1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it's hard to say what you have available in your area.

the top three famous producers i feel are laubade, boingneres, and darrozes. darrozes is a negociant. the first two produce everything top to bottom (i think)

the K&L guys really love pellehaut, laballe, and baraillon. i would suggest getting one of the exclusive 18 or 20 year olds on their site cuz i think for the age theyr'e fantastic values (this darroze in particular is really meaty). im not a shill but i really like their buys and the honesty and passion they have

delord and castaredes are also names to look out for and i think available in more places

if you dont want to spend so much ($60 - $100) a simple vs or vsop from one of the houses mentioned is a good bet (for like $10-$20 less).

also i feel like tasting at a bar, while not an optimal setting, is the best way to try some producers without committing to a whole bottle of something you might not like.

i feel like best values in spirits right now is rum and armagnac. 18 year olds for $60 is the prices bourbon and scotch used to go for 10, 20 years ago

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Rob Roys. 2:1. JW Black, dash or two of Ango bitters. First one I had with Martini Gran Lusso. Not bad, but not ideal. Second one with (an admittedly quite old bottle of) Cocchi di Torino. Better fit.

3. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

You should have Diet Pepsi instead of Diet Coke, It's much better. It's fizzier. It has a cleaner taste. It mixes better with rum and has a lower sodium content.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Burn the witch.

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i would think a higher sodium content would go better with the rum

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

I was wondering about that too.

Anyway. Martinez and a Rusty Nail for me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I was watching a youtube video about bitters and they said that mixing them with some salt neutralizes the bitterness and makes it actually taste sweet or something. Is this like a widely known thing I just learned or is this news to you guys too? I haven't tried it but will. I think they said add a little salt water to some bitters and you can taste them straight up better.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yes but isn't the bitterness the point of the bitters? As an aside I feel like it's really easy to over salt a cocktail. If you can taste the salt you put in too much

9. Master-Classter

well no, what i meant is for tasting, not mixing purposes. Let's say you're doing a tasting of bitters to decide which ones to buy. It's like adding 50% water to your scotch, you can actually taste it instead of getting distracted with the alcohol, so adding some salt water lets you taste all the herbs and spices and flavors without the strong bitterness. Plus in the early days, bitters weren't used as concentrated flavor shots as much as they were used as tonics and cure-alls, concentrated vitamins/minerals etc and the alcohol was only there because it extracted the flavors of what you put in it. Bitterness, even alcohol, wasn't the goal. And I would even make the case that today, bitterness isn't the only point of bitters, it's all the other aromatics too.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Who does that?

I highly doubt that. What would you think is more healthy, a tincture that tastes like lemonade or a tincture that's very bitter and thusly be more inclined to buy? (Aside from the fact that bitterness actually is, in most cases, healthy.)

Obviously.

I'll have to try the bitters + salt thing but I figure it's not very good to judge the bitters. Bitterness of bitters vary wildly (so manipulating them with salt, without having had extensive experience regarding the correlation of salt and reduction in bitterness in bitters, makes it difficult to judge the bitterness), and making bitters sweeter changes the whole thing too. I usually try them neat or diluted with some water.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  11. Master-Classter

I thought it was a well known practice. Adding quite a bit of water (not just a few drops) to really dilute a spirit down to actually taste it. Am I crazy?

My understanding was that these were historically cure-alls, basically people taking a bunch of herbs and spices and stuff with various vitamins/minerals and other 'benefits' real or imagined and soaking, boiling, tincturing etc them in alcohol. Of course they tasted like shit but that wasn't the goal. At some point when there wasn't alcohol for drinking available, or what was available was terrible (ie prohibition) people started either drinking these as is with some watering down in sodas or something or adding these to the spirits to give them some flavor and mask the terrible taste. So my point is these bitters were incidentally bitter, not intentionally. I could be just making this up, it's possible.

12. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

It's all down to personal preference. Some scotches handle water very differently than others (cask strength vs. your average 40-50%), I've had 130 proof bourbons that pretty much require some water to appreciate the flavor. I've been to high-end tastings where they recommend from a few drop to a 75/25 booze/water ratio. At the end of the day it's really what you like.

Not everything has to have strict rules on this forum. It's meant to be enjoyed, not criticized and obsessed over.

13. Master-Classter

Oh I didn't mean adding a few drops for drinkability, more like adding 50% water for 'tasting'/testing purposes so you can really taste the whole thing. Not to be done regularly, just as a technique

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

idk, I thoroughly dislike the taste of watered down liquor.

Yeah. My point was that, imo, back then, and to some extent today, medicine wasn't associated with something "pleasantly" tasting. So even if they were able to craft a neutral-tasting "cure-all", people would rather buy the version that tasted like shit. But maybe that's just me. Anyway, derailing.

Stocked up on some rum (and Campari) for good prices:
    3x Havana Club 7
    1x 1L Campari
    1x Ron Varadero 3
    1x Gosling's (still have a few bottles which I scored for 10 € per)
    (all in all for 75 € :slayer:)
    Been a while since I've had HC7. I hope I'll like it.

Last few days no real cocktails. Just beer and bourbon/Scotch while reading. 4RSB, Blanton's Gold & SB, Ardbeg Corry & Oogie, Lagavulin 16... such great stuff.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Cuba Libres. HC7 is aight. Not bad, not great. It doesn't have a great qpr at retail prices. It's relatively clean. But it's still pretty good.

17. saint

saint Senior member

Has anyone found a cocktail that works with Monkey 47? I've tried quite a few and have yet to try one that justifies having a bottle in the bar.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've never bothered with Monkey 47 due to its price tag, even though it's from Germany. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime if I can score it for a somewhat resonable price. I know it's relatively hyped around here but that doesn't mean a lot. Do you like it? How does it fare in a G&T?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  19. saint

saint Senior member

The cost is ridiculous, that's why I'm trying to find a drink it works with. I wanted to try it in a bar but couldn't find one that stocked it so took a flyer on a bottle. Great story, great bottle design, but, to me, odd perfumey gin that doesn't play well with much of anything.

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'll give it a try. Ordered a bottle of Monkey 47 (0.5 l) and 2 bottles of Bacardi 8 for 53 €. Pretty great--25% on top of already good prices. I'm no fan of the cheaper Bacardi expressions but I figure I'd be fair and give the 8 a try since reviews of it are pretty favorable.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015