What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Man I'm sorry to hear that! When my childhood cat of 20 years past I was devastated.The loss of such a loyal friend is never easy.

That's what's killing me. He was only eight! Never sick a day in his life and seriously the the Shaq of cats. Been doing some reading and apparently some purebred ragdolls have heart problems that go undetected. He obviously died suddenly and without pain. I'm happy for that.

Eh, he was just a cat. Right? *sigh*

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Old Fashioned, now a Sazerac. I am both a pedant and a pretty serious cocktail geek, and I am fine with 'vodka martini.' It's fine, really -- the vodka is a qualifier that the drink ordered is not, in fact, a straight martini. It's something else. I think many get upset because the vodka martini has supplanted the martini to the point that a martini made with gin is no longer the de facto standard, and they direct that hostility to the phrase 'vodka martini,' which, truly is no threat. That sort of qualification has a long history in cocktails -- witness the Brandy Alexander, which is a variant of the Alexander, made with gin. That sort of alteration doesn't threaten the martini or open the door to any combination of things being called a martini -- it's just the swapping out of a single spirit with another spirit. There's no spirit called 'Chocolate' or 'Pumpkin' that I know of. My distress about the martini is the extra-dry malarky and the accompanying rituals as to what you do with the bottle of vermouth when you drink one. I really cannot tell the difference between a gin stirred over ice and served neat and one prepared the same but with a drop of vermouth -- to me, then, it is just snobbish sophistry that denigrates what is actually a good cocktail. Even more annoying (borderline unforgiveable) is the calling of any cocktail by the name Martini. That is ignorant and ridiculous. But the most annoying thing of all is someone who orders one of those 'look at the vermouth as you pour the gin' martinis AND who rails against vodka martinis. It's like snobbery squared (not implying that to you, cpt). ~ H
    God damn that drives me nuts. Don't wash my ice with vermouth. Its ridiculous and these snobs go to ridiculous lengths with this crap. My biggest peve is the ongoing effort to replace the gin martini with the vodka martini as the drink served when a "martini" is asked for. I shouldn't have to specify gin.

3. brisud

brisud New Member

Currently drinking Cappuccino coffee with vanilla syrup. One of the my favourite coffee and drink twice in a day. Lovely taste with vanilla syrup. I like Black coffee as well but mostly prefer to drink this types of coffee.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

just had my first dram of the day. And a bit of St. Germain straight up.

5. Piobaire

Good (and surprising) news. No hangover. [​IMG]

6. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Sorry about your cat. My beautiful Siamese, Coco, up and left after 15 years last year while we were on vacation. Broke my heart. I still have Stella, the sweet, weird Shiba Inu Japanese dog my wife found on the street 10 years ago. However, cats and dogs occupy different places in one's affections. Glad you're not hungover. Makes it easier to drink tonight!

7. Piobaire

Heh, thanks. Tonight will be lean. Just a few glasses of a Merry Edwards SB with dinner.

8. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

fruit punch kool aid... going well with my fried chicken.

9. Piobaire

Cool story, brah.

10. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

lulz at the direction this could quickly take

11. Piobaire

lulz at the direction this could quickly take

I'll revisit him if I should decide to indulge heavily tonight. [​IMG]

12. sumoha

sumoha Member

famous grouse. i hate it. doesn't hold a candle to hennessey or laphraoig, so i put some coke in there.

13. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

famous grouse. i hate it. doesn't hold a candle to hennessey or laphraoig, so i put some coke in there.

[​IMG]

Go back to the merry go round, this threak is for the big boys.

[​IMG]

Didn't use the LE bottle, used the almost empty retail one next to it. Tastes of maple, a little of the acidic rye bite and carmelized apples on the finish. One of my favorite whiskies, an underrated star for sure

14. Piobaire

[​IMG]

Didn't use the LE bottle, used the almost empty retail one next to it. Tastes of maple, a little of the acidic rye bite and carmelized apples on the finish. One of my favorite whiskies, an underrated star for sure

Probably my very favorite whisky from back home. [​IMG]

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Cool story, brah.

Racist.

Had a aviation and fever tree tonic earlier X2

am enjoying Ron Pampero Aniversario (however you spell it from the leather pouch)

was going to work on bonsai. Instead said fuck it i'll poast online for iValidation. woot. [​IMG]