1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

rye and ginger! yum. hard to believe rye is actually not that common outside of canada (from what i've seen).

Rye and ginger is a nice mix.

As for popularity outside of Canada; rye used to be a premier spirit in the U.S. also, but Prohibition killed its production and it never really snapped back, though there are five or six American ryes these days.

~ Huntsman

2. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

As for popularity outside of Canada; rye used to be a premier spirit in the U.S. also, but Prohibition killed its production and it never really snapped back, though there are five or six American ryes these days.

~ Huntsman

There is a vigorously active thread at The Fedora Lounge, "Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?"

3. eg1

eg1 Senior member

~ Huntsman

As a matter of fact, American Prohibition made some Canadian families very wealthy.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

There is a vigorously active thread at The Fedora Lounge, "Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?"

I do! Too bad you need a non-yahoo address to post at FdL, or I could probably add something of worth to the thread; I have a penchant for vintage spirits and cocktails.

As a matter of fact, American Prohibition made some Canadian families very wealthy.

I believe it.

5. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Lime, a splash of Coke, some ice, and Barbancourt 15 year.

6. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

I've tasked a surplus of navel oranges to Old Fashioned duty.

Dash of Sugar
    Bitters
    Bourbon
    Ice
    Club Soda
    Garnished with a cherry and oranage slice

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Few to o many bourbons courtesy of Mr. Knob Creek (one of my semester-ly splurges, the other usually being Cragganmore 12)

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Three bourbon-and-gingerales and two PBR's later, I've finished my online Calc III quiz.

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Ive never had bourbon and ginger ale. A neat combo...(gin and ginger ale is OK).

10. amlai

amlai Senior member

Ive never had bourbon and ginger ale.
    That's one of the best drinks ever, particularly if I don't feel like drinking bourbon straight on a night.

11. eg1

eg1 Senior member

That's one of the best drinks ever, particularly if I don't feel like drinking bourbon straight on a night.

If other regular posters are to be believed, Conne never likes anything straight ... [​IMG]

12. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I just came back from the liquor store with some Woodford Reserve, I won't be drinking it straight and I don't have any Ginger Ale. Any other suggestions?

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I just came back from the liquor store with some Woodford Reserve, I won't be drinking it straight and I don't have any Ginger Ale. Any other suggestions?
    On the rocks? Splash of water?

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

eg1:

http://www.loringwinecompany.com/home.html

Sign up now, they're releasing their 2006 Clos Pepe and it is supposed to be fan-f'ing-tastic. I got a six bottle allocation of this and requested another six if available.

15. amlai

amlai Senior member

Woodford Reserve is good stuff... but if you really need to cut it with something other than just putting it on the rocks, I suppose you could use either soda or Coke.

16. DNW

DNW Senior member

Woodford Reserve is good stuff... but if you really need to cut it with something other than just putting it on the rocks, I suppose you could use either soda or Coke.

Why would you buy a good bourbon and then use coke with it? Save your money and buy a cheap bourbon, you won't be able to tell the difference.

17. amlai

amlai Senior member

Why would you buy a good bourbon and then use coke with it? Save your money and buy a cheap bourbon, you won't be able to tell the difference.

I actually disagree to some extent. I think there is a significant difference in the taste when you use a decent bourbon in a mixed drink. However, you definitely won't be seeing me pour some Coke into my Stagg or Blanton's.

18. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

OK, apparently I haven't yet acquired a taste for bourbon on the rocks. I think I'll try a splash of Ginger Ale, as I'm not fond of mixing cola and whisky (I much prefer rum for this). Or maybe I'll a whisky sour on the strong side. Any other good bourbon drinks that won't completely mask the flavor of the actual booze?

Also, interestingly I thought it smelled wonderful, but the finish was way too harsh for what I'm used to. Premium aged rum is really all I enjoy sipping plain on ice.

19. amlai

amlai Senior member

Any other good bourbon drinks that won't completely mask the flavor of the actual booze?
    A splash of plain soda isn't bad. I hadn't tried that until recently, but it is less overpowering than the ginger ale.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

A fresh handle of old faithful... [​IMG]