the Ritt 25!!

9. alexg

alexg Senior member

I tried to order the Eulogy last night at Anvil, the guy had heard of it, but sadly didn't have the ingredients. I did try something off their new menu which is looking promising.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Struck out on the Buffalo Trace lottery for the year :(

11. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

Huntsman, your rum blend looks a lot like my rum blend. A fine blended base she makes.

Nice rye, too.

12. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Made a few Last Words.

.75 oz Chartreuse (the green kind, none of that weakbody yellow stuff)
    .75 oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
    .75 oz Boodles gin
    .75 lime juice

Shaken with ice, served straight. Pretty delicious.

13. turkoftheplains

It's a classic (or at least a resurrected one.) Lots of great variations on the equal parts formula of the Last Word out there too.
    Yellow Chartreuse is a fine sweetener-modifier; I use it like orange liqueur in contexts where I want herbal instead of citrus. Green is just Chartreuse and functions a bit like a base spirit and a bit like absinthe. It's great on the rocks, too.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

Not the best of the C-d-P from the region, but considering I got 6 bottles for less than the price of one, I was not too disappointed.

15. turkoftheplains

The Pope's New House makes some great wine. Vieux-Telegraphe is my favorite.

1 person likes this.
  16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

It is a lovely spirit. Though I will say that the Handy compared very well indeed, and is far easier to find.

That is not cool. I am very sorry to hear that! It is fussy on the ingredients side, but Strega, Arrack, and Falernum should be in Anvil's stable. I am actually disheartened.

Quote:
    We have some very similar spirits proclivities, indeed! Vieux-Telegraphe is not only my favorite CdP, but my favorite red. Not too long ago, I had a dinner with two bottles of '96. It was lovely.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  17. saint

saint Senior member

Ain't it the truth. Made your version of the White Negroni using Aveze instead of Suze. My wife thought it was a bit too boozy for her mood, so I got to drink both of them!

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

Agreed. I had forgotten I drank a bottle of that a few months back.

1 person likes this.
  19. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Boulevardier rocks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  20. turkoftheplains

Indeed. I'd actually say it's my favorite wine, full stop. I got my first bottle in Toulouse a long time ago, and thought it'd cost the same when I came home and I'd drink it all the time. You can imagine how that turned out...