What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

[​IMG] Go back to the merry go round, this threak is for the big boys.
    cool story bro [​IMG]
    Really? I had the 18 very old and was dissapointed, i would of taken it back if it wasn't for getting it half off at duty free.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Really? I had the 18 very old as was dissapointed, i would of taken it back if it wasn't for getting it half off at duty free.

Well, it's no fruit punch, I'll give you that.

3. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

Well, it's no fruit punch, I'll give you that.

true, I was too lazy to walk in the cold towards the packie for a 40 of Colt 45.

But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.

4. Piobaire

But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Given I have about 50 different bottlings...

Some of my current favs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anymore questions?

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

[​IMG]

6. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

[​IMG]

Anymore questions?

hows the kirkland signature?

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I have the same bottle and it's [​IMG]

8. Piobaire

I have the same bottle and it's [​IMG]

Agreed. It's Macallan 18 y/o sherry cask aged. Was only $90 or so, basically a steal.

9. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Spectacular, I have 3 bottles currently. Definitely auto-kop when it's on the shelves.
    true, I was too lazy to walk in the cold towards the packie for a 40 of Colt 45. But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.
    Most people don't like Canadian due to the bitterness from the rye, I quite enjoy it. While most Canadian is banal garbage, there are some hidden treats. I like Centennial as well as Alberta Springs and Alberta Premium. I still prefer the Wiser's 18 and find it better than Crown Cask 16. Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors, it's almost a dessert. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons. I can't speak as to why you didn't appreciate it, perhaps the problem was with your palate...

10. Piobaire

Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons.
    Hey now. You just described everyone I ever met until I was about 18. CC Sherry cask aged is another very good, inexpensive whisky. Personally, I find Canadians are the perfect whisky for manhattans. Speaking of which, really reeling it in tonight. About half my bottle of CC sherry cask aged after my Sauvignon Blanc for dinner.

11. boo

boo Senior member

12. denning

denning Senior member

Highland Park 18
    Oban 14
    Bruichladdich 18
    Lagavulin 16

Happy early Robbie Burns day.

13. boo

boo Senior member

14. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

Spectacular, I have 3 bottles currently. Definitely auto-kop when it's on the shelves.

Most people don't like Canadian due to the bitterness from the rye, I quite enjoy it. While most Canadian is banal garbage, there are some hidden treats. I like Centennial as well as Alberta Springs and Alberta Premium. I still prefer the Wiser's 18 and find it better than Crown Cask 16.

Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors, it's almost a dessert. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons.

I can't speak as to why you didn't appreciate it, perhaps the problem was with your palate...

I'll have to have my buddy make a Costco stop when he comes by.

I'm not sure why I really didn't appreciate it, but I've never been truely satisfied with Canadian whiskey. Wiser's was horrible per se but something felt missing that kept it from being great. Im not sure what it is with my palate. At the moment I'm enjoying Jim Bean Black.

Oh, GOD! Tim Hortons is not coffee, its more like liquid crack, all you need is a lil bit more sugar.

15. chet31

chet31 Senior member

In constant search of the perfect martini, which means denying myself the tried & true and experimenting ... but I sacrifice.

Martini 1:

3 dashes Fee Bros orange bitters
    1/2 oz. Lillet Blanc
    3 oz. Yahara Bay gin

Conclusion: I had to try the local distiller (Madison WI), but not liking the local gin. This is why I "hid" it w/ more than usual bitters. Also went w/ the Lillet Blanc rather than vermouth. A good try, I could live with it, but poured it out halfway through.

Martini 2:

1 dash Angostura bitters
    1/4 oz. Martini & Rossi vermouth (extra dry)
    3 oz. New Amsterdam gin

Conclusion: Much better, New Amsterdam is acceptable, but won't be stocking it in the future. Poured it out halfway through.

Martini 3:

3 drops Angostura bitters
    1/4 oz. M&R vermouth
    3 oz. Hendrick's

Conclusion: Hendrick's has a unique flavor (which I assume is cucumbers & rose petals), and wins taste tests, and although I like it, I just don't love it. For better or worse, I prefer the stronger juniper of Tanq, Junipero, etc.

Soccer @ 7A, better quit now ...