1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Most likely. I just meant a gin that's not overly floral nor overly dry/juniper-y. I've only tried a limited sample of gins so that's all I could come up with.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

b1os, try "The Botanist" if you get a chance. Made in Scotland and they use Highland botanicals. Pretty delicate yet still has a backbone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The Botanist is good stuff. Worth picking up.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I finished the morgenthaler book. It's more a 6, 7 hour book cover to cover and I'm generally a fast reader.

I have a few thoughts about it. Started off writing a few things but it turns into a full blown review.

The book is quite good and fills a niche. It's mostly about bar prep type stuff and how to do it. A lot of it is remixed from his blog or his playboy column. A few recipes are updated but quite a few seem left alone (his Irish coffee and his oleo saccharum which iirc isn't even his recipe). I appreciate his inclusion of brands and even model numbers of tools and glassware he uses and where to find them (mostly oxo and cocktail kingdom). Particularly enjoyed where he specified the particular model of glassware an Irish coffee must use with no explanation given. There's science type stuff mixed in (with some pseudoscience eg he says no alcohol in plastics cuz alcohol leeches bad stuff from plastics even though bitters (and cheaper alcohols) are in plastics and he doesn't seem to mind that). There's a few tricks of the trade type stuff with an emphasis on making it approachable for high volume bars. I particularly liked the macgyver centrifuge. No idea why I never thought of that.

What's also nice is occasionally he'll say this is the history of this component or ingredient or how it's made and it's good in these types of situations.

Unfortunately those parts are too few and far between

I see a lot of laziness throughout the book. The orgeat section is a page dedicated to him saying how hard orgeat is to make and he didn't like the process and his friends make good versions and you should buy their commercial versions. Then he posts a japanese cocktail IMO a weak use of orgeat and then he says he knows nothing about the history and you should ask david Wondrich about it if you see it. In the intro to the chapter he talks about how his friend makes the most wonderful syrups and orgeat and stuff and he asked to share her recipes and she said ok so you anticipate the wonderful recipes and you get to the orgeat section but there's no orgeat recipe because he finds it hard to do.

He says citrus juices aged 4 hours is best (except for OJ) with a little chart of his preferred times but absolutely no reason is given.

There's a few sections where he's explaining how to do something like cutting a garnish then he adds a wrinkle saying to do it like this but it's unclear how to do it and there's no picture of this technique to elucidate what he means (eg he says for a thin wheel you should make one half bend forward the other bend backwards so they make feet to keep it upright but how're you supposed to keep a wheel upright on a liquid drink?) but the next page is a picture of flaming an orange peel like that's the more difficult thing to do. Descriptions of how tos are sometimes poorly worded so you have to read multiple times to form an image in your head of what he wants you to do. A picture would be so much easier

Pictures in general are more for show than education. Like in the section for citrus he'll list a few things but the pictures aren't labelled so if you don't know what a Buddhas hand or yuzu looks like you can't point one out (also because they're not even in the picture). Or he has a page dedicated to him shaking half and half in a jar like that really needs explaining. The only useful picture was the last one that showed the consistency of the final product.

There's also quite a few parts where he says do things this specific way unlike what I've told you with no reasoning or explanation given. like with ginger he wants you to add boiling water and sugar and young ginger in a food processor then strain that even though a page earlier he says don't do that with all other fruits because it's hard to strain a syrup. No reason given why that wouldn't apply to ginger besides that it's fibrous but being fibrous doesn't explain why you should do it differently

He also says buy everything organic even though studies show organic food doesn't taste noticeably different or even good for the environment

Also there's a section on herbal syrups and he says adding herbs to hot syrup browns the chlorophyll. His solution is to blanch the herbs then mix with syrup and strain it but he doesn't mention the temperature of the syrup (ie he talks about how high temperature ruins the infused syrup but in his solution he doesn't even mention temperature). Seems that you could achieve a similar product by macerating the herbs in room temperature syrup and not have to go through blanching.

His humor shines through generally and makes reading less of a chore and actually quite enjoyable but occasionally it's just overboard. Like the cafe brulot part was just so try hard like a little boy hammering the same tired joke over and over again. That and the blue blazer part seemed added just for the novelty and again no pictures to illustrate what seemed like a very involved process difficult to describe with just words.

I'm not saying there's not enough pictures. I'm saying there's not enough pictures of descriptions that need pictures and a lot of unnecessary pictures or pictures that don't really describe the process well.

I disagree with his crushed ice mojito because seltzer water gets really watered down and loses the fizz with crushed ice. It was meant to be made cubed ice as jerry Thomas pointed out.

There's a few places where he writes a page number that's pretty darn useless cuz there's no extra information there or you've already read it and he's mentioning not some detailed recipe but something stupid. Eg he writes in a separate section that his friend makes good orgeat and then writes a page number referring to the intro where he wrote that his friends make good complicated orgeat.

Otherwise the book is a wealth of knowledge and really an inspiration for a home bar or a bar program anywhere. The book shines in the details about making much of your ingredients at home and how to use the tools he prefers. Especially love the wealth of trade tips (like centering the glass portion of a boston shaker for a dry shake because there's no cold in a dry shake to contract the steel to create a seal). I think it just needs better editing hopefully addressed in a future edition. Book is like an updated craft of the cocktail with modern tools and science and rediscovered techniques thrown in. Basically it's about everything you need for a good cocktail program besides the liquors

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

2 people like this.
  7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Looks interesting. Lots of reading material. Do you know the guy or something?

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Lots of beer.

Lager, Hefeweizen, Stout, IPA, PA, ... mostly German and American. Some Austrian, Belgian.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:slayer:

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Drinking another Booker's Old Fashioned as that's the only Bourbon I have right now. I'm sure it's been mentioned but what is a good Rye for less than $50

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Most of High West's offerings are pretty good. Michter's US#1 rye is very enjoyable.

I like Rittenhouse a lot for mixing.

2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You can get a handle (1.75 litres) of Bulleit for about $40. Hard to beat that for QPR.

I've been drinking tonight (surprise!) Got a handle of Reyka today for $38 so had a couple of vodka Martinis (3 oz vodka, 1 oz NP vermouth, a splash of olive brine). Also had a few glasses of 2007 "The Treat" Cabernet Sauvignon with dinner which was tasty. Had a few Wiser's and coke and am now drinking a Boulevardier using Michter's bourbon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

You really love William grant products

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

How can you not?

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Bittercube Bitters has a certain oiliness to them that I need to capture in my bitters.

17. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

18. denning

denning Senior member

Eva Green
    2.25 gin (Broker's)
    0.75 Cocchi Americano
    0.5 Bittermens Commonwealth

This is Bittermens homage to the Vesper (hence "Eva Green"). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member