1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Had a White Lady yesterday. Didn't get the egg as usual. The whole drink just took on a much more viscous state and was completely homogenous. Not bad, but not what I expected. At first I thought it was because I plunge my AeroPress into the bottom of the shaker and hence there's coffee oils sticking to the walls (after the pre-shake it was actually relatively frothy though..). So I cleaned it thoroughly and repeated. Same results. No idea.

2. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Dropped some cash today and got bottles of Fernet, Cointreau, Cocchi Americano, Tanqueray London Dry and absinthe today. (50 cl, 35 cl, 75 cl, 70cl and 10 cl respectively, about $180 total :crazy: )
    Anyways, just made a Wry Grin with Rittenhouse - definitely something I wish the bartenders in my area knew how to make.

Not the best area for cocktails - I had to explain how to make a Corpse Reviver No. 2 last night to a bartender at a bar that prides themselves on cocktails...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Which one? I tried the classic and the Leatherbee - thought the latter fantastic, dry Chartreuse verte spiked with absinthe.

4. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Barbancourt and Ginger People Mule + Trini Reyes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Bought a handle of Buffalo Trace today. Right now having a Manhattan of:

3 oz BT
    1 oz NP sweet
    splash of Luxardo
    eye dropper of Bittercube Wild Cherry bitters

Stir in mixing glass.

I plan to take about 20oz of the BT and infuse with orange rind and vanilla bean for a month and then age two months in a cask. Xmas Manhattans should be very good.

1 person likes this.
  6. Eastman

Eastman Well-Known Member

I been drinking nothing for like a year, I recommend it

1 person likes this.
  7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Get the fuck out of here.

3 people like this.
  8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Found some Bundaberg ginger beer yesterday and had a Dark & Stormy with it. It's good but Fever-Tree still wins hands down. I've got to try making my own ginger beer.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Reported.

2 people like this.
  10. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

My brother does this. He is a ginger beer freak - drinks it straight, drinks tons of moscow mules etc. Gets pretty expensive at 1.50-2 bucks per bottle.

According to him, the most difficult part is getting consistent heat from the ginger as the spice level of ginger varies greatly from bunch to bunch. He says he uses serano peppers to help control for base spiciness as they don't impart too much pepper flavor.

Basically you make a ginger syrup and add it to club soda, or use a sodastream to mix it.

2 people like this.
  11. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Did a tour of this distillery last week and came away very impressed!

http://www.westlanddistillery.com/whiskey/

They're making american single malt whiskey, really high quality and unique product - it's supposed to be distributed by anchor in all 50 states.

The whiskey is made with up to 5 varieties of barley (all Washington barley, except for the imported peat smoked barley that they use for the peated whiskey). The whiskey is aged in new american oak - save for a few limited release offerings that are aged in ex-casks of various other spirits.

Apparently they are also working on producing local peat to produce their own peated malt - but they said it will be 4-5 years before any of that is bottled.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I need to try and stop drinking for a year. But it's too delicious

I really want to make real fermented ginger beer.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Was planning to do Morgenthaler's recipe, with Champagne yeast and bottle fermentation. I'll get fresh/young ginger from the Asian supermarket and see how I like it. I'll report back on how I perceived the heat. Thanks for the chile suggestion.

I'll see how well I can juice the ginger in my Champion juicer. I'll just get a pound or two of ginger and see how much I get out of it. I think I'll use screw-cap bottles, that should work.

1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Seriously, try the tonic syrup first. The first 2-3 G&Ts I wasn't fully convinced, since it's quite different in taste, but now I'm absolutely loving it.

1 person likes this.
  15. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Four Roses small batch/Antica Boulevardier.[​IMG]

16. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I spit my udon noodles up.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It's easy and fun.

1 person likes this.
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, technically speaking I think that's more commonly considered ginger ale (making syrup and adding to soda), while "real" homemade beer involves using yeast to create your own carbonation through fermentation.

At least I think that's right. I could have it totally backwards. I've done it both ways (my daughter is a big ginger ale fan). Definitely easier the way your brother does it, and that's probably the way I'd go if I were experimenting with flavors like him. The yeast-based process is fun and satisfying, but there's a built-in delay as you wait for the fermentation, which could be inconvenient if you're playing around with other ingredients.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Then im guessing most comericaly available ginger beers don't fit that definition.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I gather that's right, although I think to the extent the definitions mean anything at all, it's only in the context of distinguishing between the different DIY methods.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    2 people like this.