1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. denning

denning Senior member

All the talk of Sloe gin made me want to make something using my far too often neglected bottle.

Blackthorn (courtesy of PDT)
    It was ok. But it felt like something was out of balance. Maybe it needed a barspoon of simple to smooth it out, but between the sloe gin and the orange bitters, it was quite bitter. Normally I love bitter drinks, but this was just, off. As Huntsman has indicated before, the PDT drinks just don't seem to work 100%. There always seems to be something missing from the recipe.

Although, in fairness to the recipe I used Greenall's gin and the Bitter Truth sloe gin, not Plymouth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. denning

denning Senior member

Oh, I also did a variant on a Hemingway Daiquiri. I had no white rum so I substituted gin.

1.5 oz gin
    .75 lime juice
    .25 fresh grapefruit juice
    .25 Maraschino

Delicious. So refreshing.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The Peychaud's does matter, so good choice. I saw the Xcolatl bitters yesterday, but at nearly 30 USD a bottle that is a little rich for me. The last bitters I bought at that pricetag was the Abbotts (I think) which was NOT worth it.

Good, I will have to try it that way.

Cognac is that way for me. I rarely want it, but when I want it, it is the only thing I want. Thankfully, Gosling's in cheap!

Well, it is supposed to be just a rinse, but that depends on who is doing the rinsing, and the Peychaud's also has anise in it. So, I find the absinthe is very present, and its flavor does hit at the beginning and end of each sip.

Sounds great. As for the Blackthorne,I enjoy it greatly, but felt that PDTs recipe needed some changes to pump up that great red berry flavor, notably pulling the rosso and replacing with a red wine quina to remove that earthy muddiness of the vermouth, which, I find, merely diminishes the sloe, and adding a touch of Maraschino which also pumps up those berry flavors while adding a little sweetness. Mine is:

1.5 oz Hendricks
    1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin
    1oz Dubonnet
    1/4 oz Maraschino
    Fabbri Cherry

I've had it with Dubonnet and Lillet Rouge, but not head to head.

~ H

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

This thread finally convinced me to go out and get a bottle of Plymouth sloe. Did a sloe Negroni and I think it needs a different vermouth. The flavors weren't really distinct enough. What worked for you with the sloe Negroni?

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I just used M&R, Gib. I think that is my standard vermouth for Negronis, as it has enough wineyness to balance the earthiness. For Boulevardiers, I've settled on half M&R, half Cocchi vermouth del Torino. I like more earthinesss with the Boulevardier than the Negroni.

I want to try the Sloe Negroni with Dolin Blanc or with Lillet/Dubonnet Rouge. I am really into this drink and the way the Sloe gin works with Campari. I am thinking that a high gin, high vermouth variant with a little Campari might be particularly excellent -- maybe even with the absinthe rinse.

~ H

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I wonder if my vermouth might be a little stale (was using Martini and Rossi as well), it's almost empty and I can't remember when I opened it. Haven't been doing nearly as many cocktails recently. I'll crack a fresh bottle later this week and see if it makes a difference.

I was thinking about Dubonnet Rouge with the sloe. Let us know what you think.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Superbowl-drinks: The Last Word - Gin Tonic - Dark & Stormy, some Gunderloch Nierstein Riseling and some Rémy Martin Coeur de Cognac with a doppio.

8. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I had winkle 10 year and lot b while watching the game

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Pear gin fizz. 2 oz pear brandy, 1 oz London dry gin, 1 oz pastis (absinthe would be great but didn't have any), egg white, simple to taste. Very tasty actually, and surprisingly it works without any lemon or lime.

1 person likes this.
  11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Boulevardier

1 person likes this.
  12. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Liking these lately. Deets on yours?

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Last word.

1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm not settled on ratios yet. Yesterday, I've tried 1:1:1. Right now I'm having one with 1.5 parts bourbon to 1:1.

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

You inspired me, although mine's Rye instead of Bourbon. I'm trying the 1.5 now, and am not sure if I like it better than the 1:1:1. I'll have to have one of those later tonight or more likely tomorrow.

16. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Been on a bit of a Mai Tai jag as I made some orgeat last weekend. Made mine with Smith & Cross and La Favorite. Pining for some warmer weather here in NY.

1 person likes this.
  17. ElliotRyys

ElliotRyys Member

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I wonder how many people have made similar posts here as a right of passage?

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

or the ones that say water

2 people like this.
  20. b1os

b1os Senior member

Heh, what a coincidence. I'm drinking a glass of water right now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014