1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

if you shake for 10 seconds then serve up and double strain it it should be less diluted then if you stirred the proper amount of time for it reach maximum cold (45 to 60 seconds). If you stir for less it won't be as cold but it will also be less diluted (because you can't get one without the other)

Hmm if I had thermocouples...

The manhattan is older than the martini and manhattans have a long history of being shaken.

I just actually read piobaires post. It won't really matter in the short term if you let the ice sit there versus stirred the whole time. It does matter in the long term tho. Once the liquid is at equilibrium with the surface of the ice (0 degrees) the ice will stop diluting. Great bartenders can stir without making any noise meaning no ice chips break off but any bartender can double strain to get rid of the crystals. I've seen that trick a lot which bartenders use for triage. Make a bunch of cocktails at once, let them sit while you're making other things, and you can shake or stir it less to have it reach 0 degrees

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, kind of missed the "15 second" part. :embar:
    How about putting the gin in the freezer, having the vermouth close to 32°F, then mix those to together, add the desired amount of ice-cold water, give it a stir, put it in a jar straight out of the freezer, place it in the freezer for, idk, 10 minutes. Serve. Maybe worth a try at home.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it'd be too cold tho at freezer temperatures. somebody wrote an article about that using thermocouples and blind taste tests.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think there is a bar in london doing this. I think I posted a link to them like a year ago. No citrus and no ice. Can't remember.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You are incorrect for two main reasons.

1) Enthalpy of Fusion
    2) Freezing point 80 proof spirits is about 17F

Given this is also an open system, as you noted above, the ice will continue to melt. It will melt much faster in a Kobbler as the metal conducts environmental heat in and the shaking action adds energy to the enthalpy of fusion.

Anyway, as to shaken martinis. See them all the time at bars and no one ever strains them. Ice chips ahoy.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

well its more complicated than stops diluting at 0 degrees (it'll actually cool below 0 degrees after awhile) because it's a mixture of liquids, but it's pretty darn close.

[​IMG]

looks like -5 degrees and not 0

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/09/02/cocktail-science-in-general-part-1-of-2/

are you saying shaking increase the energy (I'm guessing through heat and temperature) of the ice? because i hope you're not

also i use celsius

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I live in by god America and we use F!

I think we all agree shaking = ice chips and highly aerated. I noticed this bartender's martinis were exceptionally smooth and was just relaying his method. The fact I noticed they were smooth, and this was obviously what he was attempting, makes me think there's something there on an empirical level.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

we should all have a martini taste off at piob's house

and also drink some of his wine

(i never got used to farenheit when i moved here. still don't know what the numbers mean)

2 people like this.
  10. saint

saint Senior member

According to this article, actually a linked article, 007 was right: http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/191500/

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Uh no

The antioxidant content is insignificantly higher and is not healthier for you than say a few blueberries

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Right about what? We are here bitching about ice chips and over aeration and he said:

As to the thought of obtaining an anti-oxidant effect...well, I'll put my trust in a daily multi-vit and have a better tasting martini.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's designed to be at a human scale. 0 is about the coldest you get in a temperate climate, 100 the absolute hottest. It was designed to put the human body temperature and boiling water at 90 and 200, then was modified to get freezing and frozen brine as whole numbers as well.

They're both arbitrary systems. Celsius is built around the freezing and boiling of water to be part of a unified system of units. Fahrenheit doesn't try to fit in with other unit systems, it tries to be intuitive to how humans experience temperature. 0 is 'fuck, it's cold' and 100 is 'fuck, it's hot'. In Celcius, that range is what, -15 to 40? For weather anyway, I find that much less intuitive.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think it really depends on what you grew up with. 20 celsius to me is nice weather, 15 degrees is jacket weather, 10 and lower is coat weather

but that's good to know

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale. Pretty good stuff.

16. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Tonight:

Whisky Sour-

Maker's Mark
    Lime Juice
    Lime Zest
    Agave Syrup
    Oregano leaves

& an Old Fashioned

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Nicobar IPA (meh),
    Sambrook's Brewry Pumphouse Pale Ale (meh),
    Robinson's Old Tom with Ginger (interesting),
    Wychwood Ginger Beard (meh)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. saint

saint Senior member

G&T (while my wife makes lobster rolls) made with Martin Miller's Westbourne strength gin mixed with Jack Rudy Small Batch Tonic and lime, of course.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Having a Kicker.

3 oz Ketel One
    .5 oz NP dry
    .5 oz Lillet

Stirred. So smooth.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Death in the Afternoon with Jade Nouvelle-Orleans. Lovely.