1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My pleasure. Congrats and. Enjoy!

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Gave the Ramos a try tonight. It worked out nicely. :tip of the hat:

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Drowning in the end of the semester.

Have enjoyed the odd whisky and bourbon; knocked back some Royal Lochnagar and Mortlach 16 with my father; also have had a couple of my new Ginza cocktail, a Vesper, and a few Boulevardiers (really hit the spot). Also had a Cure for Pain -- a Death and Co. Cocktail that has both a dash of Campari and Creme de Cacao in it (!). Exciting. Clearly not all on one day -- since my last post or thereabouts.

Am really feeling kind of dry cocktails of late. Currently drinking a Delmonico:

1 oz London Dry Gin (Beefeater)
    0.5 oz Brandy (Christian Bros VS)
    0.75 oz sweet vermouth (Petrucci)
    0.5 oz Dry Vermouth (Vya Whisper Dry)
    dash orange bitters (Angostura)

This is working quite nicely for me. I think I will have another. Would think this would be better with a fruitier vermouth like M&R, but Dolin Rouge most especially.

~ H

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

A straight pour of Benedictine. While it's very nice in the cocktails I use it in, sometimes you just want the straight article.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Mikkeller Double Eye PA tonight x 6.

Celebrating the first night of the NBA playoffs. Grit n' Grind Grizz!

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Tres Generacions tequila with lime wedges..

7. ama

ama Senior member

Pretty sure I found a place that has this at less than $300 a bottle. Would have to go back and check to be sure.

8. SkinnyGoomba

That would be amazing, please share. Do you have a hookup on Germain-Robin? I'm definitely considering one of their Anno Domini bottles.

Huntsman,

Sounds like the spoils of Tokyo are treating you well. :cheers: I agree that the special edition seems like a marketing ploy, but most seem to live up to the packaging so far.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's a 2L. This is the second batch. First one took less time, I think because I used less bitters. It took longer for the bitters and vermouth to oxidize and settle in this time.

Probably going to do a Negroni batch next time. Trick will be picking the right vermouth.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Ginjito, continuing the summer theme. With the mint and lime smashed up in there, it looked pretty, so I thought I'd snap a photo:

[​IMG]

If you're wondering about the coaster, there's a pile in ever conference room in the Senate, free for the taking after any meeting you may have.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Thought about it, but I'm sort of curious how the rye remnants will play with an aged Negroni. Seems like the Negroni won't require so much aging anyway.

Also not sure I can restrain myself well with a cask of Negroni. It's turned into my (almost) daily drink. I could barely stomach Campari earlier this year :happy:

Drinking one now actually, albeit with a splash of Cherry Marnier. Not sure it really adds anything special, but it's a little different.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I can see a Negroni made with Gran Classico aging quite nicely in a cask. If your Negroni is made with Campari, I think you want to preserve that sharp, bitter orange flavor, and not take the edge off.

14. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Had aquavit Bloody Mary's yesterday. Tasty.

15. denning

denning Senior member

Had a glass of nicely prepared Vieux Pontarlier absinthe. Mint, licorice, herbal notes. And despite diluting it down to about 28% or so, left a definite tingly numbness to my tongue. It was my first experience with absinthe like this, and quite interesting to say the least.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

About to be knee deep in Johnny walker for free (taste test).

17. Tom Miler

Tom Miler Senior member

Some cognacs and brandy we've been testing with my gf. You can also see the truth about he picture :p

[​IMG]

18. SkinnyGoomba

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Tonight, an Aurora, a concoction I couldn't find anywhere else on the web when I came up with it a few years ago, despite the simple recipe, so I named it myself and claim it as my own. IMO, it's really good. I've mentioned it a few times here.

2.5ish oz gin (Death's Door tonight)
    .75 oz St. Germain
    .75 oz Lime Juice

Shaken, garnished with a lime twist.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Cognac. PF Reserve from a Reidel Som XO glass. I am finishing up a semester, am totally sick of it, my girlfriend has been away and I am in a bad, bad mood. But this spirit is really, really, really soothing. I have not had cognac in a while and forgot how much I liked it.

The first night that I tapped that puppy was actually hard. I measured out 3 oz so I would know how much I was drinking. I had two, and I really, really, really wanted to go back to the well. Hard. I remember, I had a paper due, so I didn;t.

Cherry Marnier!! I have a bottle from the '70s that my father got for a gift; I know it is sold but I have not seen one since. I love cherry flavors in cocktails, and am always trying to work them in; must have like 5 cherry spirits.

I should make this because it sounds excellent.

~ H